Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

From the AP- re Glen Taylor

Our intrepid AP reporter has a few tidbits to report on the Wolves

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...81T_story.html

Got a few other things you can find through his tweets- such as hoping TC get's renovated.

Big news is Taylor wants to find someone as a minority partner he thinks will step in and become the majority owner later on. Glen is not getting any younger so in some sense it makes sense for him to look to find a successor.

A bit more expansive

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/150235225.html
    Last edited by Ms. Wolf; 05-04-2012 at 05:35 PM.
    R-E-S-P-E-C-T find out what it means to me!

I'm surprised this thread doesn't have any other comments on it. I see both the positive and negative in this.

Positive - Taylor's planning to sell the team in the maybe not so distant future

Negative - He may penny pinch to make the team more attractive
    For more Wolves news, please check out - http://www.timberpups.com/

Board is pretty dead right now. The folks at Canis Hoopus had a huge to do about Glen's comments- of course taking it as the worst possible scenario, moving to Seattle.

Glen seems to want to win and win soon. He had a talk with Doogie as well on Friday after he was interviewed by Krawzinski- essentially Glen said- "I'm not getting any younger so I think it is important to have a succession plan in place.'

"Also, I am not getting any younger and I really would like a winner soon." , I think hiring Adelman- who also is not getting any younger seems to make it more important.

I was wondering if having won a championship with his women's team would want Taylor to want to win even more with the Woofies.

And he also said that he "urged Kahn to be aggressive to bolster the lineup around a solid core."
    Kahn can't do that without spending money. I expect some exciting moves to occur this offseason.

DR is offline <--- Hate it when these Wolves show up.

MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by jersey wolf View Post
    I'm surprised this thread doesn't have any other comments on it.
    The season was over two months ago. We got an early start in the sumer doldrums.
    You play to win the game... HELLO?! You PLAY to WIN the GAME!

Doogie's write-up on his talk with Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by spiker View Post
    And he also said that he "urged Kahn to be aggressive to bolster the lineup around a solid core."
    Kahn can't do that without spending money. I expect some exciting moves to occur this offseason.
    What is feeding your excitement? Kahn has wasted so many assets since taking over from McFail it's sad being a fan of this franchise.

I can only hope that an owner with some common sense takes over and breaks up the country club front office and hires a competent staff to run the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by FRUSTRATED View Post
    What is feeding your excitement? Kahn has wasted so many assets since taking over from McFail it's sad being a fan of this franchise.

I can only hope that an owner with some common sense takes over and breaks up the country club front office and hires a competent staff to run the organization.
    Maybe "excited" is not quite the right word, but my point is that Taylor is demanding some roster change. And don't forget, the Adelmans are integral to player choices going forward. Kahn won't be allowed to mess it up because Rick will tell him the players to go after and the players presently on the roster to let go, either in trades, salary dumps, and/or non renewals. Have faith, frustrated.

Maybe "excited" is not quite the right word, but my point is that Taylor is demanding some roster change. And don't forget, the Adelmans are integral to player choices going forward. Kahn won't be allowed to mess it up because Rick will tell him the players to go after and the players presently on the roster to let go, either in trades, salary dumps, and/or non renewals. Have faith, frustrated.
    The Adelmans are a wildcard. Because neither has ever had much say in player acquisitions. Rick has always worked with a strong GM.

For all we know, they might be bad at it.

I seriously doubt Adelman would be worse than Kahn in judging talent, so that something.

Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    The Adelmans are a wildcard. Because neither has ever had much say in player acquisitions. Rick has always worked with a strong GM.

For all we know, they might be bad at it.
    One can always look for the empty glass. However, I don't think one gets Adelman's rep without superb talent eval abilities. His son brings the advanced stats. I certainly would bet on them over Kahn.

One can always look for the empty glass. However, I don't think one gets Adelman's rep without superb talent eval abilities. His son brings the advanced stats. I certainly would bet on them over Kahn.
    Its not looking for an empty glass at all. I just find it funny that so many people automatically assume that because Adelman is a great coach, he's also a great talent evaluator. It doesn't always work out that way.

I mean, being better than Kahn is a very low bar, so there is that.

Kestrel is offline A friend is one before whom I can think aloud. RWE

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    Its not looking for an empty glass at all. I just find it funny that so many people automatically assume that because Adelman is a great coach, he's also a great talent evaluator. It doesn't always work out that way.

I mean, being better than Kahn is a very low bar, so there is that.
    Yeah, essentially we're pining for a change.

(Edit: I think we could infer from certain things Adelman has done that he's a "traditional, by eye" guy when it comes to talent on some level. However, his son RJ was supposed to be a bit of a Daryl Morey stats acolyte too, or at least we wondered if he was when the roles came out last year.)

The Canis reaction to Glen's announcement was pretty wrongheaded in my book. Glen Taylor is a loyalist almost before he's anything else. In the short term I don't think there's any chance he sells to someone who looks to move the team. Some of his major flaws spring from his meant-to-be-honorable-and-"loyal" traits, but that's a major good thing coming from it.

A lot of water'll go under the bridge before we even have to consider whether the Timberwolves might threaten to move at some point. And for boards of fans who routinely pine for Taylor to hand off the team to react to an announcement like this one by leaping to hand-wringing about Seattle.... The word "depressive" seems like a good characterization of that.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 05-07-2012 at 06:53 AM.

I took Glen's discussion with Jon K as something akin to "I jumped into owning a team and didn't know diddly." Because I jumped into it- there were a lot of bumps on the road, (see Joe Smith). I want an orderly transition to a new owner and have them learn what is required.

In Doogie's take he said that Taylor reiterated that while he did pick the option for next year, but not for the year after next.

As far as the "We will be aggressive this summer as I am sick of losing."

I think J-Kraw wanted to find out the deal on the stadium stuff, there is money fro TC renovation in the bill. It seems that if Taylor believes with a new CBA, and if the building gets revamped things should be pretty stable.

FWIW- Ideally the CBA lasts 10 years, but Mark Cuban is blaming the new CBA on his team being swept by the Thunder.

We shall see, I think the Player's Assoc (when it gets its issues worked out) might not like the new CBA much, as the exceptions have been cut down quite a bit.

Kestrel is offline A friend is one before whom I can think aloud. RWE

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Wolf View Post
    ....FWIW- Ideally the CBA lasts 10 years, but Mark Cuban is blaming the new CBA on his team being swept by the Thunder.

We shall see, I think the Player's Assoc (when it gets its issues worked out) might not like the new CBA much, as the exceptions have been cut down quite a bit.
    I don't think there's a chance in heck the CBA lasts 10 years. The window's in 6 more seasons, right? We'll have another go 'round then.

Mark Cuban's simultaneously telling us a) that the CBA kept him from re-signing people like Tyson Chandler; and b) that his team was dang good, and they just didn't get the right breaks.

"All I can tell you is, within the collective bargaining agreement we did everything possible to put the best possible team on the court.... Given what happened, I think we put together a damn good team. If we had one break, one call, one bounce, we're having a completely different conversation and you're thinking how smart we are instead of how stupid we are."

His team just lost, he's emotional, he's feeling defensive. We've all been there on some level. However, Mark: Lamar Odom. You know? You did pay big money to add someone, and it was a terrible fit.

I dont think Taylor is an idiot.

If Taylor wants to sell the Wolves in this type of economy he has to show that they are a value that people want to see. To do that he will have to win games and put a fun and exciting team on the floor that will sell out games. Last year the team sold out 11 games which was a season high sense the years of Kevin Garnett he will have to do even more to keep than number increasing next year.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

“Statistics are no substitute for judgment”
    Henry Clay

Quote Originally Posted by jersey wolf View Post
    I'm surprised this thread doesn't have any other comments on it. I see both the positive and negative in this.

Positive - Taylor's planning to sell the team in the maybe not so distant future

Negative - He may penny pinch to make the team more attractive
    Glen was pretty specific that he wants someone who will keep the team in Minnesota before he will sell.
    Publicity, fame and accolades can make a theory popular. They can't make it true.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    I seriously doubt Adelman would be worse than Kahn in judging talent, so that something.
    Hopefully, Adelman can draft someone without wearing Orange-colored glasses.
    We are the 25 of 30

Thread Information