Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Gophers Basketball the only show in town!

Well the Gophers host the SDSU Jackrabbits tonight and St Cloud native Nate Wolters who is coming off a 32 point 11 assist performance in the Jackrabbits first game of the year. Gophers will have a huge size advantage inside and the Jackrabbits gave up 32 points to their last opponent on the low post. Should be a big night for Trevor Mbakwe and the Gophers but they will need to limit the open loods by SDSU from the outside.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

“Statistics are no substitute for judgment”
    Henry Clay

Minnesota wore down the Rabbits at the end, but the Gophers really didn't exploit their size advantage getting out rebounded on the offensive glass by an undersized SDSU team. I am REALLY disappointed with Ralph Sampson's continued desire to be a point guard. I can't tell you how many times I saw him step out of the paint and go out to the arch. He would mess up the spacing for the guards and leave no post presence down low. When he would stay down low the Gophers were able to get good looks from the 3 point circle and hit the boards, but Ralph just REFUSES to stay down on the blocks and use his 250+ lb. body to his advantage.

The Gophers are really going to struggle come B1G season because they have no one other than Mbakwe that will bang down low. Also, when Mbakwe and Sampson get into foul trouble there will be absolutely NO presence in the paint and our shooting guards are too inconsistent to keep us in a game. Eliason looks like a big clumsy oaf that has no business playing in the B1G.

I'm hoping that these two games are just stepping stones and that Ralph and crew will embrace their proper roles and stay disciplined in those roles. Unfortunately I can also see the Gophers remaining sloppy and being lucky to play in the NIT this year.

Someone PLEASE head slap Sampson into embracing the reality that he is a CENTER not a guard! Uggh!
    We have forty-four defenses for him, but he has forty-five ways to score. ~Al Attles, on Nate Archibald

Quote Originally Posted by tinyarch View Post
    Minnesota wore down the Rabbits at the end, but the Gophers really didn't exploit their size advantage getting out rebounded on the offensive glass by an undersized SDSU team. I am REALLY disappointed with Ralph Sampson's continued desire to be a point guard. I can't tell you how many times I saw him step out of the paint and go out to the arch. He would mess up the spacing for the guards and leave no post presence down low. When he would stay down low the Gophers were able to get good looks from the 3 point circle and hit the boards, but Ralph just REFUSES to stay down on the blocks and use his 250+ lb. body to his advantage.

The Gophers are really going to struggle come B1G season because they have no one other than Mbakwe that will bang down low. Also, when Mbakwe and Sampson get into foul trouble there will be absolutely NO presence in the paint and our shooting guards are too inconsistent to keep us in a game. Eliason looks like a big clumsy oaf that has no business playing in the B1G.

I'm hoping that these two games are just stepping stones and that Ralph and crew will embrace their proper roles and stay disciplined in those roles. Unfortunately I can also see the Gophers remaining sloppy and being lucky to play in the NIT this year.

Someone PLEASE head slap Sampson into embracing the reality that he is a CENTER not a guard! Uggh!
    Sampson strikes me as a guy who plays basketball because he's SUPPOSED to. Great size and athletic ability, legacy kid, etc. But I never see anything from him that tells me he WANTS to play ball.

I think that's partly why he doesn't seem to have the heart to bang or fight. Its easier to just shoot jumpers and float around.

He's the opposite of Iverson - a guy who really didn't have much talent, but seemed to really want to play - and had a bit of a mean streak.

lots of problems.

This Gopher team is so tough to watch right now but I am not worrying about Sampson right now when the point guards have been so bad. Its early and the schedule has been made to allow the team to get tested but fames they should be able to win while the younger guys learn. Welch looks completely lost like almost all JUCO Guards do during their first year. Hollins has some athletic ability and skills but he is a true Freshman and that means he will have some problem. Ahanmasi had probably the best points guard play of the season last night during the second half but it has to be much better.

One reason you are not going to see Samson parked on the low post is Mbakwe is an All American and doesnt have the range Sampson does. Ralph should not be shooting three's but he should be at the high post where he can pass the ball into Mbakwe. The two key players other than the point guards on this team IMO are Austin Hollins and Rodney Williams they need to score 10 points per game and defend well. If Austin Hollins can knock down some jumpers from the outside it will really help the offense.

All in all Tubby has done a poor job of bringing in good talent that will stick around. The losses of Justin Cobbs and Devoe Joseph is hurting this current team. The injury to Mo Walker is also hurting this squad and their is no word if he will return this season their was talk of him red shirting this year.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

“Statistics are no substitute for judgment”
    Henry Clay

Thread Information