Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Larry Coon on Gomes' Contract

Question:
    Hi Larry. Can you explain Ryan Gomes contract? Wolves fans are wondering whether he can be traded and then cut (if desired) by the receiving team. If so, the Wolves would have more options this summer.

Larry Coon:
    Yes -- his contract is non-guaranteed as long as he's waived by this June 30.

Question:
    Gomes' contract must be terminated by June 30. Since that is still in 09/10 fiscal year, and the trade deadline has passed, does that make it impossible to trade him without a guaranteed contract for 10/11 (e.g. cannot trade 09/10 expiring)?

Larry Coon:
    No, it doesn't.

The "no trade" period lasts from the trade deadline until the team's season is over. So right now, every team can make trades except the Suns, Lakers, Celtics and Magic.

The exception is players who are free agents, or might become free agents due to possessing an option or ETO.

But Gomes isn't such a player -- he has no option, he's just non-guaranteed.

He's what some call a "super expiring." Rather than his contract being over in another year, it ends immediately (with no money owed) if he's waived by June 30.

So he can be included in a draft day deal, for example, and waived by his new team.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/chat.asp?c...&status=Active

That is good news. Although I wonder if he is unaware of Gomes partial guarentee or if he knows something we don't ...
    "It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future." -- Yogi Berra

2. sounds good. I presume he just means that he is mostly unguarenteed as we all know. not sure it matters a ton though since we will just have his cap space to make trades at the beginning of July after he is waived. The only real differance is that we could clear the partial guarantee from our books by trading him before cutting him.

There may be a couple of advantages to being able to trade him prior to June 30.

For teams that are both trying to maximize cap room and trying to win now, like Miami, Gomes would represent a good hedge bet. If you get signals you can sign a major player if you free up a few more million, you can cut Gomes. If it looks like you'll strike out a bit on FA and won't end up needing every single dollar of cap space, you can keep Gomes as a useful player and claim that was the plan all along. Teams like Miami need flexibility + roster fill.

The other advantage would be that the Wolves won't officially have any cap room until after the draft, right? Because the 09/10 fiscal year won't be over yet? So on draft day the Wolves don't have any cap room to make deals. Gomes would represent a smaller slice of "free cap space" available right away for the receiving team.

This has got me wondering which teams would give up something we value for Beasley on draft day. Gomes to Miami, Beasley to Location X, Player/Pick to MN.
    "It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future." -- Yogi Berra

4. Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    There may be a couple of advantages to being able to trade him prior to June 30.

For teams that are both trying to maximize cap room and trying to win now, like Miami, Gomes would represent a good hedge bet. If you get signals you can sign a major player if you free up a few more million, you can cut Gomes. If it looks like you'll strike out a bit on FA and won't end up needing every single dollar of cap space, you can keep Gomes as a useful player and claim that was the plan all along. Teams like Miami need flexibility + roster fill.

The other advantage would be that the Wolves won't officially have any cap room until after the draft, right? Because the 09/10 fiscal year won't be over yet? So on draft day the Wolves don't have any cap room to make deals. Gomes would represent a smaller slice of "free cap space" available right away for the receiving team.

This has got me wondering which teams would give up something we value for Beasley on draft day. Gomes to Miami, Beasley to Location X, Player/Pick to MN.

meh. I don't think miami would take gomes and then consider keeping him. they would have to cut him before talking to free agents anyway. They might take him for beasley just to get more cap space though.

As for not having cap space on draft night, I don't think that is a big deal. I am fairly sure we can agree in principle to a deal and then consumate it 3 days later without any real trouble. Other teams offering cap space deals will be doing the same thing so its not like waiting 3 days is any disadvantage to us compared to most other teams.

That's a seriously good find, Wile E.

We're not going to see a deal involving Gomes coming, I don't think.... But if I'm looking for the simplest, cleanest way to cash it in, that might be a deal for someone's future #1 pick -- maybe the year after next, to stand in for the one the Clippers will be collecting -- attached to a contract.

One of the big FA destinations has to conclude that they need that extra $3 million to get up to the "Max" level (once or for the second time) now. They'd assume they were going to contend, and maybe wouldn't place huge value on a draft pick with its cap hold. In order to capitalize on Gomes's deal, they'd need to make that determination before the FA period.

I wouldn't object to such a deal, particularly. It might even net a two-year contract attached to the sort of veteran presence we've all considered, as well as that pick.

(Edit: Most likely, though? He stays here and gets waived. Kahn's given the $15 million figure about our cap space. He gets there via Gomes.)
    Last edited by Kestrel; 05-29-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Thread Information