Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 88
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,154

    I'll say it: Derrick Williams is a bust

    I think you can officially say that at this point, Derrick Williams is a bust as the #2 pick in the draft. He at some point may turn out to be a servicable NBA player, (he probably is now) but I truly believe that the potential that got him to be the #2 pick in the draft was a mirage. He has had numerous opportunities now to step up and has failed at every turn. The game last night was the last straw for me. The Wolves needed him to step up and be the kind of player that they hoped that he would and what did he accomplish? Missed layup after missed layup. Throw in a missed dunk and you have what, in my opinion, is now visable to the world: Derrick Williams will NEVER live up to being the #2 pick in the draft.

    Just typical Wolves luck to in that we finally get the #2 pick in the worst f**ing draft in NBA history. How many players taken past Williams in that draft are turning out to be much better players than he is. Sigh....

    The #2 player in a draft should be more than a serviceable NBA player. I cant blame the wolves too much becuase most places had him as the #2 player. So to me...this is squarely on the caged lion..I mean caged Llama.

    Last edited by kingsxman; 11-15-2012 at 08:22 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,347
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsxman View Post
    I think you can officially say that at this point, Derrick Williams is a bust as the #2 pick in the draft. He at some point may turn out to be a servicable NBA player, (he probably is now) but I truly believe that the potential that got him to be the #2 pick in the draft was a mirage. He has had numerous opportunities now to step up and has failed at every turn. The game last night was the last straw for me. The Wolves needed him to step up and be the kind of player that they hoped that he would and what did he accomplish? Missed layup after missed layup. Throw in a missed dunk and you have what, in my opinion, is now visable to the world: Derrick Williams will NEVER live up to being the #2 pick in the draft.

    Just typical Wolves luck to in that we finally get the #2 pick in the worst f**ing draft in NBA history. How many players taken past Williams in that draft are turning out to be much better players than he is. Sigh....

    The #2 player in a draft should be more than a serviceable NBA player. I cant blame the wolves too much becuase most places had him as the #2 player. So to me...this is squarely on the caged lion..I mean caged Llama.

    I had exactly the same reaction. It's as if he thinks he gets more points for an exuberant slam(missed) than a simple lay in. That is street ball. He also, like Beasley, can't pass or shoot the ball without first doing his square up, swing the ball low, jab step, I dare you ritual. He eats 2 seconds every time he catches the ball in an offensive set. I think RA left him in the same way he used to play Wes; to give the powers that be a good enough taste to finally choke on and start looking for ways to trade him. I'm sad for him, as he is obviously trying, but...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,779
    I guess you can say he has Stromile Swift potential!
    Truth is not determined by how many believe it!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    9,948

    I will say this.

    I don't think Williams has a chance to develope as a player on this roster. For whatever reason Williams doesn't fit into Adelmans system and it is clear he is not confident in what he does. It looks like a player who questions everything he does. As soon as we start to get players back from injury I think its time to seriously look for a trade. It would be great to land an OG that can be a legit starter. I think a trade is a need more for Williams than the Wolves as he appears to be a square peg for a round hole. Maybe we can trade him for a draft pick.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

    Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

    “Statistics are no substitute for judgment”
    Henry Clay

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf on the Prowl View Post
    I don't think Williams has a chance to develope as a player on this roster. For whatever reason Williams doesn't fit into Adelmans system and it is clear he is not confident in what he does. It looks like a player who questions everything he does. As soon as we start to get players back from injury I think its time to seriously look for a trade. It would be great to land an OG that can be a legit starter. I think a trade is a need more for Williams than the Wolves as he appears to be a square peg for a round hole. Maybe we can trade him for a draft pick.
    This.

    He may put up stats when he is traded to another team, but I don't think said team is going to be any good if he is.

    Adelman pretty clearly has no patience left with/for him. Time to send him packing for a pick. Which might be the next move you hear this morning if you don't hear about Conroy (or Lee) being cut in the next two hours.
    For more Wolves news, please check out - http://www.timberpups.com/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    9,948

    Conroy is that guy.

