Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsManiac View Post
    But according to the logic of matching Batum's offer, why not let all RFA go and just match? For example, there was debate about if KLove was a max player. Why not let the market dictate that? Wolves have nothing to lose too. To me it seems Portland likes Batum, not enough to give a real solid deal, and Batum also seems like he is sick of the inconsistant minutes he gets in Portland. I think if Wolves shell out 8-10 mill it'll be enough to snab him. Something just seems fishy as if Portland wants to wait and see if Batum can perform to expecations by the end of the season...and Batum probably feels insulted by that move. For me, no need to give away your most physically talented player who is showing promise for a guy that we can possibly grab, and overall he is still somewhat inconsistant. I do love Batum though....still I also agree if we get Batum we have no choice but to trade DWill as he won't be a better natural SF then Batum and he'll never get minutes with Love. I feel if we trade DWill we can get a better player in return. Am I expecting too much?
    I think part of it is that Batum has such a small caphold when the season ends that they can make another move taking advantage of that and THEN resign him to his big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by SportsManiac View Post
    But according to the logic of matching Batum's offer, why not let all RFA go and just match? For example, there was debate about if KLove was a max player. Why not let the market dictate that? Wolves have nothing to lose too. To me it seems Portland likes Batum, not enough to give a real solid deal, and Batum also seems like he is sick of the inconsistant minutes he gets in Portland. I think if Wolves shell out 8-10 mill it'll be enough to snab him. Something just seems fishy as if Portland wants to wait and see if Batum can perform to expecations by the end of the season...and Batum probably feels insulted by that move. For me, no need to give away your most physically talented player who is showing promise for a guy that we can possibly grab, and overall he is still somewhat inconsistant. I do love Batum though....still I also agree if we get Batum we have no choice but to trade DWill as he won't be a better natural SF then Batum and he'll never get minutes with Love. I feel if we trade DWill we can get a better player in return. Am I expecting too much?
    People need to keep in mind that Portland made an offer to Batum, and Batum declined. It is not like Portland just decided to let Batum his RFA and see what other teams offered him. They actually made an attempt to sign him to an extension.

So, when you make an offer to a player and they refuse, and you have them in RFA next season, does it make sense to offer them more than you believe their market value is just to get them to sign the dotted line a year early? I don't think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Styles View Post
    People need to keep in mind that Portland made an offer to Batum, and Batum declined. It is not like Portland just decided to let Batum his RFA and see what other teams offered him. They actually made an attempt to sign him to an extension.

So, when you make an offer to a player and they refuse, and you have them in RFA next season, does it make sense to offer them more than you believe their market value is just to get them to sign the dotted line a year early? I don't think it is.
    I suppose. So the moral of the story is...if they're not a max player and are RFA, let'em hit the market and match the offer? Okay I think I understand it a little more now. But I still don't think we should trade DWill for Batum, simply because we could just give an offer that would scare Portland.

Thread Information