Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 58 of 64 FirstFirst ... 84855565758596061 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1263
    Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    Ideally we could send back Cole. They might have interest as he fills a need for them and is on a more reasonable deal.
    It's still a pretty hefty price. We can get out of Cole's contract after next season (only $2mil guaranteed in 2018-19). We'd be on the hook for 3 more years of Meyers (at a total cost of $30mil), and get only two years of Aminu.

Hoopshype:

Aminu clearly hasn't been right this year, but I would love to "buy low" on him right now. I'd take another contract back to get him.
    I would love to get Aminu but only on your "buy low" scenario. I'm really concerned how his game could go so far south this year. He has been horrible. Maybe a change of scene can turn him into what he was last year, one hell of a player.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    I would love to get Aminu but only on your "buy low" scenario. I'm really concerned how his game could go so far south this year. He has been horrible. Maybe a change of scene can turn him into what he was last year, one hell of a player.
    I'm not concerned. He got hurt early, missed a bunch of games and is only starting to look right again. He started getting better in January, and he's been killing it this month:

5 games: 14.6 PPG (43/4787) and 9.2 rebounds. His last 3 games were 12/11, 26/5 and 14/15

ESPN analysts talking trade prospects for some eastern conference teams and are suggesting the Sixers take any first rounder for Okafor. Hard to believe that Flip was at one point favoring him for our #1 pick.

I know that Okafor wouldn't fit here at all given our logjam at the 5, but if any first for Oak is the realistic rate it really makes that Payne trade even worse. At least Oak still has some upside as a bench scorer type in the Al Jefferson role. Several here pointed out that limiting future trade flexibility was going to be an issue and it was exaggerated by the thought that Payne was a really poor prospect at the time given his age and poor performance.

Quote Originally Posted by dschroeder01 View Post
    ESPN analysts talking trade prospects for some eastern conference teams and are suggesting the Sixers take any first rounder for Okafor. Hard to believe that Flip was at one point favoring him for our #1 pick.

I know that Okafor wouldn't fit here at all given our logjam at the 5, but if any first for Oak is the realistic rate it really makes that Payne trade even worse. At least Oak still has some upside as a bench scorer type in the Al Jefferson role. Several here pointed out that limiting future trade flexibility was going to be an issue and it was exaggerated by the thought that Payne was a really poor prospect at the time given his age and poor performance.
    It's just amazing how often teams completely whiff with top 2 or 3 picks.

Pretty much every team in the league would have taken him (like Derrick Williams?) in the top 3. And it seemed like within a month or two everyone realized Okafor wasn't any good.

Thank God Flip changed his mind.

Sometimes big men take a while to come around, so maybe he will too. But that's a huge bust. Very surprising.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...ng-To-Deadline

Any interest in Lou Williams or Nick Young?

Quote Originally Posted by ECA19 View Post
    It's just amazing how often teams completely whiff with top 2 or 3 picks.

Pretty much every team in the league would have taken him (like Derrick Williams?) in the top 3. And it seemed like within a month or two everyone realized Okafor wasn't any good.

Thank God Flip changed his mind.

Sometimes big men take a while to come around, so maybe he will too. But that's a huge bust. Very surprising.
    What about Kris Dunn?

Quote Originally Posted by Z0r View Post
    http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...ng-To-Deadline

Any interest in Lou Williams or Nick Young?
    Nope. More offense isn't what we need.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    What about Kris Dunn?
    PGs frequently take 3 years or more to really establish themselves at the NBA level, even guys who enter the league with more experience. I know everyone is tired of hearing "they're young, we need to be patient" but that doesn't make it any less true.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_33 View Post
    PGs frequently take 3 years or more to really establish themselves at the NBA level, even guys who enter the league with more experience. I know everyone is tired of hearing "they're young, we need to be patient" but that doesn't make it any less true.
    which is exactly why we do NOT need another high draft pick on the roster next year.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsxman View Post
    which is exactly why we do NOT need another high draft pick on the roster next year.
    This is an incredibly simplistic way to view roster building. We can add another top-half-of-the-lottery type pick AND continue to build our roster through free agency & trades. The two are not mutually exclusive. We can also develop young players while having established vets on the roster. Again, the two are not mutually exclusive. Over the last few years, the Spurs developed Kawhi Leonard while maintaining their older core of Duncan, Parker and Ginobili and bringing on big-name established vets like LaMarcus.

Because PGs take longer to develop?

I know many of you (if not all of you) are disappointed with how this year has gone. I'm going to pull out some optimism to start the weekend. In '14-15 the +/- per game was -8.8. Last year it was -3.5. Right now we're at -.9. Could we easily have a better record with all of the close losses? Of course! But winning close games on a consistent basis is a sign that a team is playoff worthy/contenders. We are not there yet, but we are getting closer. Many of us wanted this to be the year we make a big jump and make the playoffs as an 8 seed. Whether we make the 8 seed or not, next year will be the true "jump" in my opinion. We will have our nucleus more seasoned, we will have money for a vet or 2 in FA, and we will have another top 10 pick. We are in a good spot-be patient people!

