Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lost in the Suburbs
    Posts
    22,400

    Political Donations of NBA players and Owners to Presidential Campaigns

    http://hoopshype.com/campaign.htm

    I thought about posting it in Forum to be named Later- but it does reveal something about the dichotomy between the ownership groups Political Affilations and the Player's political Affiliations.

    FWIW- None of the names and where the money went really surprised me.
    R-E-S-P-E-C-T find out what it means to me!

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Wolf View Post
    http://hoopshype.com/campaign.htm

    I thought about posting it in Forum to be named Later- but it does reveal something about the dichotomy between the ownership groups Political Affilations and the Player's political Affiliations.

    FWIW- None of the names and where the money went really surprised me.
    I don't want to make this too political but it's interesting that players being in higher tax brackets hasn't ultimately switched their political philosophies. It does not surprise me that almost every owner listed was supporting the political right also.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lost in the Suburbs
    Posts
    22,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I don't want to make this too political but it's interesting that players being in higher tax brackets hasn't ultimately switched their political philosophies. It does not surprise me that almost every owner listed was supporting the political right also.
    Some of the reasons why the players support Obama has to do with race is my feeling. However, I do know that at one time, I believe Barkley, said he was a Conservative. Today, I do know that Barkley, I believe has supported Obama. (I will try not to make it too racial either.)

    In the past, a lot of players did not take a lot of political stands, I remember some folks actually said that Jordan should make his political views known. However, being name brand conscious I believe he chose to stay under the radar on this issue.

    One thing about younger players, I think they are less conscious about saving their money and more on spending it. We can witness that in that Michael Beasley decided to liquidate all the stuff in his house in Orono rather than move it to Phoenix.
    R-E-S-P-E-C-T find out what it means to me!

  4. #4
    One could also look at the numbers and suggest a parallel to what many think is going on in our political process at large...Romney had fewer donors compared to Obama, but came out significantly ahead in terms of money.

    I'm a firm believer in publicly financed elections. I would prefer that our elected officials were working for the populace at large instead of the deep pockets. The best ideas/platforms should win, not the ones shouted the longest and loudest. Some election reform like term limits and some properly drawn districts would be nice as well.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    5,158
    in 2008 several players in the NFL and other sports came out and said it would be a hard decision since even the minorities tended to vote for the GOP because of the tax policies, but were looking at the first minority candidate who had a legitimate chance to win. I believe most of them did eventually support Obama.
    Publicity, fame and accolades can make a theory popular. They can't make it true.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    166
    Nothing from Taylor?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lost in the Suburbs
    Posts
    22,400
    For those curious about other leagues and owners- enjoy

    http://www.wnyc.org/articles/its-fre...mney-or-obama/

    Apparently although Taylor was a GOP STate Senator he has not donated to any of the campaigns.
    R-E-S-P-E-C-T find out what it means to me!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Wolf View Post
    Some of the reasons why the players support Obama has to do with race is my feeling. However, I do know that at one time, I believe Barkley, said he was a Conservative. Today, I do know that Barkley, I believe has supported Obama. (I will try not to make it too racial either.)
    Oh really

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TFunkadelic View Post
    Oh really
    Yeah really.... Are you implying that what she said had some hint of racial undertones to it?

    Try not to find something that isnt there...
    Last edited by kingsxman; 08-31-2012 at 12:38 PM.


 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •