Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pekovic close to retirement!

CREDIT: AP PHOTO/SUE OGROCKI, FILE
    Timberwolves injured big man Nikola Pekovic is considering retirement due to mental exhaustion and pain.

“For two years I have struggled with this injury,” Pekovic said at a press conference in Serbia, according to Sportando. “I have been mentally exhausted. This year I went to Minneapolis for two months and I did everything possible to return to the court, but there are times when you simply can’t. I can’t run without pain.”

Pekovic played in just 12 games last season before the pain from ankle and achilles injuries derailed his season, and he’s already been ruled out for the rest of this season.

According to Hoops Rumors, Pekovic is getting paid more than $12 million this season and he’s due to make more than $11 million next season. He’s guaranteed to make the money, but the Wolves could get salary cap relief if Pekovic is ruled medically unable to play.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

“Statistics are no substitute for judgment”
    Henry Clay

I posted something about this but it didn't make it up. I must have exited the page before it went through.

We aren't likely to exercise his salary cap relief exception since we are $12MM under the cap and $3MM under the floor. But if we can trade him and the other team can then get the cap relief then he would be a potentially nice trading chip. 4 teams (Clev, Port, Clippers & Detroit) look to be over the lux tax line this year, and Milwaukee could be over it next year.

The Bucks are supposed to be looking to trade Monroe and maybe Pek's contract could help make that happen.

**EDIT: I should have made it clear, I'm asking whether the other team can still get that exception. I couldn't find the answer on Coon's site.

From Coon's FAQ:

There is one exception whereby a player can continue to receive his salary, but the salary is excluded from team salary. This is when a player suffers a career-ending injury or illness. The team must waive the player, and can apply for this salary exclusion following a waiting period. Only the player's team at the time the injury or illness was discovered (or reasonably should have been discovered) can apply for this salary exclusion.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q63

Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    From Coon's FAQ:

There is one exception whereby a player can continue to receive his salary, but the salary is excluded from team salary. This is when a player suffers a career-ending injury or illness. The team must waive the player, and can apply for this salary exclusion following a waiting period. Only the player's team at the time the injury or illness was discovered (or reasonably should have been discovered) can apply for this salary exclusion.

Isn't that sometimes called the Terrell Brandon rule?
    R-E-S-P-E-C-T find out what it means to me!

From Coon's FAQ:

I think we've gone over this on the site quite a bit, but as I remember the soonest the Wolves could apply is 1 year after his last appearance which would be early February I think. Would give them some impressive cap space assuming Muhammed, Hill, Rush and others do not return. The question is who can they use it on.

Quote Originally Posted by ECA19 View Post
    I posted something about this but it didn't make it up. I must have exited the page before it went through.

We aren't likely to exercise his salary cap relief exception since we are $12MM under the cap and $3MM under the floor. But if we can trade him and the other team can then get the cap relief then he would be a potentially nice trading chip. 4 teams (Clev, Port, Clippers & Detroit) look to be over the lux tax line this year, and Milwaukee could be over it next year.

The Bucks are supposed to be looking to trade Monroe and maybe Pek's contract could help make that happen.

**EDIT: I should have made it clear, I'm asking whether the other team can still get that exception. I couldn't find the answer on Coon's site.
    It's not possible or necessary. We have cap space so we could just absorb the salary taking it off the other team's books. If we need more than the 12M we just take Pek's retirement (if possible) and then use the additional cap space for trade.

Quote Originally Posted by stlouiswolf View Post
    I think we've gone over this on the site quite a bit, but as I remember the soonest the Wolves could apply is 1 year after his last appearance which would be early February I think. Would give them some impressive cap space assuming Muhammed, Hill, Rush and others do not return. The question is who can they use it on.
    Serge Ibaka? He's bounced back statistically this year and would fill a lot of holes with defense and perimeter shooting at the 4 spot. He's not going to be cheap

From Coon's FAQ:

Thanks. I kind of knew that was the case but since I was unable to find it I had a sliver of hope. Too bad though, since it could make for a pretty nice trade chip.

Oh well, maybe next year we will have a need for the cap space so we can max out a couple superstars! Chris Paul and Blake Griffin here we come!!

Oh well, maybe next year we will have a need for the cap space so we can max out a couple superstars! Chris Paul and Blake Griffin here we come!!
    I'd really hate to have to root for Chris Paul. But I suppose I could get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsxman View Post
    I'd really hate to have to root for Chris Paul. But I suppose I could get used to it.
    With our injury history, Chris Paul's brother could really help Glen out.

I'd still rather target John Wall, I feel like it's the only realistic scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Z0r View Post
    I'd still rather target John Wall, I feel like it's the only realistic scenario.
    He's hurt too often. I have been burned by him a couple times now in fantasy basketball. Never again...

Quote Originally Posted by kingsxman View Post
    He's hurt too often. I have been burned by him a couple times now in fantasy basketball. Never again...
    I think you are over-blowing his injury history. He had several stretches of DNPs in his rookie season, but I did not follow him then so I am not sure if they were due to injury or not. He followed that up in his sophomore year by playing in every single game that season. His third year was his one and only significant injury with 33 missed games (I didn't verify every stretch in his rookie season, but it seemed like he didn't miss more than 4 straight games). He followed that up by playing in all 82 of his games the following season. Then he missed 3 games, 5 games and so far this year he has sat out 2 back-to-back games on the road (which more teams are doing these days). Over the last 4 seasons he has missed a total of 8 games. Chris Paul has played 1 total 82 game season in his career, and from the year he was 23 to 26, he played 78, 45, 80 and 60 games. Would you say Chris Paul is injured too often to make a deal for? Over the last 4 years, Damian Lillard has missed 7 games. Is he injured too often? Lowry has missed 30 over the last 4 years. Kemba Walker has missed 32. Jeff Teague has missed 15. Btw, over the last 4, Paul has missed 18 games. Who is "durable enough" for you?

