Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Plenty of talent in this draft to move down a spot or two and get a good player. You think the Rubio rumors are a pain imagine Ball anywhere but in Los Angeles? I would rather have Fultz myself but I would gladly trade Ball for other parts.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

“Statistics are no substitute for judgment”
    Henry Clay

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf on the Prowl View Post
    Plenty of talent in this draft to move down a spot or two and get a good player. You think the Rubio rumors are a pain imagine Ball anywhere but in Los Angeles? I would rather have Fultz myself but I would gladly trade Ball for other parts.
    Plus, "the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree" analogy could be used. I love the kids talent but he could be problematic.

I keep wondering what the Wolves would do at 9 or later. Hartenstein is intriguing. I like Bridges but not sure how his game translates to the pros. Giles is pure projection with nothing else to go on. Williams is an old school center. Markkanen can't play defense. If Anunoby's rehab is going well and he at least can do a couple things before the draft I could see his stocks rising. I'm almost hoping the Wolves get the 8 position where at least they'll get someone like Isaac or Ntilikina. Moving up is too much to hope for.

Really good breakdown of the Bridges - Jackson matchup at the Michigan State - Kansas game.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...up-video-5830/

I think Bridges is a lot like Shabazz Muhammad with better fundamentals and a higher basketball IQ. That could be a good outcome. Bazzy has a much better wingspan though. I think he was over 7'0".

My dream for the Wolves franchise over the next few years is to have 5 guys in the 6'6" to 6'8" range that you can play interchangeably at the 2-4 spots offensively and defensively, You already have Wiggins, Bridges or Isaac could be a 2nd, a veteran like Tucker would make sense. You could make a case for us matching a reasonable offer for Bazz at this point. Take a chance on some young guys or 2nd rounders and maybe you find a 5th but Bjelly could serve that role for a while and Dunn's defensive ability also puts him in the mix as the other guy in that rotation as you could see him with the ability to play defense on 4's in a small lineup.
    Last edited by Cory; 03-20-2017 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tmirvin View Post
    Lastly, if for some reason the Wolves go on a winning streak and end up with a pick in the late lotto and miss out on all the guys above, I take a long look at OG Anunoby from Indiana. He seems like a 3&D type of player. The Wolves really need one of those guys too.
    I would take a long look at OG even if we pick in the top 10. I prefer him over Bridges, since he can likely play both forward positions (while Bridges might be stuck between positions). Perfect fit next to Wiggins.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Really good breakdown of the Bridges - Jackson matchup at the Michigan State - Kansas game.

I think Bridges is a lot like Shabazz Muhammad with better fundamentals and a higher basketball IQ. That could be a good outcome. Bazzy has a much better wingspan though. I think he was over 7'0".

My dream for the Wolves franchise over the next few years is to have 5 guys in the 6'6" to 6'8" range that you can play interchangeably at the 2-4 spots offensively and defensively, You already have Wiggins, Bridges or Isaac could be a 2nd, a veteran like Tucker would make sense. You could make a case for us matching a reasonable offer for Bazz at this point. Take a chance on some young guys or 2nd rounders and maybe you find a 5th but Bjelly could serve that role for a while and Dunn's defensive ability also puts him in the mix as the other guy in that rotation as you could see him with the ability to play defense on 4's in a small lineup.
    If Bridges is essentially replacing Bazz but with better defense that doesn't seem to move the needle much. Would rather have a guy who can legitimately guard 4's and not sure Bridges can do that. Also I'm not sure I buy his shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post

One thing I found interesting, during the game one of the announcers said they mentioned to Self that Jackson is very similar to Wiggins. The announcer said that Self said they are NOT similar players AT ALL. He didn't go on to describe why. Seeing how they are very comparable in size, length and athleticism, the only thing I can think of is that Wiggins was really passive while at Kansas, where Jackson seems a lot more intense. That step back 3 that Jackson hit (described in the link) looked like a carbon copy of Wiggins's. At Kansas and early in his NBA career, Wiggins seemed very timid. He's gotten a little more dog in him since and maybe that's due to gaining more confidence. Did anyone else hear the announcer mention this or have any insight as to what differences Self might have been referring to?

