Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 99 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    He can shoot. But doesn't give you anything else. And he's 30.
    And nothing alse, literally means NOTHING, not even close to below average. I actually saw stretches where he was trying to play team defense, but he is just a horrible player, slow, no lift.
    “We want to make plays to win basketball games, not to answer any questions or respond to what people have to say about us,” James

Quote Originally Posted by vlad View Post
    And nothing alse, literally means NOTHING, not even close to below average. I actually saw stretches where he was trying to play team defense, but he is just a horrible player, slow, no lift.
    Horrible is so relative. 99.9 % of all people would be destroyed by him playing a game of one on one.

Quote Originally Posted by KGdaBom View Post
    Horrible is so relative. 99.9 % of all people would be destroyed by him playing a game of one on one.
    I'm surprised it took them that long to cut him. The real question is what do they do with Payne.

To bad in the NBA you are playing against the .1%!

Saw the Wolves being mentioned with interest in Eric Gordon if he opts out with the Pelicans. I would have to believe this would be a price is right situation. Gordon would help the outside shooting but after that not much.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

“Statistics are no substitute for judgment”
    Henry Clay

I think we should go after Conley and that case trade Dunn or Rubio/Lavine for Butler! Can anyone imagine Conley and Butler as the back court? Ouch!
    “We want to make plays to win basketball games, not to answer any questions or respond to what people have to say about us,” James

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf on the Prowl View Post
    To bad in the NBA you are playing against the .1%!

Saw the Wolves being mentioned with interest in Eric Gordon if he opts out with the Pelicans. I would have to believe this would be a price is right situation. Gordon would help the outside shooting but after that not much.
    By no means am I enamored with Gordon, but the FA market is weak in perimeter shooting. He's worth a look if the price is reasonable. I doubt it will be though. What other perimeter shooters are available? E'Twan Moore has been mentioned.

Taj Gibson was mentioned as a trade target. He'd help for sure and if we could do it for Bazz/Tyus, that's a no brainer given Bazz's soon coming FA. I'd also look at what it would take to get Ben Mclemore from Sacto. I'd offer them Bazz straight up. Bazz has been a better offensive player thus far, but I wonder about Mclemore's 2 way potential as a role playing 3 and D guy. Maybe a change of scenery would do him good?

Quote Originally Posted by vlad View Post
    No one did the "running man" better on the sidelines though than old RamJam Rudez!

Quote Originally Posted by stlouiswolf View Post
    I'm surprised it took them that long to cut him. The real question is what do they do with Payne.
    I wonder if Thibs can do anything with Payne? The odds are long but if Payne just rebounded hard on both sides and took all of his shots close to the basket, and defended tough, he could get a few minutes. He has excellent physical tools but you can't let him shoot beyond fifteen feet. Thibs has his work cut out for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    I wonder if Thibs can do anything with Payne? The odds are long but if Payne just rebounded hard on both sides and took all of his shots close to the basket, and defended tough, he could get a few minutes. He has excellent physical tools but you can't let him shoot beyond fifteen feet. Thibs has his work cut out for him.
    I personally wouldn't waste any time at all trying to develop Payne. I'd cut him and either just keep his roster spot open or sign a D League big like a Greg Smith, anyone really. At least that way there's no chance for Payne to accidentally injury a teammate in practice with his lack of body control. I'm serious....I'm more worried he hurts one of our own guys than could ever add anything on the court.

What will they do with Payne? Remember Thibs has said that the Twolves need to get more physical. Payne has that physicality so don't be surprised if Thibs finds some use for him.

Quote Originally Posted by LHU View Post
    What will they do with Payne? Remember Thibs has said that the Twolves need to get more physical. Payne has that physicality so don't be surprised if Thibs finds some use for him.
    He can make Taj Gibson out of him

I don't think Payne is that physical he tries to avoid contact as much as possible or stands out on the wing during up ugly jumpers.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Henry Clay

I don't think Payne is that physical he tries to avoid contact as much as possible or stands out on the wing during up ugly jumpers.
    That's the problem. He can be that physical player but just doesn't want to do it. He wants to be the hot shot 3 pt shooter which he is not. He has outstanding size, length and athleticism for the PF position. After all Atlanta drafted him 15th overall and Flip loved him so he has to have something. Maybe Thibs can get through to this guy.

The one thing that is almost impossible to change is mindset. Being physical or aggressive is one of those things you have it you don't. Payne has played one way his entire career college included what makes you think he will just change? Even if he could change would he be good enough to make a real difference? I don't see it.

Henry Clay

The high school yearbook (graduating class class of 2010!) picture of Thon Maker would be a bit concerning if I were a Bucks fan...

The one thing that is almost impossible to change is mindset. Being physical or aggressive is one of those things you have it you don't. Payne has played one way his entire career college included what makes you think he will just change? Even if he could change would he be good enough to make a real difference? I don't see it.
    That is true. Good point. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. Maybe Thibs can light the fire?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    That is true. Good point. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. Maybe Thibs can light the fire?
    I'm not sure fire is his problem. I really think he processes things very slowly.

He has severe learning disabilities, and I give him all the credit in the world for fighting his *** off to become a really good student and not be held down by them.

But...There is a HUGE difference between being able to take tests untimed, or being able to spend more time than others on homework and processing and reacting to what is happening on a basketball court in real time. I think its likely the game will never "slow down" enough for him to be a positive factor.

Watch him play, he's totally lost on defense if he has to look away from his man, he plows through everyone on both teams, he knocks rebounds away from his teammates. I've said it before, but it really looks like he has no idea where his hands and feet are on any given play. He looks completely overwhelmed by all the moving parts of a game.

Quote Originally Posted by EA! View Post
    The high school yearbook (graduating class class of 2010!) picture of Thon Maker would be a bit concerning if I were a Bucks fan...
    Hugely concerning. A raw 19 year old that never played college ball is a good gamble.

But a raw 23 year-old that has never faced more than high school competition? The odds of him becoming anything would be astronomical.

Hugely concerning. A raw 19 year old that never played college ball is a good gamble.

But a raw 23 year-old that has never faced more than high school competition? The odds of him becoming anything would be astronomical.
    Is there any info from the school? It seems like it should be a pretty easy confirmation to find out when he graduated.

I'm not sure fire is his problem. I really think he processes things very slowly.

He has severe learning disabilities, and I give him all the credit in the world for fighting his *** off to become a really good student and not be held down by them.

But...There is a HUGE difference between being able to take tests untimed, or being able to spend more time than others on homework and processing and reacting to what is happening on a basketball court in real time. I think its likely the game will never "slow down" enough for him to be a positive factor.

Watch him play, he's totally lost on defense if he has to look away from his man, he plows through everyone on both teams, he knocks rebounds away from his teammates. I've said it before, but it really looks like he has no idea where his hands and feet are on any given play. He looks completely overwhelmed by all the moving parts of a game.
    This is where coaching could make a difference. Thibs has shown he can mold players. If he can find a way to help Payne focus on improving some specific techniques especially on defense, there's a chance. Also, AP is probably figuring out his career is on the line here. He's going on his 4th coach and hasn't gotten traction yet, so maybe he will turn up the urgency.

Thread Information