Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Kestrel is offline A friend is one before whom I can think aloud. RWE

Legend

One scenario that would take the sting out of Clippergeddon.

In what amounts to a return to our regularly scheduled big-market rumor programming, Hoopshype today is leading with a Chris Broussard column about CP3 wanting to go to New York. Ay yi yi. It's reassuring to glance at his details and realize this is just more of the same -- that Broussard hasn't got a handle, particularly, on the new CBA and that he's just trotting out the same ol' same ol'.

He also, though, moves on from Chris Paul to suggest that the Clippers are serious about Dwight Howard. His specifics go sour -- check out the list of young talent they'd supposedly offer and you'll recognize that two examples of that "young talent" are more like "caustic contracts" at this point -- but the outlines of an idea are there:

There are, however, a few other teams Paul would consider signing extensions with, most notably the Los Angeles Clippers. Yes, the Clippers.

Now that Blake Griffin plays for L.A.’s other team, the Clippers have become a hot destination franchise. Stacked with young talent, they could offer any combination of Eric Gordon, Mo Williams, DeAndre Jordan, Chris Kaman and Al-Farouq Aminu.

But while the Clippers like Paul, sources say they like Dwight Howard even more. The Clippers have made it clear to executives throughout the league that they will do whatever it takes -- outside of trading Griffin -- to get Howard, who will become a free agent at the same time as Paul, either this season or next summer. So they will not move the players they’ll try to use to get Howard to New Orleans for Paul.

Come on, Broussard. Mo Williams would be "young talent" sent to Orlando?

He's obviously not on top of that potential trade. Any Wolves fan could tell us one piece that would surely, surely go to the Magic if the Clippers traded for Dwight Howard (or Chris Paul) this year: The Wolves' unprotected pick. When you deal your star player, you get young talent and future picks. The Wolves' draft choice is a prime example of the latter.

And honestly, looking at that scenario.... If the Clippers sent Eric Gordon, another piece like Aminu, and our pick to Orlando in exchange for Dwight Howard, I wouldn't be all that put out seeing the Magic use the pick next summer. That'd be another fanbase that'd just taken it on the chin and seen a superstar dealt away.

We could be okay with that. It'd be a deal from a regime that's dead here, benefitting another franchise that would have just fallen on hard times.

Legend
    For some idea how out-of-it Broussard seems, check out his proposed Atlanta deal for Chris Paul too:

The Atlanta Hawks are another team that could offer New Orleans an enticing package of, say, Marvin Williams and Jeff Teague. It’s not known whether Paul would consider signing an extension with the Hawks but he is known to be fond of the city of Atlanta.

Yes, Marvin Williams as a significant part of "an enticing package" sent for Chris Paul. Uh-huh.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    For some idea how out-of-it Broussard seems, check out his proposed Atlanta deal for Chris Paul too:

The Atlanta Hawks are another team that could offer New Orleans an enticing package of, say, Marvin Williams and Jeff Teague. Itís not known whether Paul would consider signing an extension with the Hawks but he is known to be fond of the city of Atlanta.

Yes, Marvin Williams as a significant part of "an enticing package" sent for Chris Paul. Uh-huh.
    Is Broussard aware that we have Darko and Brad Miller's expiring contract to toss into the mix? And I hear Paul likes snowmen, too. If this is the going rate for the absolute elite players in the league, how come we cannot get our hands on Turner?

Oh, and the Clippers cannot trade our pick (well, unless the new CBA removed the restriction of consecutive years with no first round picks). They have already traded the less favorable of our pick and their pick to the Thunder, who traded it to the Celtics. So, unless the CBA now allows teams to not have a first round pick in two consecutive years, the Clippers are stuck (unless they take Orlando's pick back or get one from another team without protection).

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ Styles View Post
    Oh, and the Clippers cannot trade our pick (well, unless the new CBA removed the restriction of consecutive years with no first round picks). They have already traded the less favorable of our pick and their pick to the Thunder, who traded it to the Celtics. So, unless the CBA now allows teams to not have a first round pick in two consecutive years, the Clippers are stuck (unless they take Orlando's pick back or get one from another team without protection).
    Hrmmm. Not sure whether that represents a true block, or not. The CBA likely hasn't changed on that one, it's been locked in for a while now. I'm not tracking how the options would look next summer, after the Clips had already used the pick, either, in terms of signing and trading; we know signing and trading can still be done until 2013, right? But there were always several ways around the prohibition on such deals.

Either way, I just don't see this pick hurting so much. It's been a while. Clippers fans just lost a #1 overall for the privilege of not paying Baron Davis. Given their team right now, they're more likely to deal the pick or the resulting player than they are to develop another kid; they want to take the next leapfrog step with Blake Griffin by adding a D12 or a CP3.

We'll take our lump, here, and move on.

I'm with you. A lot of people are "upset" that the Clippers will get our pick. I am not so mad about it. Yeah it sucks that we gave it away a while back, but what happened to the Clippers last season is much worse than us giving up this pick a while back.

