Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 106
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,058

    Wolves to sign Stephenson

    http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/02/t...tephenson.html

    Not really expected but I like the signing. Mainly because I think our best targets as free agents and draft candidates are better versions of Lance. Or at least they will fit into our system and needs more. PJ Tucker and Bridges being two of those guys. Let's see how that style fits.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,354
    Interesting. Is he a 3 or a 4?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,840
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsxman View Post
    Interesting. Is he a 3 or a 4?
    He's a big 2-3.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,058
    I like the idea of filling the roster with flexible 2-3-4 types to supplement the core of young players. We could always use more shooting but I think we lack toughness and consistent effort defensively. Players who bring that to the table need to be targets going forward. Bazz playing some 4 this year is a good thing as well.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Vigo, Spain
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/02/t...tephenson.html

    Not really expected but I like the signing. Mainly because I think our best targets as free agents and draft candidates are better versions of Lance. Or at least they will fit into our system and needs more. PJ Tucker and Bridges being two of those guys. Let's see how that style fits.
    I also like the signing, even more than the other options you list. At some point the team has to give some opportunity to reclamation projects or no names. One issue for the Wolves may be excess of pedigree, with so many players expected to produce- first round picks, international stars, expensive signings- they cut space for players who have to play like the entire world owes them money. Then people wonders why they never find anybody of Jamychal Green or Jonathon Simmons ilk.

    Someone like Tucker could easily lose part of his efficiency once he gets a contract at a market rate, with the involved security-probably his last contract- and the expectations. He would be asked to bring at least whatever mojo he is sporting now but it doesn't work that way; it's a lot more difficult to keep some floor level of play than beating moderate expectations. An issue with the Wolves is they pick normal players at their apex and pay them stupid money giving them the task to fulfil unrealistic scenarios (hi JJ Barea). Then sometimes those players come back to moderate contracts and expectations and actually don't seem that bad (Barea for peanuts).

    Go after some blue collar guys who a)come from the basement and not from the lottery b) make peanuts and have a drive to get better and c) don't have some evident limitation like a Craig Smith. Reclamation projects like Lance should also have a tiny chance to work in that regard, he is young, talented and the window is closing.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,058
    Quote Originally Posted by pagliatti View Post
    I also like the signing, even more than the other options you list. At some point the team has to give some opportunity to reclamation projects or no names. One issue for the Wolves may be excess of pedigree, with so many players expected to produce- first round picks, international stars, expensive signings- they cut space for players who have to play like the entire world owes them money. Then people wonders why they never find anybody of Jamychal Green or Jonathon Simmons ilk.

    Someone like Tucker could easily lose part of his efficiency once he gets a contract at a market rate, with the involved security-probably his last contract- and the expectations. He would be asked to bring at least whatever mojo he is sporting now but it doesn't work that way; it's a lot more difficult to keep some floor level of play than beating moderate expectations. An issue with the Wolves is they pick normal players at their apex and pay them stupid money giving them the task to fulfil unrealistic scenarios (hi JJ Barea). Then sometimes those players come back to moderate contracts and expectations and actually don't seem that bad (Barea for peanuts).

    Go after some blue collar guys who a)come from the basement and not from the lottery b) make peanuts and have a drive to get better and c) don't have some evident limitation like a Craig Smith. Reclamation projects like Lance should also have a tiny chance to work in that regard, he is young, talented and the window is closing.
    In fairness, the Wolves new FO with Thibs and Layden did not do what you are saying. It has happened throughout the Wolves history yes but the Wolves had interest in veterans but wouldn't pay them last year. We are better positioned this year to get a Tucker, Gibson, or maybe even a Simmons at a rate that is going to be more then what they currently get paid but maybe not the bad contract that these players would have been given last year. A lot of teams blew the cap space they had last year on players who are worse then this year's guys (NO, PHX, Ind, Orl to name a few).

    I agree we need to gamble on a younger version of Tucker or others who can fill roles. The D-League top 25 would be a good place to start. But this team also needs a couple of late 20-early 30 year old veterans to provide leadership and toughness that a young guy can't. I don't think we should trade for this type of guy now as it will cost an asset but they need to be targets in free agency.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    15,270
    Love the signing. If his head is on straight, he's a great fit next to Wiggins. He's a bigger wing that has to be defended and his playmaking ability and rebounding can help hide some of Drew's weaknesses.

