Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wolves record Prediction Thread-

Bob Oppenheimer reminded me we need to have a prediction thread.

So while this is not Canis Hoopus let's start with a prediction in honor of the late Tim Allen: 82-0.

In all honesty I think it will be a 45 win season.
    R-E-S-P-E-C-T find out what it means to me!

Hoping for generally good health and thinking about 43-39. Much improved defense will earn us a playoff spot.

We're going to the playoffs on strong defense and balanced scoring. We have depth with the second unit too so I see us at 47-35. I don't think 50 is out of the question. Of course staying healthy is everything.

My only worry is defensive rebounds by giving up too many second chance points. If we can win games with a lead going into the 4th qtr we'll be on our way.

I would be very disappointed at 40 wins or fewer. We should be way better than that.

I'm always wrong at these things, and obviously a lot depends on injuries. But I'll go with 42-40 (winning the last game of the year to have a winning record) which would be a big jump. Hoping for better though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparlimb View Post
    I'm always wrong at these things, and obviously a lot depends on injuries. But I'll go with 42-40 (winning the last game of the year to have a winning record) which would be a big jump. Hoping for better though.
    I'm going to say 45 and I feel that is a low end number. I know we are young, but the league has turned so top heavy that outside of GS and Cle, I think we will play with every team on any given night and we'll just be better coached and more talented then most teams. The Clippers and Spurs are the other two teams that I look at and say they are clearly better then us presently but after that, I would put us in the mix with 10-12 other teams league wide.

I'll guess 44.

50-46 wins this season. I don't see many teams that can handle both the talents of Towns and then the guys on the outside. If we defend and rebound at average to slightly above average levels we will be close to 50 wins. I just don't see this team ever struggling to score points so it comes down to defense and that should be improved.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

“Statistics are no substitute for judgment”
    Henry Clay

40-42

EDIT: This edit is for changing a comment, NOT for changing my prediction.

11 win increase on last year is still a huge jump and a massive accomplishment for a team that is starting three (!!!!) 21 year olds. I wouldn't be surprised to see this as enough to squeak into the playoffs. But it's still really friggin hard to ride this much youth into major success, especially on D. The future is so damn bright though.
    Last edited by da_blueprint; 10-26-2016 at 03:06 PM.

41-41

For fun here's the prediction thread from last year:
    http://www.mnsportsfans.com/forum/sh...ght=prediction

With the final answers being:
    1. 29
    2. 18.3, 10.5, 1.7
    3. 20.7

Barring no big injuries 50-32.
    Publicity, fame and accolades can make a theory popular. They can't make it true.

43-39 I'd like to say more because I think we've got the talent for more but the first year in the new system makes me bump it down a couple of games.
    You play to win the game... HELLO?! You PLAY to WIN the GAME!

46 wins. I think they will be much improved. But its all dependent on Rubio being healthy and not traded. It also will depend on their maturation process and how quickly they learn the little things that win games that just take time to learn. (i.e. can Thibs help accelerate this).

Quote Originally Posted by da_blueprint View Post
    40-42

EDIT: This edit is for changing a comment, NOT for changing my prediction.

11 win increase on last year is still a huge jump and a massive accomplishment for a team that is starting three (!!!!) 21 year olds. I wouldn't be surprised to see this as enough to squeak into the playoffs. But it's still really friggin hard to ride this much youth into major success, especially on D. The future is so damn bright though.
    Remember dablueprint that our 21 year olds (Lavine,Wiggins)have 175 nba games or more under their belt far more that any typical 21 year old player. That said, we lost last night because their veteran players came through and we made critical mistakes down the stretch. We snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    Remember dablueprint that our 21 year olds (Lavine,Wiggins)have 175 nba games or more under their belt far more that any typical 21 year old player
    An excellent point, to be sure, Nick. Playing time is not necessarily the cure-all for young players, though. If a young player keeps making the same mistake, allowing him to just repeat that endlessly is not going to prevent him from repeating that mistake going forward. So it also takes the right coaching, which our young guys haven't necessarily had so far. Lastly, the age remark is also meant to be a comment about our young guys physically growing too. There's no way you can expect a 21 year old KAT, even as big and naturally gifted as he is physically, to keep guys like Marc Gasol and Z-Bo off the block and out of the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by da_blueprint View Post
    An excellent point, to be sure, Nick. Playing time is not necessarily the cure-all for young players, though. If a young player keeps making the same mistake, allowing him to just repeat that endlessly is not going to prevent him from repeating that mistake going forward. So it also takes the right coaching, which our young guys haven't necessarily had so far. Lastly, the age remark is also meant to be a comment about our young guys physically growing too. There's no way you can expect a 21 year old KAT, even as big and naturally gifted as he is physically, to keep guys like Marc Gasol and Z-Bo off the block and out of the paint.
    Yep, no doubt. Gasol, Z-bo and Green gave us fits. Especially the play late in the 4th where Memphis was at the line, made the first, missed the second and Green got the off reb put back. No box out by the Wolves which was mostly Gorgui on that one. That just can't happen. I still think we need a tough rebounding, rim protecting PF. Gorgui is weak there. He had good numbers last night but sometimes they are misleading.

Levine was right when he suggested that Thibs defensive system will take a little time to soak in until second nature. Warts and all, we still look pretty damn good out there.

Warts and all, we still look pretty damn good out there.
    100% agree!

I predict 45 wins still.
    “We want to make plays to win basketball games, not to answer any questions or respond to what people have to say about us,” James

I'll predict 49. I guess I'm optimistic, which is an anomaly for Minnesotans, but I'm not a native....

Remember dablueprint that our 21 year olds (Lavine,Wiggins)have 175 nba games or more under their belt far more that any typical 21 year old player. That said, we lost last night because their veteran players came through and we made critical mistakes down the stretch. We snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
    Absolute agreement with your post particularly the bolded.

51-31

I was going to go with 52 but subtract the Grizzlies game that I thought we would win.

51-31

Thread Information