Quote Originally Posted by cmoss84 View Post
    I know many of you (if not all of you) are disappointed with how this year has gone. I'm going to pull out some optimism to start the weekend. In '14-15 the +/- per game was -8.8. Last year it was -3.5. Right now we're at -.9. Could we easily have a better record with all of the close losses? Of course! But winning close games on a consistent basis is a sign that a team is playoff worthy/contenders. We are not there yet, but we are getting closer. Many of us wanted this to be the year we make a big jump and make the playoffs as an 8 seed. Whether we make the 8 seed or not, next year will be the true "jump" in my opinion. We will have our nucleus more seasoned, we will have money for a vet or 2 in FA, and we will have another top 10 pick. We are in a good spot-be patient people!
    +1

This is almost to a tee my take on the team as well.

Marc Stein ✔ @ESPNSteinLine
    The Pistons and Magic have discussed a trade that would send Reggie Jackson to Orlando for D.J. Augustin and Jeff Green, league sources say.
    11:45 AM - 17 Feb 2017

I think this pretty much confirms that Detroit called us about a Ricky for Reggie swap - and that we shot them down.

I don't even like Jackson, but this would be a horrible deal for Detroit from a talent standpoint. They must really want to dump his contract.
    Last edited by LEvine; 02-17-2017 at 05:13 PM.

I don't even like Jackson, but this would be a horrible deal for Detroit from a talent standpoint. They must really want to dump his contract.
    That was my thought at first too. But they were better without R-Jax, and they spent a crapton of money this past offseason. If they can improve by subtracing Reggie and save a ton of money in the process, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by da_blueprint View Post
    This is an incredibly simplistic way to view roster building. We can add another top-half-of-the-lottery type pick AND continue to build our roster through free agency & trades. The two are not mutually exclusive. We can also develop young players while having established vets on the roster. Again, the two are not mutually exclusive. Over the last few years, the Spurs developed Kawhi Leonard while maintaining their older core of Duncan, Parker and Ginobili and bringing on big-name established vets like LaMarcus.
    Are you really comparing the Timberwolves to the Spurs? All the Spurs ever need to do is plug holes. The Spurs have hit a point where with their system everyone knows their part and "most" everyone is replaceable if they dont "do their job". The Spurs have the luxury of nurturing young talent with the likes of players who have won MANY titles. Are you really expecting Andrew Wiggins to show our #1 draft pick the finer points of team D?

While I dont disagree with you in theory, I personally think that we have enough "youth" on this team..especially if we keep Dunn and Tyus around. At some point we need to bring in people who actually know how to play basketball and not wait for the young players to pick it up. I've disagreed with Thibs approach this year (everyone sinking or swiming together) and really dont want to see another year of it. I'd be more apt to agree with your take if the players we were counting on to teach our rookie had more of a pedigree than "could be really good some day". Unless the player we get at (insert draft position) is somehow a guy we absolutely cant pass on....I'd prefer we try to move the pick for an established, proven, 2 way player.

Unless it's a super star at a position of need. We don't need another center and we don't need another point guard. Pretty much everything else would help us. We could use a lot of help at 3 or 4.

I would not be opposed to bumping down and making a trade with Portland to get their two firsts to fill gaps depending on where things shake out after the lottery.

(and regarding adding more youth, I get the argument to trade for a player but I'm not sure the market for established players is going to be sufficient to warrant cashing out on a pick just to get him...unless it's a package deal where we get a Paul George/Jimmy Butler type)
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...

Quote Originally Posted by The Country Club View Post
    I would not be opposed to bumping down and making a trade with Portland to get their two firsts to fill gaps depending on where things shake out after the lottery.

(and regarding adding more youth, I get the argument to trade for a player but I'm not sure the market for established players is going to be sufficient to warrant cashing out on a pick just to get him...unless it's a package deal where we get a Paul George/Jimmy Butler type)
    I'm maybe changing my mind on the pick ....but its dependent on what we do in free agency. What I DONT want is for Thibs to take the same approach next year as he did this year: throw everyone into the pool and say "swim". I think this approach has hurt us. If we get a quality veteran 4, and "if" there is enough growth from Wiggz/Towns by the end of the year on defense, then we can take a player who will take some time to get up to speed but will help us keep our payroll at a manageable level (i.e. rookie salary scale). I dont want to see us get vets (aka Rush, Hill) and then set them on the bench while we watch young players try to figure out the game of basketball. In other words...the player we pick I dont want to see the floor except with the 2nd unit.

Thread Information