Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Down the stretch

Wolves have 30 games left and it looks like it could be tough going with 15 of those games against teams with records over .500 including home/home with GSW and SAS along with road games against Houston (2), Boston and Washington. Another 6 are road games against teams very much in the playoff race including Denver, Portland (2), Sacto, NOP, Milwaukee and Miami. Overall, 17 are on the road vs. 13 at home.

Chad Ford's latest Mock Draft 3.0 includes projected W-L totals and has the Wolves finishing 33-49 putting us in the 8th draft slot. I know that the projected record statistically derived, but looking at our schedule, I have a hard time seeing us playing near .500 down the stretch against so many good teams and so many road games.

We're pretty safe in the 5-10 conversation which is a good spot to be this year. It looks like a lot of the guys who could go early aren't exactly fits with our current core but the next wave in 5-10 could be perfect complements. Markannen sounds intriguing but I hate watching his tape matched up defensively against quicker guys, he's a sieve. Love his shooting but we need 2-way players.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    We're pretty safe in the 5-10 conversation which is a good spot to be this year. It looks like a lot of the guys who could go early aren't exactly fits with our current core but the next wave in 5-10 could be perfect complements. Markannen sounds intriguing but I hate watching his tape matched up defensively against quicker guys, he's a sieve. Love his shooting but we need 2-way players.
    He's my least favorite guy in the lottery. Might be the best shooter in the draft, but we don't need another offense only guy. And while he'd open up the paint for KAT to work on offense, he absolutely can't defend PFs or the on the perimeter.

I'd love one of the SFs, but I'm kind of intrigued by Frank Ntilikina. Great 3pt shooter, already a stud defender at 18 and likely will be able to defend PG-SF as he fills out. PG skills, but not ball dominant - could really play next to Rubio or Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    He's my least favorite guy in the lottery. Might be the best shooter in the draft, but we don't need another offense only guy. And while he'd open up the paint for KAT to work on offense, he absolutely can't defend PFs or the on the perimeter.

I'd love one of the SFs, but I'm kind of intrigued by Frank Ntilikina. Great 3pt shooter, already a stud defender at 18 and likely will be able to defend PG-SF as he fills out. PG skills, but not ball dominant - could really play next to Rubio or Dunn.
    My man crush is Bridges but I like what I have read on Ntilikina. I need to watch some video on him. I like being in the 5-10 range because it gives us a shot at those two but I'm actually not a fan of most of the other players in that range outside of Isaac. The others I think have enough holes in their game or redundancy with our roster that I hope we don't go with them. Harry Giles health is my big concern with him but what he used to be sounds like a fit.

Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post

Ntilikina does sound interesting. Jonathan Isaac is another guy that is pretty intriguing as a 6'10" SF who looks pretty well rounded for a freshman. He needs to add weight for sure, but he's got pretty wide shoulders to do it.

I would go with Ntilikina in a heartbeat. He seems to have it all except his physical body is kinda slight.

Quote Originally Posted by dschroeder01 View Post
    Wolves have 30 games left and it looks like it could be tough going with 15 of those games against teams with records over .500 including home/home with GSW and SAS along with road games against Houston (2), Boston and Washington. Another 6 are road games against teams very much in the playoff race including Denver, Portland (2), Sacto, NOP, Milwaukee and Miami. Overall, 17 are on the road vs. 13 at home.

Chad Ford's latest Mock Draft 3.0 includes projected W-L totals and has the Wolves finishing 33-49 putting us in the 8th draft slot. I know that the projected record statistically derived, but looking at our schedule, I have a hard time seeing us playing near .500 down the stretch against so many good teams and so many road games.
    So we are 19-33 right now. You bring up a great point about how tough the last 30 games will be. So let's say we manage to win at our current 37% pace (even that may be tough). That would be 11 more wins, for a total of 30. We won 29 games last year.

Last year was chaos, with Flip's death, and Sam Mitchell/Milt Newton taking over. We now have a coach, and front office, that were supposed to be a big improvement. Our core guys are young, but most are in their 2nd, 3rd or even 4th year.

It's not like I expected a long playoff run. But we are treading water, at best. If that's how it plays out I have to say the season is a huge disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by ECA19 View Post
    So we are 19-33 right now. You bring up a great point about how tough the last 30 games will be. So let's say we manage to win at our current 37% pace (even that may be tough). That would be 11 more wins, for a total of 30. We won 29 games last year.

Last year was chaos, with Flip's death, and Sam Mitchell/Milt Newton taking over. We now have a coach, and front office, that were supposed to be a big improvement. Our core guys are young, but most are in their 2nd, 3rd or even 4th year.

It's not like I expected a long playoff run. But we are treading water, at best. If that's how it plays out I have to say the season is a huge disappointment.
    Understatement of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by ECA19 View Post

I will agree 100%. If thats our record I think this year is a huge disappointment. I'm sure my season ticket renewals will not reflect that...sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsxman View Post
    I will agree 100%. If thats our record I think this year is a huge disappointment. I'm sure my season ticket renewals will not reflect that...sadly.
    The season, lost as almost it is, should leave some flotsam. What would be irking is to get to the end of the year with great doubts about the roles of the different players, with the whole roster taking turns as the only salvageable piece.

Maybe, regardless of those last games and the record, some players stand out as succesful in determined roles, larger or shorter. If they can identify what's missing in the recipe that would be some light in the darkness. Rubio/AW/KAT at a solid level with someone else shining at a smaller role could be a reason for hope. KAT, AW solidly installed in the 20 PPG game after game while baby stepping into everything else would mean fear in the West, not yet screams and tears but some mumblings and unrest.

Thread Information