    Amazing that he's still only 26.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Vigo, Spain
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    In fairness, the Wolves new FO with Thibs and Layden did not do what you are saying. It has happened throughout the Wolves history yes but the Wolves had interest in veterans but wouldn't pay them last year. We are better positioned this year to get a Tucker, Gibson, or maybe even a Simmons at a rate that is going to be more then what they currently get paid but maybe not the bad contract that these players would have been given last year. A lot of teams blew the cap space they had last year on players who are worse then this year's guys (NO, PHX, Ind, Orl to name a few).

    I agree we need to gamble on a younger version of Tucker or others who can fill roles. The D-League top 25 would be a good place to start. But this team also needs a couple of late 20-early 30 year old veterans to provide leadership and toughness that a young guy can't. I don't think we should trade for this type of guy now as it will cost an asset but they need to be targets in free agency.
    Yes, the FO did a nice job keeping the powder dry. I almost subscribe what you are saying, just wanted to remark that some players of that breed thrive because of their humble origin. Trenton Hassell may not be the best example as the league shifted from that profile which may explain partially his abrupt fall of grace but in general when those players get a decent contract they lose a part of what made them get there; that innate desire to prove they can bring something to the table and belong. While obviously there are a tier of defenders who will always be a good get some of those other guys at nowadays market rate scare me a lot.

    Remember the type of contract Bruce Bowen had. One bad season and they could kick him out of there into oblivion. With the numbers that fly today it's difficult to keep them hungry, there are a lot more factors than just the correct attitude.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,058
    Quote Originally Posted by pagliatti View Post
    Yes, the FO did a nice job keeping the powder dry. I almost subscribe what you are saying, just wanted to remark that some players of that breed thrive because of their humble origin. Trenton Hassell may not be the best example as the league shifted from that profile which may explain partially his abrupt fall of grace but in general when those players get a decent contract they lose a part of what made them get there; that innate desire to prove they can bring something to the table and belong. While obviously there are a tier of defenders who will always be a good get some of those other guys at nowadays market rate scare me a lot.

    Remember the type of contract Bruce Bowen had. One bad season and they could kick him out of there into oblivion. With the numbers that fly today it's difficult to keep them hungry, there are a lot more factors than just the correct attitude.
    Agree. We have been maybe the worst franchises in the league at finding players that can even be a rotation contributor whether it was a cheap free agent or a late first or 2nd round pick that was given away.

    And our free agent positioning is good but we will still have a lot of competition. Just depends on what players resign with teams before free agency, what options are picked up, and who is targeted. I do think we will be in a good spot as we'll likely target the 2nd or even 3rd tier right away while most are chasing tier 1 and 2 players.

    http://www.basketballinsiders.com/pr...ew-deal-terms/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    15,270
    Lance did have a really nice end of the season for Memphis last year - playing for a tough, defensive-minded coach.

    26 games: 27 MPG, 14.2 PPG (47/36/82), 4.4 RPG, 2.8 APG, .7 SPG.

    And he was off to a nice start in NO this season with some solid character/redemption type stories being written about him. But then he got hurt and was expected to be out a couple months, so they waived him for the roster spot.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    15,270
    Lance Stephenson 2016 Season Highlights

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_eKvi4Zi_g

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    15,270
    Clippers Appreciated Stephenson As A Teammate
    Rowan Kavner Digital Content Coordinator

    LOS ANGELES - Think about the mercurial Lance Stephenson, and for many, the image of him blowing in LeBron James’ ear during a game comes to mind.

    When he became a Clipper, his teammates didn’t know what to expect. They saw the bizarre yet entertaining on-court antics. They witnessed his generally unpredictable nature, leaving many wondering what exactly to anticipate.

    What they came to find out was different than what many presumed.

    “Lance was awesome as a teammate, as a locker room guy,” said J.J. Redick. “You hear things about guys, and I said this when we got him, but I give everybody a fair chance. Peoples’ reputations don’t carry weight with me. It’s about how you act with us, and he was great in our group.”

    More than anything, Stephenson tried. He wanted to fit in, while still unabashedly being himself.

    On the court, that effort was met with varying success. He’d celebrate a miraculous pass only he could make, then forget to get back in transition. He’d throw down one of the dunks of the year, then follow with a missed defensive assignment.

    Stephenson went from starter to reserve, to completely out of the rotation then back in again. Through the entire rollercoaster ride, though, the Clippers didn’t see a divisive presence, whether he was playing or not.

