Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    Yep. It will come. Thibs has said he's getting better there lately.

This might be the best played 4 qtr game on a back to back I've ever seen or at least remember from our guys. Could it be the start of something big? In sports, you never know.
    Wiggins has just been on a whole other level since he put on the green shoes. I hope he doesn't regress after all star break, he's shown he can be super streaky so it's not out of the realm of possibility. Let's hope he continues this consistently

Quote Originally Posted by Z0r View Post
    Wiggins has just been on a whole other level since he put on the green shoes. I hope he doesn't regress after all star break, he's shown he can be super streaky so it's not out of the realm of possibility. Let's hope he continues this consistently
    This has been a good stretch of ball from him...even in other facets...and he's shooting quite well of late. He's shot 50%+ in the last 5.

If you're going to be a one trick pony, be damn good at it (and he is lately).
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...

Wiggins scored really well tonight. His shooting has really picked up recently and he's had a few more complete games. I always wonder though how much "playing well" is really just shooting well? Wiggins has hit a bunch of mid range jumpers during this stretch. If/when the hot shooting tapers (remember his 3pt % early in the year?), he's instead missing a bunch of mid range jumpers. I like that he's making them obviously, but I hope he doesn't forget his post up game/drawing fouls that he used to score with more his first 2 years.

KAT could've had 30 if he would have finished several bunnies near the rim.

Dunn showed a pulse.

Ricky and Tyus weren't very good at all.

Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    I'd still trade him. I just think Brooklyn is going to make a huge offer to him and I don't want to match.

Plus I don't think our top 3 wings can be all offense/no defense guys. I guess if we get a real SF I'm ok with keeping Bazz or Zach - with the guy who stays being our 6th man.
    I really hope that this is what Thibs/Layden are thinking. Wiggins is getting a max contract and Zach will be in that range as well although his injury could play a role in his upcoming contract. I'm not sure how you can pay Bazz if you're keeping Zach. That's just the finances. The fit on the court is just as much of a problem as it's going to be hard to win when the bulk of your wing minutes are going to poor defenders.

Back to Zach's extension...I've read discussion that his injury could actually help the Wolves as it might dampen his contract potential. What I see as a bigger potential silver lining is the injury creates a scenario where Zach falls into a 6th man role. The Wolves should do this anyway, but Zach's injury and uncertain recovery timetable creates the need to bring in a legit wing player in a trade or FA. There's an easy justification to bring Zach off the bench. It's too bad Lance got hurt as I was hoping that he could turn a productive rest of the year into a small guaranteed deal that would make it easier to let Bazz go either in a trade or via FA.

Quote Originally Posted by dschroeder01 View Post
    Wiggins scored really well tonight. His shooting has really picked up recently and he's had a few more complete games. I always wonder though how much "playing well" is really just shooting well? Wiggins has hit a bunch of mid range jumpers during this stretch. If/when the hot shooting tapers (remember his 3pt % early in the year?), he's instead missing a bunch of mid range jumpers. I like that he's making them obviously, but I hope he doesn't forget his post up game/drawing fouls that he used to score with more his first 2 years.

KAT could've had 30 if he would have finished several bunnies near the rim.

Dunn showed a pulse.

Ricky and Tyus weren't very good at all.
    Drew is still taking a bunch of midrange jumpers, but he seems to be getting in better position for them and they seem less forced. Also I haven't seen as many fadeaways.

I really hope that this is what Thibs/Layden are thinking. Wiggins is getting a max contract and Zach will be in that range as well although his injury could play a role in his upcoming contract. I'm not sure how you can pay Bazz if you're keeping Zach. That's just the finances. The fit on the court is just as much of a problem as it's going to be hard to win when the bulk of your wing minutes are going to poor defenders.

Back to Zach's extension...I've read discussion that his injury could actually help the Wolves as it might dampen his contract potential. What I see as a bigger potential silver lining is the injury creates a scenario where Zach falls into a 6th man role. The Wolves should do this anyway, but Zach's injury and uncertain recovery timetable creates the need to bring in a legit wing player in a trade or FA. There's an easy justification to bring Zach off the bench. It's too bad Lance got hurt as I was hoping that he could turn a productive rest of the year into a small guaranteed deal that would make it easier to let Bazz go either in a trade or via FA.
    I really, really want that bigger SF so Wiggins can continue to not have to be guarded by guys 30 and 40 pounds bigger than him. Otto Porter would've been my ideal target, but I can't imagine the Wiz not matching a Max offer in a second. So now, I'm kind of on the Jonathan Issac bandwagon.

I really, really want that bigger SF so Wiggins can continue to not have to be guarded by guys 30 and 40 pounds bigger than him. Otto Porter would've been my ideal target, but I can't imagine the Wiz not matching a Max offer in a second. So now, I'm kind of on the Jonathan Issac bandwagon.
    Isaac is my preferred guy too in our range. Even if he's skinny, a 6'10" SF would force the other team to put their bigger wing on him freeing up Drew. Zach as the 6th man.

An interesting alternative...we pick for Portland and trade the player they want at our lotto slot for Aminu and swap spots with Portland into the late lotto? Take a chance on a guy coming back from injury like Anunoby or Giles?

Isaac is my preferred guy too in our range. Even if he's skinny, a 6'10" SF would force the other team to put their bigger wing on him freeing up Drew. Zach as the 6th man.
    Isaac is skinny up top, but he has a pretty sturdy base for a guy his size. And lower body strength is so much more important than upper.

An interesting alternative...we pick for Portland and trade the player they want at our lotto slot for Aminu and swap spots with Portland into the late lotto? Take a chance on a guy coming back from injury like Anunoby or Giles?
    I don't think so. I have no idea what to make of Giles, and I'm not sure OG even stays in the draft (if he does, I bet he goes closer to 30 than the lottery). And this is such a strong top of the draft, I'd hate to miss out on a much better prospect just to add Aminu.

I don't think so. I have no idea what to make of Giles, and I'm not sure OG even stays in the draft (if he does, I bet he goes closer to 30 than the lottery). And this is such a strong top of the draft, I'd hate to miss out on a much better prospect just to add Aminu.
    That could be. I was just going off of Chad Ford's latest mock draft where he had OG going 19th. Giles was at 11.

I was also considering that the Wolves might slip lower in the lottery than the very top tier talent. If we're in the 8-9 range, I don't like those guys as much based on fit issues with our roster IMO (and I don't think Thibs would take a PG like Ntilikina with Dunn on board). If the med report suggests that OG is going to make a full recovery, I'd rather have him and Aminu than a guy like say Markkanen with his projected defensive shortcomings. As you said though...OG may not even stay in the draft.

That could be. I was just going off of Chad Ford's latest mock draft where he had OG going 19th. Giles was at 11.

I was also considering that the Wolves might slip lower in the lottery than the very top tier talent. If we're in the 8-9 range, I don't like those guys as much based on fit issues with our roster IMO (and I don't think Thibs would take a PG like Ntilikina with Dunn on board). If the med report suggests that OG is going to make a full recovery, I'd rather have him and Aminu than a guy like say Markkanen with his projected defensive shortcomings. As you said though...OG may not even stay in the draft.
    I was all about OG early on, but its really looking like that early 3pt shooting was a total mirage. He was all the way down to 31% when he got hurt and he's a 52% FT shooter. I love his defensive potential, but if he's not a scoring threat at all, he may be unplayable. Giles has that ugly injury history, and he's been a mess (especially on defense) when he has been able to play.

If Isaac isn't there, I take Bridges in a heartbeat. I also think Ntilikina may be a guy who could play next to Dunn or Rubio pretty easily. He's got legit SG size, he's a terrific multi-positional defender, really high BBIQ and a very good 3pt shooter. He's not a pound the ball type of guard, so I think he could also be a great secondary playmaker.

I love Jonathan Isaac but he's about as thin as Wiggins is. He's reported at 6'10" 210. They both need to fill out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    I love Jonathan Isaac but he's about as thin as Wiggins is. He's reported at 6'10" 210. They both need to fill out.
    Most kids at 19 need to. He's also put on more than 25 pounds since the 2015 Nike Skills Academy.

But again, Isaac has a pretty good base, really long arms and very good feet, so he should be able to handle SFs.

Most kids at 19 need to. He's also put on more than 25 pounds since the 2015 Nike Skills Academy.

But again, Isaac has a pretty good base, really long arms and very good feet, so he should be able to handle SFs.
    Yep, I saw that later as I responded to you before looking at the following posts. Good point. I really like Isaac. He has a lot of skill.

Isaac or Bridges long term would give us the bigger SF we need to pair with Wiggins in the starting lineup and a potential small ball 4 when we go with a smaller lineup. I love both of their fits for our team.

Short term though, I agree that Lavine and the roster would be best served with him coming off the bench next year and maybe long term. I don't know if he'll go for that but we would need to sign a veteran SF this summer to protect us from Lavine rust and to build a bridge for an eventual SF if we draft one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Isaac or Bridges long term would give us the bigger SF we need to pair with Wiggins in the starting lineup and a potential small ball 4 when we go with a smaller lineup. I love both of their fits for our team.

Short term though, I agree that Lavine and the roster would be best served with him coming off the bench next year and maybe long term. I don't know if he'll go for that but we would need to sign a veteran SF this summer to protect us from Lavine rust and to build a bridge for an eventual SF if we draft one.
    Would sure be nice if Lance could be that guy.

Would sure be nice if Lance could be that guy.
    I just think there's a zero percent chance that Lance is that guy or that I would want to risk any investment on him even if his play is improved the rest of the year. Making plans that include Lance ultimately means you have some really flawed plans to start.

In terms of free agents, Tucker is the guy who is the most natural fit defensively and professionalim wise. He's going to cost a lot more than Lance but I think he's still likely an 8-10 mill a year player for maybe 3 years. If you could get him to go for a 2 year plus team option contract for 10-12 million per year, it might be more value short term for him and his contract would come off the books before a KAT extension hits. We'd still have money for Gibson, Patterson, Jerebko at the 4 as well with that size contact for Tucker.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I just think there's a zero percent chance that Lance is that guy or that I would want to risk any investment on him even if his play is improved the rest of the year. Making plans that include Lance ultimately means you have some really flawed plans to start.

In terms of free agents, Tucker is the guy who is the most natural fit defensively and professionalim wise. He's going to cost a lot more than Lance but I think he's still likely an 8-10 mill a year player for maybe 3 years. If you could get him to go for a 2 year plus team option contract for 10-12 million per year, it might be more value short term for him and his contract would come off the books before a KAT extension hits. We'd still have money for Gibson, Patterson, Jerebko at the 4 as well with that size contact for Tucker.
    I like Tucker, but I worry someone will offer him 4 years - and with this likely being his last contract, he'd jump on it.

Speaking of Wiggins and Zach playing together, some interesting on/off court numbers on the season:

Wiggins and LaVine: -3
    Wiggins without LaVine: +5
    LaVine without Wiggins: -4
    Wiggins and Towns without LaVine: +7
    Wiggins and Towns with LaVine: -3
    Towns and LaVine without Wiggins: -6

I was all about OG early on, but its really looking like that early 3pt shooting was a total mirage. He was all the way down to 31% when he got hurt and he's a 52% FT shooter. I love his defensive potential, but if he's not a scoring threat at all, he may be unplayable. Giles has that ugly injury history, and he's been a mess (especially on defense) when he has been able to play.

If Isaac isn't there, I take Bridges in a heartbeat. I also think Ntilikina may be a guy who could play next to Dunn or Rubio pretty easily. He's got legit SG size, he's a terrific multi-positional defender, really high BBIQ and a very good 3pt shooter. He's not a pound the ball type of guard, so I think he could also be a great secondary playmaker.
    It's looking like the Wolves will be at 8-10 at best which is probably out of the running for Isaac. Ntilikina may also be out of reach but would be a great get. Seems like they may be destined to pick just out of the elite prospects, but could get their pick of the PFs like Williams and Bridges or maybe even Markannen. Trading down might be an option but unlike last year there aren't a lot of teams with multiple picks, so the Wolves would need to get a legit rotation player that fits their age range. Seems unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by stlouiswolf View Post
    It's looking like the Wolves will be at 8-10 at best which is probably out of the running for Isaac. Ntilikina may also be out of reach but would be a great get. Seems like they may be destined to pick just out of the elite prospects, but could get their pick of the PFs like Williams and Bridges or maybe even Markannen. Trading down might be an option but unlike last year there aren't a lot of teams with multiple picks, so the Wolves would need to get a legit rotation player that fits their age range. Seems unlikely.
    I'd snap up Bridges in a second if Isaac is gone. I think he's more SF than PF right now, but he's the "right kind" of tweener.

Thread Information