Overall, I think the "injury scare" is a bit severe here on these boards. I get that we have had bad history with health and we shouldn't be getting risky prospects ignoring the warning signs that are there. But, players get injured and it doesn't mean it is something that will happen again. Paul George lost an entire season, but I don't think people are expecting him to repeat that injury any time soon. Most injuries are caused by circumstance. If we were talking about Beal (who is on my fantasy team, btw) it would be different as he has several medical conditions that predispose him to possible injury. Maybe that is the case with Wall, too, and I am not aware of it (if so, let me know and maybe I will change my view), but "missing time" is not an indication of "future injury". Beyond him costing you some fantasy matchups in the past, what makes you think he is going to be unreliable in the future?

You may be right TJ, but as you can probably atest to, if a player burns you on your fantasy team....especially twice, you tend to remember him. Our league is a bit different in how we run it so injuries tend to stand out more.

For the record here's his games played:
    2010/11: 69
    2011/12: 66
    2012/13: 49
    2013/14: 82
    2014/15: 79
    2015/16: 77
    2016/17: 30

Albert Nahmad: Wolves can apply to have Nikola Pekovic’s cap hits — $12.1M for 2016-17, $11.6M for 2017-18 – excluded from team salary staring today. Pekovic salary exclusion would be granted if jointly-selected doctor rules injury career-ending or constitutes medically unacceptable risk. If the exclusion is granted, Wolves’ 16-17 cap room increases to $24.8M, 17-18 max projected cap room increases to $37.1M (at $103M cap). Wolves are currently $3.3M below salary floor. Pekovic’s salary will count toward the salary floor whether the exclusion is granted or not. If Pekovic doesn’t play again, Wolves can be reimbursed $8.7M of his $12.1M salary for 2016-17 and $9.3M of his $11.6M salary for 2017-18

Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    Albert Nahmad: Wolves can apply to have Nikola Pekovic’s cap hits — $12.1M for 2016-17, $11.6M for 2017-18 – excluded from team salary staring today. Pekovic salary exclusion would be granted if jointly-selected doctor rules injury career-ending or constitutes medically unacceptable risk. If the exclusion is granted, Wolves’ 16-17 cap room increases to $24.8M, 17-18 max projected cap room increases to $37.1M (at $103M cap). Wolves are currently $3.3M below salary floor. Pekovic’s salary will count toward the salary floor whether the exclusion is granted or not. If Pekovic doesn’t play again, Wolves can be reimbursed $8.7M of his $12.1M salary for 2016-17 and $9.3M of his $11.6M salary for 2017-18
    It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, they do with this. We obviously don't need the cap space right now. But we have some max extensions in our not-to-distant future. But he'll be off the books completely after next year, so my guess is we don't do anything.

It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, they do with this. We obviously don't need the cap space right now. But we have some max extensions in our not-to-distant future. But he'll be off the books completely after next year, so my guess is we don't do anything.
    If Pek's salary is going to count towards the salary floor this year, I can't think of any reason not to apply for the medical retirement. this year. Pek gets his money from the Wolves either way. The Wolves get their insurance money on the contract either way (as long as Pek isn't playing). Having the extra cap space can only help as it works well for trades as we don't need to match salaries. We should apply for the exception so that we know whether we're going to get it or not, the sooner the better.

Pek's contract is worth nothing in trade as other team's can't apply for the retirement (since the injury happened while with the Wolves) and I'm guessing the insurance doesn't transfer either so the team would need to pay it all themselves. The cap space works close to the same in a trade anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dschroeder01 View Post
    If Pek's salary is going to count towards the salary floor this year, I can't think of any reason not to apply for the medical retirement. this year. Pek gets his money from the Wolves either way. The Wolves get their insurance money on the contract either way (as long as Pek isn't playing). Having the extra cap space can only help as it works well for trades as we don't need to match salaries. We should apply for the exception so that we know whether we're going to get it or not, the sooner the better.

Pek's contract is worth nothing in trade as other team's can't apply for the retirement (since the injury happened while with the Wolves) and I'm guessing the insurance doesn't transfer either so the team would need to pay it all themselves. The cap space works close to the same in a trade anyway.
    The only reason I can think of is that if we do that and he were to later make a comeback then the money we saved against the cap would be reinstated. So it could possibly come back to haunt us in the future since that retroactive cap hit would apply at that time.

I'm not sure whether a "comeback" to some team in Europe would trigger that or not, but it wouldn't be the most shocking thing in the world to see him make a limited comeback back home. Especially if it could somehow screw the Wolves. I don't mean Pek would intentionally screw the Wolves. It' s just that it seems like that would be just our luck?

If we had some trade opportunity now, where we needed that extra cap space, then I guess we could try it. But that seems really unlikely so to do it for no reason probably doesn't make any sense.

Doogie was the guest on the Raised by Wolves podcast and said that Pek will get a medical retirement and won't be on the cap for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by dschroeder01 View Post
    Doogie was the guest on the Raised by Wolves podcast and said that Pek will get a medical retirement and won't be on the cap for next year.
    Obligatory sad violin music for Pek, I really do feel for the big fella and I liked him a lot as a Wolves player. That said...

HECK YEAH!!! Fantastic news!!! So we're gonna have close to $40 mil in cap space, I believe, and could boost that another $4 mil or so if we decide not to make a QO on Bazz. We'll certainly have the money and flexibility to make a splash in free agency and/or a trade where we just take a player into cap space.

Thread Information