    “Lance the guy, he was great,” said head coach Doc Rivers. “Guys really liked him. There’s another example to me…you keep learning about people. You don’t know a guy until you coach a guy. I was really happy with him as far as how he handled himself.”

    Stephenson didn’t want to be sitting, as he did through nine “DNPs” throughout the year, but he remained generally upbeat. “Born Ready” tried to stay ready in his own unpredictable way.

    Before most games, he’d typically be found grunting and blurting out phrases somewhat incoherently while working out, usually making his teammates laugh in the process. When the ball tipped off, he was up and celebrating on the bench.

    “He was a great locker room guy,” said Jamal Crawford. “He was different than what I expected from afar. You see the blowing in the ear and stuff from a distance, and you’re like, ‘Oh, man.’ But when you get him, he’s a fun-loving guy. He’s always having fun, high energy. He was great.”

    On Thursday, Stephenson’s brief time with the Clippers came to an end. His role and minutes all season fluctuated, though he was coming off his best stretch of the season, going 24-for-34 in his last seven games and serving as a valuable energy boost with his playing time seeing an increase.

    In his final Clippers game, he played 24 minutes – his most since the start of December.

    While he appeared on the upswing, and Rivers said he was “very ready to go into the playoffs with Lance,” the Clippers saw a move for Jeff Green they wanted to make. Rivers said he wanted someone with length, and the deal for Green provided that.

    “Other than that, we were keeping Lance, because I liked him,” Rivers said.

    While Stephenson hasn’t replicated the success he experienced toward the end of his time in Indiana, when he was consistently scoring in double digits and occasionally putting up triple-doubles, he still shows glimpses of greatness.

    He can get out in transition in a flash and his physical gifts still stand out. When he was rolling, his impulsive nature became endearing to a STAPLES Center crowd which cheered every time he entered the game.

    Somewhere, Redick hopes things work out for Stephenson, even if it didn’t in Los Angeles.

    “I wish him the best,” Redick said. “I really hope he finds a situation where he can showcase all of his talents.”

    http://www.nba.com/clippers/news/cli...as-a-teammate/

  13. #13
    Lance seems like a low risk addition at this point. I liked the idea of him before the season as well as he's a versatile player that could play off the bench, but has enough skill to the point where he could play more in an injury situation. I guess we get to see that after all.

    It'll be good to see another option for a bench guy as insurance in regards to Bazz and RFA. Bazz is riding a hot shooting stretch, but statistically he's not going to lead the league in 3 pt shooting. If Wiggins and Zach are the future wings, it's going to be tough to pay the primary backup a ton when he also a liability on D. Stephenson could be almost as effective at a fraction of the cost.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    17,040
    Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    Love the signing. If his head is on straight, he's a great fit next to Wiggins. He's a bigger wing that has to be defended and his playmaking ability and rebounding can help hide some of Drew's weaknesses.

    Amazing that he's still only 26.
    If he can't get his head screwed on straight in Minneapolis, he's probably done in the NBA (IMO) beyond tryouts.
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    Lance Stephenson 2016 Season Highlights

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_eKvi4Zi_g
    Oh is that what a passing wing looks like? I like the fit.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,972
    Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    Lance Stephenson 2016 Season Highlights

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_eKvi4Zi_g
    Good stuff Levine. If he can keep his head together he'll help us. I love his size. Talented guy.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,945
    Looks like a good fit, but boy does he ever carry a lot of baggage. That probably explains why he's still available. The Wolves are desperate for a player like him so I like the signing. Even if he doesn't stay around would be nice if he shows the young pups what it looks like to play with an edge.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by stlouiswolf View Post
    Looks like a good fit, but boy does he ever carry a lot of baggage. That probably explains why he's still available. The Wolves are desperate for a player like him so I like the signing. Even if he doesn't stay around would be nice if he shows the young pups what it looks like to play with an edge.
    I have not been a lance stephenson guy, but I cant believe he has fallen so far as to only be able to land a 10 day contract. glad to give him a try, and if he says one wrong word you send him packing with no real loss.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,498
    If his character issues are about screwing around humorously, like blowing in LeBron's ear, I'm cool with him. What I wouldn't want is arrogant selfishness. Christian Laettner comes to mind.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,580
    Quote Originally Posted by spiker View Post
    If his character issues are about screwing around humorously, like blowing in LeBron's ear, I'm cool with him. What I wouldn't want is arrogant selfishness. Christian Laettner comes to mind.
    Given that he's on a 10 day contract and no playoff team was biting, any attitude problems would likely spell the end of his NBA career.


 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •