Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 106
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    C-Unit HQ
    Posts
    813
    If he works out, I think this is the move that lets Tom get rid of Ricky:

    Stephenson peaked in Indiana playing next to George Hill, a point guard who doesn’t fit the bill as a ball-dominant point guard. Stephenson was allowed to be the primary ball-handler and creator for the Pacers’ offense.
    Stephenson has since struggled playing next to ball-dominant point guards Kemba Walker and Chris Paul in offenses that are starved for spacing for him to work when he does receive the ball.

    He’s not as good as Walker or Paul, which made it difficult and near-impossible to fit him into the offense in a way that was beneficial for both Stephenson and the team.

    Giving the ball to Stephenson takes the ball out of better players and offense-creators, but playing him off-the-ball makes him almost useless offensively.

    For Stephenson to be at his best, he needs to run the offense. In an NBA that has a surplus of high-quality point guards and wings capable of running offenses, Stephenson’s fits are limited.

    The 25-year old combo guard is probably best-suited as a sixth or seventh man and lead ball-handler for a second unit.
    http://hoopshabit.com/2016/08/10/lan...eams-sign-him/

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,945
    Quote Originally Posted by RAHchills View Post
    If he works out, I think this is the move that lets Tom get rid of Ricky:

    http://hoopshabit.com/2016/08/10/lan...eams-sign-him/
    I hadn't viewed Lance as someone you would run your offense through. It sounds like he has an odd skill set that Thibs might need to be creative with to get the most out of. But signing a guy on a 10-day hardly means the end of Ricky. It does sound like he may give a boost to the second unit and a Dunn-Stephenson backcourt could be intriguing in that it might let KD play off the ball more.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Vigo, Spain
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by RAHchills View Post
    If he works out, I think this is the move that lets Tom get rid of Ricky:



    http://hoopshabit.com/2016/08/10/lan...eams-sign-him/

    Right now Ricky is the only capable player to initiate any kind of offense. Lance could help toning down AW's ISO which are too much for him right now, those seem almost bearable because he's damn efficient in other setups. With Lance in there the other team will never know what to expect as just floating Ricky won't work, they can always swap offense through Lance instead of picking the glove. You cheat Rubio, OK, we go to Lance and Rubio will take the shot but on his terms, receiving at a spot he likes without any other read on his mind. Then, it won't be so funny.

    Kemba or Paul make the play every single time. The Wolves are not there- and Rubio could welcome to take a breathing in offense here and there as his duties are all over the place- and they could live with Lance being the de facto point for the second unit and a second choice when playing with the starters to get better looks for AW or KAT.

    I do think that Rubio, Bjeli and even Dunn- who is American and probably grew thinking the bad shot is the one you don't take- would reap the benefits of other players who treat the rock well and for a long time. Rush knows what to do but he hasn't the handle or driving ability and Bjeli is also limited in that regard. Lance should help Bazz, Rush, Bjeli and Tyus to get more open shots (he also likes to feed people at the post which is a confidence booster) and also those other questionable shooters to get good looks. Rubio and Dunn can shoot but they have to get rushed or meh shots too often; sometimes those are a make for other profile of player but not their game, it's not about a good shot per se but a shot the player wants to take.

    Also if Lance seems like an adequate defender- he seemed to have moments but wildly inconsistent overall- some other decent defenders would flourish. Ricky or Dunn defending the passing lanes can't do much if there's no effort from the closer teammate; they are too raw to read those plays.


    Expectations should be moderate but he could potentially help.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    15,264
    Official:


  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,955
    Darren Wolfson

    @DWolfsonKSTP

    Thibs said there's a chance Stephenson plays tonight. #Twolves

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    Darren Wolfson

    @DWolfsonKSTP

    Thibs said there's a chance Stephenson plays tonight. #Twolves
    I'll be at the game. I'd like to see him play.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    Darren Wolfson

    @DWolfsonKSTP

    Thibs said there's a chance Stephenson plays tonight. #Twolves
    If/when he plays, where his minutes come from will be interesting. Thibs has been talking fondly of Tyus and Dunn's hand isn't a long term injury. Rush might not be playing too much?

    As I've said, Stephenson slots well as an end of bench guy who could be completely out of the rotation, but could useful in an injury situation. He should be hungry to stay in the league and the reports from his time in LA off the bench seemed favorable. If he's decent for us, a small/minimum type contract for next year would give you flexibility.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    15,264
    Quote Originally Posted by dschroeder01 View Post
    If/when he plays, where his minutes come from will be interesting. Thibs has been talking fondly of Tyus and Dunn's hand isn't a long term injury. Rush might not be playing too much?

    As I've said, Stephenson slots well as an end of bench guy who could be completely out of the rotation, but could useful in an injury situation. He should be hungry to stay in the league and the reports from his time in LA off the bench seemed favorable. If he's decent for us, a small/minimum type contract for next year would give you flexibility.
    Even last year for Memphis he was better than Wiggins has been this year...

    Stolen from Canis:

    Memphis Lance (replacement level player) vs Andrew Wiggins this year (max contract player):

    MP: 692, 1933
    PER: 17.1, 15.4
    TS%: .537, .530
    3PAr: .101, .191
    FTr: .263, .340
    ORB%: 3.3, 3.8
    DRB% 16.2, 9.2
    TRB%: 9.5, 6.5
    AST%: 19.2, 11.2
    STL%: 1.4, 1.1
    BLK%: 0.8, 0.9
    TOV%: 11.0, 10.2
    USG%: 25.3, 27.7
    WS/48: 0.086, 0.057
    OBPM: 0.1, -0.2
    DBPM: -1.3, -2.7
    BPM: -1.2, -3.0

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    15,264
    If we can get something close to Pacers era Lance, he should end up starting for us.

    He's kind of the ideal compliment to Wiggins. He defends, he rebounds, he's a very good secondary playmaker.

    Most of all, he adds an edge and a toughness that our team is sorely, sorely lacking. You NEED to have that guy on your team. Having 5 "nice guys" is great if you need help moving, but on the court an instigator is needed.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,955
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsxman View Post
    I'll be at the game. I'd like to see him play.
    I hope they get a win for the sake of the home fans. The least they owe you is 4 qtrs of full effort.

    If Stephenson can keep his act together, he can help us. 10 day contract is a perfect look see.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,955
    Quote Originally Posted by dschroeder01 View Post
    If/when he plays, where his minutes come from will be interesting. Thibs has been talking fondly of Tyus and Dunn's hand isn't a long term injury. Rush might not be playing too much?

    As I've said, Stephenson slots well as an end of bench guy who could be completely out of the rotation, but could useful in an injury situation. He should be hungry to stay in the league and the reports from his time in LA off the bench seemed favorable. If he's decent for us, a small/minimum type contract for next year would give you flexibility.
    I agree. I think he could be a good fit in either the 1st or 2nd unit. I like him as a tough matchup against other teams one on one.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    If we can get something close to Pacers era Lance, he should end up starting for us.

    He's kind of the ideal compliment to Wiggins. He defends, he rebounds, he's a very good secondary playmaker.

    Most of all, he adds an edge and a toughness that our team is sorely, sorely lacking. You NEED to have that guy on your team. Having 5 "nice guys" is great if you need help moving, but on the court an instigator is needed.
    Agreed. We need a tough guy. Stephenson isn't as strong as P.J. Tucker (not many are), but could give us some of what Tucker could provide.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    I agree. I think he could be a good fit in either the 1st or 2nd unit. I like him as a tough matchup against other teams one on one.
    Ideally I would see him as a 2nd unit guy that would help initiate offense. If he can match his recent bench production, I'd much rather pay him a small salary to provide 20-25 mpg off the bench than pay Bazz $10+M.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    15,264
    He's saying all the right things:

    http://video.startribune.com/new-tim...ves/413184143/

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,955
    Quote Originally Posted by dschroeder01 View Post
    Ideally I would see him as a 2nd unit guy that would help initiate offense. If he can match his recent bench production, I'd much rather pay him a small salary to provide 20-25 mpg off the bench than pay Bazz $10+M.
    I'm curious to see him play with Bazz. They are similar in some ways in being strong tough inside players as they back guys down in the post. Those two will give teams trouble. Plus, he has to be good for Wiggins. I'm thinking they continue to play Wigs at the 3 with Stephenson' ball handling at the off guard. We'll see. I'm excited.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    15,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    I'm thinking they continue to play Wigs at the 3 with Stephenson' ball handling at the off guard. We'll see. I'm excited.
    I don't think it makes any difference if the ballhandling comes from SG or SF, but I expect if those 2 share the court, our goal will be for Lance to guard the bigger opposing wing - and hopefully force the bigger man to guard him.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    He does say all the right things. But so did JR Rider. We'll have to see if he lives up to it or not.
    We obviously need defense and a little grit and attitude. I think he can bring that. And it'll be nice to have a guy on the second unit that can generate some offense too.

    The only fear is that he comes in and poisons a young guy like Randy Moss did with Percy Harvin. But a guy on a 10-day contract will obviously be on his best behavior or he'll be heading to Istanbul for his next gig.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,955
    Quote Originally Posted by ECA19 View Post
    He does say all the right things. But so did JR Rider. We'll have to see if he lives up to it or not.
    We obviously need defense and a little grit and attitude. I think he can bring that. And it'll be nice to have a guy on the second unit that can generate some offense too.

    The only fear is that he comes in and poisons a young guy like Randy Moss did with Percy Harvin. But a guy on a 10-day contract will obviously be on his best behavior or he'll be heading to Istanbul for his next gig.
    He does say all the right things. But so did JR Rider.

    That's good. I love JR's game. He was so amazingly talented. Total head case though. I used to talk to his mom who was an avid pull tab player at a local watering hole west of downtown Mpls. Nice lady and proud of her son. Man, she loved the pull tabs. Always dressed to the nines. JR bot an entire new state of the art weight room with all the fines he received for being late. You can't make it up.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    C-Unit HQ
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by stlouiswolf View Post
    I hadn't viewed Lance as someone you would run your offense through. It sounds like he has an odd skill set that Thibs might need to be creative with to get the most out of. But signing a guy on a 10-day hardly means the end of Ricky. It does sound like he may give a boost to the second unit and a Dunn-Stephenson backcourt could be intriguing in that it might let KD play off the ball more.
    Tom can pair Lance with Dunn in the second unit for five games and see if he likes what he sees. If he does, he can pull the trigger on a Ricky trade over the All Star break. It would be a gamble for sure... but with Zach out you have Dunn and Lance initiating the offense with Tyus coming off the bench the rest of this tanking season.

    Do I want Ricky to be traded?
    No.

    We're there rumors that Tom was looking for a vet PG that could move to the second unit when Dunn is ready to take over?
    Yes.

    Lance isn't a PG but he was becoming a star in Indy in a primary ball handling role... before he listened to his agent and screwed up his career. The fans here loved him. So he fits the rumored "ideal scenario" to move Ricky, albeit in an unorthodox way.

    Time will tell.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    He does say all the right things. But so did JR Rider.

    That's good. I love JR's game. He was so amazingly talented. Total head case though. I used to talk to his mom who was an avid pull tab player at a local watering hole west of downtown Mpls. Nice lady and proud of her son. Man, she loved the pull tabs. Always dressed to the nines. JR bot an entire new state of the art weight room with all the fines he received for being late. You can't make it up.
    JR was the ultimate con artist. You'd hear him in an interview and by the time it was done you'd think he really had his head on straight. He sounded smart and sincere, and said all the right things. Then he'd turn into the complete opposite. He was (is?) a con artist addict who may have flushed away more talent than anyone.

    That's funny stuff about his mom, btw.


 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •