Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 99 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stlouiswolf View Post
    This is where coaching could make a difference. Thibs has shown he can mold players. If he can find a way to help Payne focus on improving some specific techniques especially on defense, there's a chance. Also, AP is probably figuring out his career is on the line here. He's going on his 4th coach and hasn't gotten traction yet, so maybe he will turn up the urgency.
    I don't know. I think there are some issues that just aren't coachable.

Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    I don't know. I think there are some issues that just aren't coachable.
    IMO coaching is a smaller part than many acknowledge. Otherwise, why doesn't every SA reclamation project work out? Why have several of the Boston picks not hit despite an excellent coach? It's important for sure, but I don't think any coach is going to reclaim Payne.

Tim Bontemps ✔ @TimBontemps
    Sources: Joakim Noah is expected to reunite with Derrick Rose & return to NYC on a deal starting around $18 million.

Marc Stein ✔ @ESPNSteinLine
    Have heard the same lament from multiple interested teams tonight: They see New York as a big favorite to land Joakim Noah in free agency.

Sources: Joakim Noah is expected to reunite with Derrick Rose & return to NYC on a deal starting around $18 million.

Have heard the same lament from multiple interested teams tonight: They see New York as a big favorite to land Joakim Noah in free agency.
    Welp, at least we know what the floor is going to be for a lot of free agents this offseason. Not that it's surprising.

($18 mil is too high for my tastes regarding Noah...I hope the Knicks enjoy the 7th or 8th seed in the East next year)
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...

Alex Kennedy Verified account  ‏@AlexKennedyNBA · Jun 28

For those of you asking about Wayne Selden Jr. and SL, he's weighing options. He turned down draft-and-stash opportunities on draft night.

Would love this guy to come and play for MN at SL...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFChabQ8Ym0

Edit: https://twitter.com/LegionHoops/stat...81119893524481

He would be nice backup PG for Dunn, if we suddenly decide to move Ricky.
    Last edited by xreceved; 06-30-2016 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xreceved View Post

Wouldn't we need to acquire a veteran PG if we traded Ricky?

I hate to say it but Phil Jackson is systematically doing a great job in NY putting that team back together. If they get Noah I see playoffs for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    I hate to say it but Phil Jackson is systematically doing a great job in NY putting that team back together. If they get Noah I see playoffs for them.
    Let's see how many games Noah and Rose play first...

Quote Originally Posted by xreceved View Post

I think we need a backup SG and maybe a backup SG/SF plus a PF that can defend. I think were covered at the PG position. I like C. Lee, Aaron Afflalo, or even Troy Daniels if he's available. I liked him when he was here before.

Let's see how many games Noah and Rose play first...

Yep. There-in lies the rub. If they do play, they could be pretty good compared to how they have been.

I wonder if Phil is moving away from the Triangle, then? Melo is a great fit for the Triangle, but Rose is a terrible fit and Noah isn't a great fit either. I assume that there may have been a shift when he hired Hornacek, but I am wondering what that shift will be. Can Phil let go and let the offense run something other than his go-to? It will be interesting to see how that develops. I am also a bit interested to see how they address the defensive end of the court with Rose and Melo out there defending the two most heavily stacked positions in the league.

On a side note, I just refamiliarized myself with the Knicks' roster; what a train wreck. That roster is so reminiscent of the Jefferson/Love rosters we had in the past. Two good players and a bunch of D-League talent and "has beens". I may have to start watching the Knicks just to get a laugh when they put Vujacic, Afflalo, Williams, Amundson, and Seraphin on the court together.

Ricky Rubio trade bids will pour in for Timberwolves — after free agency rush
    By Sean Deveney

The plan in Minnesota is to make draftee Kris Dunn the starting point guard. The question is, with Ricky Rubio on board, when that will happen.

The Timberwolves were active in seeking a deal for Rubio before the NBA Draft, but around the league, the price was considered too high when deals were discussed last week. Thanks to a very thin point guard class, that could quickly change.

“Check back around July 10, July 15,” one NBA general manager told Sporting News. “Once teams are left holding the bag, he’s going to be a pretty big target. They will get better offers, better ones than they have been.”

There is only one reliable starting point guard on the free-agent market, Grizzlies guard Mike Conley. Many teams are still uncertain what to make of Rajon Rondo’s resurgence in Sacramento, where he averaged 11.9 points and a league-best 11.7 assists but could not help the team improve much. The rest of the list consists of role players, combo guards and aging or injury-prone veterans — think Jeremy Lin, Jordan Clarkson and Deron Williams.

While new Timberwolves president and coach Tom Thibodeau had offers for Rubio before the start of free agency, he staved them off, expecting his value to spike after the first wave of free agents signs on elsewhere. Under the franchise’s previous regime, led by Flip Saunders, Minnesota did much the same thing, hanging on to star forward Kevin Love and driving up his value as the summer of 2014 wore on, eventually getting Andrew Wiggins and Thaddues Young for Love in an August deal.

Minnesota also has not ruled out the possibility to hanging on to Rubio and letting him help ease in Dunn before trading him at some point next season. The Celtics did that with Rondo after drafting Marcus Smart in 2014, trading Rondo in December that year.

Depending on how free agency shakes out, league sources said there would be no shortage of teams interested in Rubio, including Philadelphia, Houston and the Bucks, who were unwilling to part with Khris Middleton to land Rubio four months ago. The Mavericks, with an interest in signing Mike Conley as a priority, would be a potential partner and a team for which Rubio might like to play.