    I think Lee has actually shown a few good things now that he is getting some time. He needs more time to get into a groove.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

    Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

    “Statistics are no substitute for judgment”
    Henry Clay

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf on the Prowl View Post
    I think Lee has actually shown a few good things now that he is getting some time. He needs more time to get into a groove.
    Conversely, I think Lee sucks. He's a shooting guard that can't shoot and doesn't do "PG-things" (technical terms) well enough to play there either. The only thing he has going for him is a little bit of defensive prowess.

    My only rationale behind cutting Lee over Conroy is the fact that Roy is his buddy and there is some package there and/or it saves Taylor a bit more money (which I can't confirm one way or the other given stipulations in each of their contracts)
    For more Wolves news, please check out - http://www.timberpups.com/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    105
    What can we get for him.

    How about a trade with Houston for Royce White. He could play home games, have more family support here and if nothing else we save some money.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,183
    Quote Originally Posted by jersey wolf View Post
    Conversely, I think Lee sucks. He's a shooting guard that can't shoot and doesn't do "PG-things" (technical terms) well enough to play there either. The only thing he has going for him is a little bit of defensive prowess.

    My only rationale behind cutting Lee over Conroy is the fact that Roy is his buddy and there is some package there and/or it saves Taylor a bit more money (which I can't confirm one way or the other given stipulations in each of their contracts)
    Lee is fully guaranteed this year AND next, while Conroy is only owed $100k if he's waived, so the money factor favors Lee by about 15-to-1.

    (Also, there's no need to make this stuff to come up with arguments; all the details are available in one place: http://www.shamsports.com/content/pa...mberwolves.jsp )

    As for "The only thing [Lee] has going for him is a little bit of defensive prowess" defense is half the game, and being good at half of the game (while also helping out as a slasher/finisher offensively) is more more than Conroy can provide.

    Especially since the PG-things Conroy is capable of doing don't help from the bench. Even with only 9 healthy players, there are still two guys ahead of him at PG (with a 3rd day-to-day, and the 30+min starter expected back in a month), while Lee is one of only two healthy 2-guard options, with the injured guys at his position no guarantee to contribute at all for the rest of the year (remember, we've seen Roy as healthy as he's ever going to be, following an entire year off to rest his knees and a very recent round of Regenokine, and he made it through 5 games and only 122 total minutes; he might end up being a complete miss).

    Bottom line (other than the financial aspect) Lee played 35 minutes last night in the most short-handed game anyone is likely to play in the NBA all season, and Conroy played 4. Lee isn't the guy who's going to be cut.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,744
    Quote Originally Posted by jersey wolf View Post
    Conversely, I think Lee sucks. He's a shooting guard that can't shoot and doesn't do "PG-things" (technical terms) well enough to play there either. The only thing he has going for him is a little bit of defensive prowess.

    My only rationale behind cutting Lee over Conroy is the fact that Roy is his buddy and there is some package there and/or it saves Taylor a bit more money (which I can't confirm one way or the other given stipulations in each of their contracts)
    IMO, Lee's ability to defend alone makes him a better player than Conroy and the obvious choice for who to keep. Lee is still quite young as well. If he stops shooting threes, and plays within himself, he could develop into a serviceable backup. I don't see Conroy being a serviceable backup. Ever.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,121
    Lee is an absolutely tremendous athlete. He's got good size, great speed, great quicks and leaping ability.

    Unfortunately he has almost no skill-set.

    But he's still more valuable than Conroy.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,121
    From Broussard’s list of 5 players who look lost (Insider).

    Derrick Williams | SF/PF | Minnesota Timberwolves

    It’s hard to believe some thought this guy might be a better draft pick than Kyrie Irving. While Kyrie has gone on to stardom, Williams has been a weak link on an injury-ravaged Timberwolves team. He has been starting at power forward in the absence of Kevin Love, but when Love returns from a broken hand, Williams could fade into no man’s land. Even with Love out, he’s only getting 22 minutes a night.

    When he came from Arizona two years ago, scouts said he was a tweener at the forward position. It’s the same thing they said about Michael Beasley, and neither player (though Beasley’s problems are due in part to several off-the-court issues) has come anywhere close to experiencing the type of success they had in college.

