Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    You're right but I guess it could still work if you traded for someone with a big deal currently. Not exactly what I had originally meant but it's still valuable.
    No the contract had to have been on your roster at the end of the '10 season. We cannot amnesty a player we acquire through a trade

Quote Originally Posted by WolvesBigTicket View Post
    No the contract had to have been on your roster at the end of the '10 season. We cannot amnesty a player we acquire through a trade
    Damn..................any interest in Billups? Despite the fact he said he would retire rather then go to a non-contender..........

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Damn..................any interest in Billups? Despite the fact he said he would retire rather then go to a non-contender..........
    I just don't see any way he'd come in here. He's been pretty vocal:

Adrian Wojnarowski

- For teams considering claim on Chauncey Billups, he tells Y!: "A leader can be as disruptive as he can be productive..This is about me now."
    - Billups: "People take my kindness and professionalism for weakness. They think Iíll be OK with (getting claimed). I wonít be OK with this."
    - Billups wants freedom to choose team. Warns those who'd claim him: You'll regret it. "I'm tired of being the glue guy."

Kestrel is offline A friend is one before whom I can think aloud. RWE

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    I just don't see any way he'd come in here. He's been pretty vocal:

Adrian Wojnarowski

- For teams considering claim on Chauncey Billups, he tells Y!: "A leader can be as disruptive as he can be productive..This is about me now."
    - Billups: "People take my kindness and professionalism for weakness. They think Iíll be OK with (getting claimed). I wonít be OK with this."
    - Billups wants freedom to choose team. Warns those who'd claim him: You'll regret it. "I'm tired of being the glue guy."
    Welcome to the new waiver system.

It's only being used for this one application -- players amnestied in the one time their teams can use the clause during this CBA. And the players involved are immediately doing what they can to determine their own fates, not surprisingly.

I understand Billups point of view considering where he's at in his career.

But at the same time it's extremely unprofessional, to announce that he could be a disruption for any team not of his choosing...as far as a lot of players and their entitled attitudes go it's nothing really that new.

I think he'd be a good fit for the Lakers who could then try a similar package they had going for Paul to instead try to get Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    I understand Billups point of view considering where he's at in his career.

But at the same time it's extremely unprofessional, to announce that he could be a disruption for any team not of his choosing...as far as a lot of players and their entitled attitudes go it's nothing really that new.

I think he'd be a good fit for the Lakers who could then try a similar package they had going for Paul to instead try to get Howard.
    Well he didnt say he was going to be a disruption just that hed rather retire than play for a team he didnt want to. I personally feel like hes earned that right. Kinda like GP did a while back, they dont wanna kill themselves when it might not be worth it at this point

Bull****, he'd be a disruption because he's be unhappy is exactly what it sounds like he's saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Bull****, he'd be a disruption because he's be unhappy is exactly what it sounds like he's saying.
    ESPN New York is reporting:

Chauncey Billups, reportedly scheduled to be fired by the New York Knicks to clear salary-cap room for Tyson Chandler, will consider retiring from the NBA if he is claimed off waivers by a team he deems undesirable, according to his agent.

According to the report Miller's agent said:

But I wouldn't be surprised if Chauncey retired rather than play for a team he wouldn't want to play for. "He doesn't need the money, his kids are getting to an age where he wants to be an active participant, and he doesn't need the frustration and instability he's constantly dealing with. So he may choose not to play.

Not really a distraction if hes not there

Quote Originally Posted by WolvesBigTicket View Post
    ESPN New York is reporting:

Chauncey Billups, reportedly scheduled to be fired by the New York Knicks to clear salary-cap room for Tyson Chandler, will consider retiring from the NBA if he is claimed off waivers by a team he deems undesirable, according to his agent.

According to the report Miller's agent said:

But I wouldn't be surprised if Chauncey retired rather than play for a team he wouldn't want to play for. "He doesn't need the money, his kids are getting to an age where he wants to be an active participant, and he doesn't need the frustration and instability he's constantly dealing with. So he may choose not to play.

Not really a distraction if hes not there
    There was a quote of his saying something like a leader can be a good thing or a bad thing as an unhappy leader can also be a disruption.

Kestrel is offline A friend is one before whom I can think aloud. RWE

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by spiker View Post
    There was a quote of his saying something like a leader can be a good thing or a bad thing as an unhappy leader can also be a disruption.
    Yep, Chauncey himself seems to have said he could be a loose cannon if he wants to.

This isn't a new phenomenon, players have always had the power to wrinkle their noses at a trade, too. Supposedly Lamar Odom was miffed about being dealt to Dallas until Mark Cuban dialed him up. Andrew Lang moped about being here when he was dealt from Atlanta for Laettner.

The amnesty and waivers system has a taint to it, though. And the types of players who get amnestied are likely to be making big money, which means they're maybe former star types who are used to better.

This stupid joker is still getting paid his contract even if he is waived. What exactly does he have to complain about? I wish somebody would teach these clowns a lesson and void their fat contracts for opening their stupid mouths when they should STFU!
    As a player, once you signed the contract, you cannot have a choice of playing or not unless you either retire or the contract expires. Nor can you have the luxury of dictating where your lazy arse would prefer to be traded. This whole thing is becoming ridiculous. Some of these guys think they are bigger than the system itself and rules only apply to them if they benefit them. Just like MIL drafted Yi against Chinese protests and threats, I wish somebody had the guts to claim this joker off the waivers and make him go to three a day while benching him behind Telfair and Flynn.
    Truth is not determined by how many believe it!

Yah..Billup's comments are a slap in the face to fans IMO. One of the main goals of the amnesty provision and also the lockout was to help smaller market teams compete, and I really liked the waivers/highest bidder concept. I love the NBA, but they really need to figure this crap out. The NFL has had so much parity it makes for a great league. The NBA, however, is dominated by the large market teams for the most part, and the players have the leverage to go where they want - the new CBA is not helping in the short term. They may as well call the league the Big 5 and Friends.

If Billups wanted to be able to choose the team he goes to, then he could have done what Rip Hamilton did and agree to a buyout. If money is not important to him as he says, why not agree to a $1 buyout instead of threaten to retire?
    People who ignore statistical evidence and purposefully downplay its importance show their judgment in this neglect.

"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." -- Isaac Asimov

"Ignorance never settles a question". -- Benjamin Disraeli

"Ignorance gives one a large range of probabilities". -- George Eliot

http://www.boxscoregeeks.com/teams/min?season=2014

I agree with Billups at this point. He has been a loyal player for a long time. Now he is getting tossed around from team to team to fill salaries. He asked not to be traded to NY, because he was playing for his home town team, but NY had to have him. So, he had to uproot and move to NY. 6 months later, they are about to cut him for only being the 3rd best player on the team. I would be ****ed, too.

I left my job for a new opportunity about 4 months ago, and my complaint list is much less than Billups'. I didn't have my family moved halfway across the country. I didn't have to go through a month or two of wondering where I am going to be living. We play a pickup game here and there and think, "wouldn't it be awesome to get paid millions of dollars to do this?" The NBA is a job. I know several people who travel for a living and they tell me how hard it is to be on the road and do a desk job; I can only imagine what it would be like to have to play ball on the road. It's not like they are just eating cake and dancing all day long. Being in the NBA is not easy, it's not a party, and it's easy for us to look at all the money they make and go, "how could you possibly complain" when we are waking up in the morning with our families around us, rather than working on the other side of the of the country on your kids' birthdays or while your wife gives birth, etc.

While I do think that it hurts Billups' legacy to make these comments and what not, I don't think there is anything wrong with him saying, "if I don't like where I am going, I'll retire". The comments about being a distraction are bad, but I see nothing wrong with him saying that it's no longer about the money and he would rather just retire than to go someplace he was not happy just to collect a paycheck. That attitude does nothing to us. He is too old to make a significant impact to us anyway, asside from offering good advice to Rubio. It's not John Wall saying he is going to be a problem for the team that drafted him. It's a veteran a year or two away from being out of the league saying he is tired of bouncing from team to team to team just to get cut and traded to match salary.

Quote Originally Posted by EA! View Post
    If Billups wanted to be able to choose the team he goes to, then he could have done what Rip Hamilton did and agree to a buyout. If money is not important to him as he says, why not agree to a $1 buyout instead of threaten to retire?
    I am with you more on this that I usaually am on the 'players rights' stuff, but at the same time, he always has the option to retire...all players do....he is just letting it be known that certain circumstances would really drive him to do that....I think it is a lot better than saying that he would bereporting and becoming a headache.

Thread Information