Considering the dearth of available point guards, the Wolves have a valuable asset on their hands and intend to exercise patience.

“He won’t be on that team for long,” the GM said. “But the longer they hold onto him, the more teams they’ll have who would be willing to give up something for him.”

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news...medium=twitter

I can't see the 76'ers being excited about Rubio. Can you imagine that team with Rubio and the rest of the non shooters?
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

“Statistics are no substitute for judgment”
    Henry Clay

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf on the Prowl View Post
    I can't see the 76'ers being excited about Rubio. Can you imagine that team with Rubio and the rest of the non shooters?
    They wanted Dunn pretty badly.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Styles View Post
    I wonder if Phil is moving away from the Triangle, then? Melo is a great fit for the Triangle, but Rose is a terrible fit and Noah isn't a great fit either. I assume that there may have been a shift when he hired Hornacek, but I am wondering what that shift will be. Can Phil let go and let the offense run something other than his go-to? It will be interesting to see how that develops. I am also a bit interested to see how they address the defensive end of the court with Rose and Melo out there defending the two most heavily stacked positions in the league.
    I think Noah is better fit for the triangle than most bigs and Rose is workable as well.

Not sure the triangle is a good choice in general, but I am not seeing a huge fit issue here.

Quote Originally Posted by EA! View Post
    I think Noah is better fit for the triangle than most bigs and Rose is workable as well.
    I agree. An attacking guard and a great passing big are pretty vital. Thibs used a lot of it himself in Chicago.

Not sure the triangle is a good choice in general, but I am not seeing a huge fit issue here.
    Agree there too.

They did want Dunn but though he was not a great 3 point shooter he wasn't horrible either. It is the 76'ers and even though they have new management it's hard to tell what they are doing.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Henry Clay

The triangle itself is not dependent on positions it is more dependent on skills. Triangle with the Bulls the post up guys most of the time were the wings Jordan, Pippen, and Kukoc. With the Lakers the post was Shaq. With the Bulls the point guards were the shooters. With the Lakers the shooters were guy like Horry. It's not about what positions fit the system it's having guys that can do what is needed.

Henry Clay

Ricky Rubio trade bids will pour in for Timberwolves — after free agency rush
    By Sean Deveney

The plan in Minnesota is to make draftee Kris Dunn the starting point guard. The question is, with Ricky Rubio on board, when that will happen.

The Timberwolves were active in seeking a deal for Rubio before the NBA Draft, but around the league, the price was considered too high when deals were discussed last week. Thanks to a very thin point guard class, that could quickly change.

“Check back around July 10, July 15,” one NBA general manager told Sporting News. “Once teams are left holding the bag, he’s going to be a pretty big target. They will get better offers, better ones than they have been.”

There is only one reliable starting point guard on the free-agent market, Grizzlies guard Mike Conley. Many teams are still uncertain what to make of Rajon Rondo’s resurgence in Sacramento, where he averaged 11.9 points and a league-best 11.7 assists but could not help the team improve much. The rest of the list consists of role players, combo guards and aging or injury-prone veterans — think Jeremy Lin, Jordan Clarkson and Deron Williams.

While new Timberwolves president and coach Tom Thibodeau had offers for Rubio before the start of free agency, he staved them off, expecting his value to spike after the first wave of free agents signs on elsewhere. Under the franchise’s previous regime, led by Flip Saunders, Minnesota did much the same thing, hanging on to star forward Kevin Love and driving up his value as the summer of 2014 wore on, eventually getting Andrew Wiggins and Thaddues Young for Love in an August deal.

Minnesota also has not ruled out the possibility to hanging on to Rubio and letting him help ease in Dunn before trading him at some point next season. The Celtics did that with Rondo after drafting Marcus Smart in 2014, trading Rondo in December that year.

Depending on how free agency shakes out, league sources said there would be no shortage of teams interested in Rubio, including Philadelphia, Houston and the Bucks, who were unwilling to part with Khris Middleton to land Rubio four months ago. The Mavericks, with an interest in signing Mike Conley as a priority, would be a potential partner and a team for which Rubio might like to play.

Considering the dearth of available point guards, the Wolves have a valuable asset on their hands and intend to exercise patience.

“He won’t be on that team for long,” the GM said. “But the longer they hold onto him, the more teams they’ll have who would be willing to give up something for him.”

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news...medium=twitter
    I am not exited to trade Ricky, but this is a smart timing choice.

Wait until Conley makes his choice and all of a sudden Rubio will arguably be the best Point Guard available (depending on what feels about Rondo).

I know I may be in the minority, but if we trade Ricky, is signing Rondo to a lucrative short term deal a good play?

Say we get some more cap space when we trade Ricky and add Rondo and Deng using all the cap space.

Before we even count the return of the Rubio trade, we have:

Rondo, Dunn, Tyus
    LaVine, Dunn, Wiggins
    Wiggins, Deng, Bazz
    Deng, Dieng, Bjelica
    Towns, Dieng, KG/Pek?

The main rotation guys would be Rondo, Dunn, LaVine, Wiggins, Deng, Dieng, Towns and Bjelica

Maybe take advantage of the anti-Hinkies in Philly and get both (or at least two of the three) of their later firsts from this year: Luwawu and Korkmaz, and Covington and maybe the minimally protected Lakers pick next year (or better: the better of the Lakers and Sixers pick next year).

I'd only consider Rondo on something like a 1+1 deal, and it sounds like the Nets may offer him a whole lot more.

Thread Information