    Williams is shooting a measly 33 percent from the floor and being outplayed by teammate Dante Cunningham, a second-round pick in 2009 who already has played on four teams. In other words, Cunningham’s a journeyman, and if Williams doesn’t get it together, he may be one too.
    This is my huge fear. That EVERYONE is now seeing what we see in Williams. Any trade value he might've had has to be plummeting.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,494
    I agree with all of the pro-Lee stuff that has been posted, but I want to point out something in addition. When our roster is at full strength and we have all 15 players back, who is more valuable to the team? I think it is Lee by a landslide. Lee is probably the best defender at the 2 (besides Rubio), so he will likely get more playing time than Conroy simply because there are going to be games where we put Lee out there and tell him to make Kobe look mortal for 5 minutes. At what point are we going to make a strategic decision to put Conroy on the floor over Rubio, Ridnour, Barea or Shved? I just don't see it.

    I can totally see (especially in close games in the playoffs) us wanting to run with Rubio, Lee, AK47, Love and Pek. Maybe not for extended periods, but at least when we want to put our best back court defenders on the floor. The same cannot be said about Conroy.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,744
    Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    This is my huge fear. That EVERYONE is now seeing what we see in Williams. Any trade value he might've had has to be plummeting.
    This is why so many of us wanted Williams traded last year, before his value declined. So now it may be another case of "addition by subtraction" if he is traded. Dropping his salary and getting a draft pick may be the best they can do with him at this point. Then pick up a guy like Birdman or Elijah Millsap to fill the void.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    Lee is an absolutely tremendous athlete. He's got good size, great speed, great quicks and leaping ability.

    Unfortunately he has almost no skill-set.

    But he's still more valuable than Conroy.
    I guess I need to clarify more strongly. I'm not saying it is the right thing to do, but something that could be considered, to keep up the chemistry in the locker room, appease Roy, etc.

    Lee is clearly better than Conroy. However, I don't think he's even in the rotation when this team is healthy. Essentially, he becomes Will Conroy.

    Maybe they are working the phones to package DWill and Lee to someone for a pick or marginal player + a pick to open up the roster spot (and save Taylor money longer term - thanks for the link LA).
    For more Wolves news, please check out - http://www.timberpups.com/

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,018
    Lee: Give the guy a break. Now if the first time he has been fully healthy since joining the team, and he hasn't even been able to participate in a training camp either last year (knee) or this year (groin). He's alrady a good defender and ball-handler so we might see steady progress form him over time.

    Williams: Agree he's not a good fit for Adelman, but he has shown progress defensively. I'm hopeful he will have a mini-breakout at some point. But it's hard to see how he will get minutes when KL returns. And we need his salary space to sign Pek and Bud next year. I'd like to see him go for a defensive big and release Amundson.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    From Broussard’s list of 5 players who look lost (Insider).



    This is my huge fear. That EVERYONE is now seeing what we see in Williams. Any trade value he might've had has to be plummeting.

    When ESPN starts to pick up on this, you know you are in trouble. Say goodbye to anything of value for DWill. Future, conditional first rounder, here we come.
    For more Wolves news, please check out - http://www.timberpups.com/

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,121
    Quote Originally Posted by jersey wolf View Post
    I guess I need to clarify more strongly. I'm not saying it is the right thing to do, but something that could be considered, to keep up the chemistry in the locker room, appease Roy, etc.
    Appeasing Brandon Roy is the least of my concerns.

    I had low expectations for him when he signed and they've gone down since.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,183
    Quote Originally Posted by jersey wolf View Post
    Lee is clearly better than Conroy. However, I don't think he's even in the rotation when this team is healthy. Essentially, he becomes Will Conroy.
    I actually agree with this. But I also think there's a very good chance that this team isn't going to be healthy at SG until next season, because there's a pretty decent chance that neither Budinger nor Roy contribute much of anything for the rest of this season. So Lee may be needed as a rotation fill-in for like 70 more games.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,154
    Quote Originally Posted by jersey wolf View Post
    I guess I need to clarify more strongly. I'm not saying it is the right thing to do, but something that could be considered, to keep up the chemistry in the locker room, appease Roy, etc.

    .
    Why are we even concerned about appeasing Roy? He has not really been a factor at all and I'm sorry to say that odds are that he will not be at this point. Other than a good locker room presence and veteran to help the young guys.

    Sorry, but I think this is beyond insane. Lee has shown alot so far while Conroy has shown nothing.


 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •