Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New coach?

I hope your right Levine I have no issue with Fleck's coaching ability. At this point as a young coach he has done some great things. I do not care for the Brewster like yapping at this point because he has done nothing at the Big Ten level. I hope he succeeds and can lift the Gophers to new heights I just think we should be more patient with the accolades and praise.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

“Statistics are no substitute for judgment”
    Henry Clay

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf on the Prowl View Post
    I hope your right Levine I have no issue with Fleck's coaching ability. At this point as a young coach he has done some great things. I do not care for the Brewster like yapping at this point because he has done nothing at the Big Ten level. I hope he succeeds and can lift the Gophers to new heights I just think we should be more patient with the accolades and praise.
    The Brewster comparison doesn't fly for me because Brew had never been a head coach when we hired him (I don't count 2 years as a HS coach). He was a recruiter, but he flat out couldn't coach.

I don't mind the talk, as he appears to be able to back it up recruiting.

Let's remember Tracy Claeys even before he was fired was in hot water due to poor recruiting. Flecks additions currently rank 5th and lower in this class. We will see what he can do in the last few weeks but he will need to bring in some higher ranked players even on short notice to get the great recruiter nod from me. If he flips a couple of these guys from Penn State or Missouri well that would be something to get excited about.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Henry Clay

In 1 day, Rivals jumped us almost 20 spots.

That's a nice start.

I disagree if he isn't here to take the team to the next level we hired the wrong guy. Kill IMO didn't even get us to the Mason level. We had leveled off and though I think Claeys did a good job with Saint Kills recruits we were not a great team we just hit the schedule at the right time. It's time to take a big step not just winning 8-9 games it's beating good opponents and not struggling against the average. I am not sure Fleck will be around long enough for that. WMU like Northern Illinois is not an indicator on how a coach can perform in the Big Ten.
    Kill probably would have had this season's bunch winning 10-11 games (including bowl) this year. He's a much better coach than Claeys. And Mason only got one ten year season (and two other 8 win seasons) in his time here. We were pretty much back at Mason level and Kill probably would have had the Gophs, had he not resigned, a notch or two above that.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kill's coaching a FBS program again in a year or two - probably a mid major or something like that but I think he'll probably get another crack at it despite his health.
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...

I have to disagree Tom. Kill wouldn't have changed offensive coordinators and the offense would have continued to decline. Claeys for his lack of outward energy was a pretty solid Football Coach who used what he had pretty well. He has some issues with time management like at the end of the Michigan game but he put together a defense like one we have not seen at the U for decades. Let's also remember he won his bowl games Kill never has. Claeys had his issues as a first time head coach he got a year and a half and he did a good job. Far from great but he had to make some tough choices, deal with injury and suspensions, juggle a staff, and had no experienced QB to play other than one that was not good. I would take Claeys the coach over Saint Kill any day of the week.

Henry Clay

Man, I caught a piece of Fleck's appearance on KFAN this morning. This guy strikes me as someone who has to be exhausting to be around. Among the gems that just make you want to shout "SHUT UP!"

On being the youngest Power 5 coach - he's young, but he's probably failed more than anyone else. Failure is any time things don't go the way you want. And lots of things haven't gone his way. He's the best at failing.

On the six-year anniversary of his son's death - it was the greatest day of my life (not paraphrasing this!!!!!). It was so great because it gave him drive and affected so many people down the road.

I hope he succeeds wildly with this team. But I have the sense that I couldn't spend more than 10 minutes with him without wanting to stick ice picks into my eardrums just for the sweet relief of not having to listen to him anymore.

I hope his players and the recruits love the BS. If that is what brings them in so be it we need to recruit better. I have no doubt he is a better coach than both Brewster and Kill he should be a better recruiter than Claeys. The question for me is how quickly he can win this next seasons schedule is weak he really needs another 8-9 win season to continue to build on momentum. It won't be easy with the new systems and player turnover. Hopefully the team can keep Winfield Jr around to lead the secondary. Finding an effective QB while developing the WR corp is big. Gophers should be solid at RB and TE but the offensive line is filled with questions. Defense doesn't have as many questions but on the returning players mesh with the new coaching staff will be interesting.

Henry Clay

One year in, 5-7. 1-3 in one score games.

Next year needs to be 7-5 or better for him to show legitimacy. Doable but he needs a better season in '18.

People seem to forget that this program lost a lot last year. Listening to people in the media and moronic fans who can’t see the issues this roster has are kidding themselves. This roster was thin on overall talent especially in the secondary and at DE on defense and then at line and at WR plus they had 2 inexperienced QBs. In typical gopher fashion the top DB gets hurt, #1 and #2 CBs missed time as did the #3. The top two lineman on offense missed major time. Two starting WRs in games 1 and 2 have missed several weeks both have been out the past two weeks. Brooks maybe the second best player on offense has missed a couple weeks.

It’s year one with this many injuries to win 5 games is fine. If Winfield and a couple lineman would have been healthy we win 2 more games early in the year.

Henry Clay

People seem to forget that this program lost a lot last year. Listening to people in the media and moronic fans who can’t see the issues this roster has are kidding themselves. This roster was thin on overall talent especially in the secondary and at DE on defense and then at line and at WR plus they had 2 inexperienced QBs. In typical gopher fashion the top DB gets hurt, #1 and #2 CBs missed time as did the #3. The top two lineman on offense missed major time. Two starting WRs in games 1 and 2 have missed several weeks both have been out the past two weeks. Brooks maybe the second best player on offense has missed a couple weeks.

It’s year one with this many injuries to win 5 games is fine. If Winfield and a couple lineman would have been healthy we win 2 more games early in the year.
    I didn't think the team would be good this year but we lost two winnable games (at home to Maryland, at Iowa). The last two games were a trainwreck on offense once the flavor of the week QB got figured out.

I kinda expected a bit better from the finish with Fleck's group but didn't think we'd be that good to begin with.

Anyways, we're one year closer to the pendulum swing back to the football guy with no cliches.

Got to remember the team that played the last two weeks was missing everything. You don’t win games against top 25 teams with great run defenses playing with true freshmen WRs and backup Linemen.

Henry Clay

Got to remember the team that played the last two weeks was missing everything. You don’t win games against top 25 teams with great run defenses playing with true freshmen WRs and backup Linemen.
    Or QB's that make you miss Mitch Leidner...

I didn’t miss Mitch Leidner at all. I missed Murray, Boddy Calhoun, Gjere, and other guys but Leidner no.

Henry Clay

I didn’t miss Mitch Leidner at all. I missed Murray, Boddy Calhoun, Gjere, and other guys but Leidner no.
    Leidner is one of the worst QBs I can remember watching.

That said, he's better than what we've trotted out there this year. Croft can't pass or run. Good riddance.

Leidner never played behind a line this bad either. They maybe were not great but they could run block. Not saying Croft was good or great just hard to judge a QB when the players that are around him that he relies on are hurt or are terrible.

Henry Clay

I think it goes to show that Claeys left a pretty barren team, talent-wise. He was a decent on-field coach, but the recruiting was going to be a trainwreck. It'll take a couple of years for Fleck to overhaul the roster.

I can't stand the guy, but I'm content to give him time.

Thread Information