It was almost worse for the Clippers, too. Looks like the new CBA will keep the one-and-done rule for at least one more season, but if they had bumped up the age limit for the draft, the Clippers would have been totally hosed.

But, what are we seriously talking about for the Clippers? Barnes? A lot of us didn't want him with the #2 last year, so who cares if the Clippers get him with our pick. That is assuming that we "win" the lottery. I doubt we will be the worst team in the league this season. We will likely be sitting at #4 or 5 (hopefully higher). So, unless they get really lucky, they will not be getting a really early pick anyway.

Until the draft, Cleveland was the team that had the worst fortunes in recent history. The same reason Cleveland is no longer that team is the same reason I think the Clippers are that team now. Far as I am concerned, the Clippers deserve our pick. At least the fans do. Of course, they did get Griffin a couple years back, so maybe I shouldn't care. Still losing Irving and then us getting Adelman? Must be frustrating to root for the Clippers.

But, what are we seriously talking about for the Clippers? Barnes? A lot of us didn't want him with the #2 last year, so who cares if the Clippers get him with our pick. That is assuming that we "win" the lottery. I doubt we will be the worst team in the league this season. We will likely be sitting at #4 or 5 (hopefully higher). So, unless they get really lucky, they will not be getting a really early pick anyway..
    Ahh TJ. How long have you been a wolves fan? You have to know that wherever we are in the lottery this year.....this will be the year that our name is drawn #1.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsxman View Post
    Ahh TJ. How long have you been a wolves fan? You have to know that wherever we are in the lottery this year.....this will be the year that our name is drawn #1.
    Yeah, I thought about that, but these are the Clippers we are talking about. They are the unluckiest team after us. And they got #1 overall two years ago (and would have had it last year if they hadn't traded it away). I am thinking that the luck of the two teams (or lack thereof) will cancel each other out and our pick will stay close to where it lands.

Yeah, I thought about that, but these are the Clippers we are talking about. They are the unluckiest team after us. And they got #1 overall two years ago (and would have had it last year if they hadn't traded it away). I am thinking that the luck of the two teams (or lack thereof) will cancel each other out and our pick will stay close to where it lands.
    I love it when you advanced stats guys speak up.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by spiker View Post
    I love it when you advanced stats guys speak up.

(In actuality, the Clippers have had the #1 overall pick twice since the Wolves joined the league [picking Olowokandi and Blake Griffin]. They've also had the #2 overall pick twice [three times if you want to toss in Danny Manning in '88], and the #3 pick once [Darius Miles]. They really haven't been that unlucky. They just seriously sucked in terms of their owner's commitment to winning for a long, long time.)

(In actuality, the Clippers have had the #1 overall pick twice since the Wolves joined the league [picking Olowokandi and Blake Griffin]. They've also had the #2 overall pick twice [three times if you want to toss in Danny Manning in '88], and the #3 pick once [Darius Miles]. They really haven't been that unlucky. They just seriously sucked in terms of their owner's commitment to winning for a long, long time.)
    Manning was actually the 1 pick in 88 ...
    "He was trying to draw plays, and it was like a little Etch A Sketch. Like a kid just messing around." - Nuggets' guard Anthony Carter on Kevin McHale's first coaching stint with the Minnesota Wolves.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by dcv View Post
    Manning was actually the 1 pick in 88 ...
    (Jeez, I had it that way and then glanced at some table where they said #2. As you can tell, I only tuned in once we were around, and even then I was just a kid.)

Obviously "luck" was not the word I ought to have used. I did not mean to imply that the Clippers have never done well in the Lottery. I was meaning that they have had a pretty long run of futility, like us. Poor choice of words on my part.

Legend
    Obviously "luck" was not the word I ought to have used. I did not mean to imply that the Clippers have never done well in the Lottery. I was meaning that they have had a pretty long run of futility, like us. Poor choice of words on my part.
    Nah, we're just kicking things 'round. I mainly brought it up because it makes the Wolves' complete lack of lotto-ball good fortune even more conspicuous. This franchise has pretty much been denied top picks.

The Clippers are such a prime example of how owners set the tone for things. Donald Sterling should have been 'encouraged' to sell out back when he was so conspicuously running no payroll and making year-on-year profits, letting all his young talent bolt at the first opportunity. I'm not sure when we can say that stopped, but it seems to have happened sometime around when he matched a couple of offers for guys like Elton Brand.

Nah, we're just kicking things 'round. I mainly brought it up because it makes the Wolves' complete lack of lotto-ball good fortune even more conspicuous. This franchise has pretty much been denied top picks.

The Clippers are such a prime example of how owners set the tone for things. Donald Sterling should have been 'encouraged' to sell out back when he was so conspicuously running no payroll and making year-on-year profits, letting all his young talent bolt at the first opportunity. I'm not sure when we can say that stopped, but it seems to have happened sometime around when he matched a couple of offers for guys like Elton Brand.
    And yet..they still get the picks....

I think your right in that this franchise has been "denied" top picks.

Thread Information