One thing I found interesting, during the game one of the announcers said they mentioned to Self that Jackson is very similar to Wiggins. The announcer said that Self said they are NOT similar players AT ALL. He didn't go on to describe why. Seeing how they are very comparable in size, length and athleticism, the only thing I can think of is that Wiggins was really passive while at Kansas, where Jackson seems a lot more intense. That step back 3 that Jackson hit (described in the link) looked like a carbon copy of Wiggins's. At Kansas and early in his NBA career, Wiggins seemed very timid. He's gotten a little more dog in him since and maybe that's due to gaining more confidence. Did anyone else hear the announcer mention this or have any insight as to what differences Self might have been referring to?
    I wasn't able to watch but I've always thought Jackson may be closer to MKG as a player with more hope that he will be a better offensive player when he peaks. Wiggins is/was a more refined offensive player but like you said, less aggressive.

He's really been the opposite of Wiggins. Jackson is a very good ballhandler with excellent court vision. He racks up assists, rebounds, steals and blocks, and is always engaged on the defensive end. Until more recently, scoring has been more of an afterthought to his game.

Jackson's FT% is worrisome, but its interesting that a guy who was often described as having a completely broken jumper actually now has his 3pt% up higher than Wiggins did in his freshman year.

Blog Entries
    I'm a little surprised Sindarius Thornwell (coolest name ever) isn't even projected to be drafted. A great tournament (conference or NCAA) is usually enough to at least sneak you in. Not saying it'll put him in the lottery, Johnny Flynn style, but I'm just a little surprised someone wouldn't throw a late #2 at him. Too bad for him he's not a freshman, or from Latvia.

It's reached the point that I am hoping for losses. There's a huge dropoff after the 9th pick. At the very least, I am hoping for Isaac. If he's gone and one of the Top 4 PGs are still in the board, it will be interesting to see what the Wolves will do.

Quote Originally Posted by jbowyer View Post
    It's reached the point that I am hoping for losses. There's a huge dropoff after the 9th pick. At the very least, I am hoping for Isaac. If he's gone and one of the Top 4 PGs are still in the board, it will be interesting to see what the Wolves will do.
    With the play of Rubio and Dunn showing a potential role going forward (in addtition to having Tyus), it would be interesting if the Wolves are sitting at 9 and a guy like Dennis Smith or DeAaron Fox drops. We wouldn't really need either, but they'd likely be the BPA assuming they fall because a guy like Isaac moved up. Malik Monk would also be in there too for that matter given how our depth is looking with Lavine and Wiggins both best as SGs. I suppose we just take a guy like Bridges.

I still think the Wolves will push hard to trade the pick. I read more rumblings out of Chicago that Jimmy Butler won't last the summer there. I know other teams like the Celtics can offer more absolute value, but those teams don't have a young productive player like Wiggins in their cache of assets.

Quote Originally Posted by dschroeder01 View Post
    With the play of Rubio and Dunn showing a potential role going forward (in addtition to having Tyus), it would be interesting if the Wolves are sitting at 9 and a guy like Dennis Smith or DeAaron Fox drops. We wouldn't really need either, but they'd likely be the BPA assuming they fall because a guy like Isaac moved up. Malik Monk would also be in there too for that matter given how our depth is looking with Lavine and Wiggins both best as SGs. I suppose we just take a guy like Bridges.

I still think the Wolves will push hard to trade the pick. I read more rumblings out of Chicago that Jimmy Butler won't last the summer there. I know other teams like the Celtics can offer more absolute value, but those teams don't have a young productive player like Wiggins in their cache of assets.
    The loss to the Kings gives me hope that we could sneak into the 6th-worst record, although we would likely need to win a coin toss or two to "earn" that slot. That would allow us a better chance to select Isaac. Bridges would be okay, but I fear that he'll be the wrong kind of tweener. For a team not needing a PG, the 7th and 8th picks will not likely net a lot of value. But since Chicago could use a long-term answer at PG, maybe that pick would be enticing enough to include in a trade for Butler. Would Wiggins plus that pick be enough, do you think?

The loss to the Kings gives me hope that we could sneak into the 6th-worst record, although we would likely need to win a coin toss or two to "earn" that slot. That would allow us a better chance to select Isaac. Bridges would be okay, but I fear that he'll be the wrong kind of tweener. For a team not needing a PG, the 7th and 8th picks will not likely net a lot of value. But since Chicago could use a long-term answer at PG, maybe that pick would be enticing enough to include in a trade for Butler. Would Wiggins plus that pick be enough, do you think?
    I'm with you all the way on that one. I think we have a solid shot to finish 6th. Once again we stole defeat from the jaws of victory, at least after looking so good in the 1st qtr tonight. We should lose several more the way we play. We don't have to tank. Just do what we've done most of the year. I like Isaac or I'd like to see us deal the pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    I'm with you all the way on that one. I think we have a solid shot to finish 6th. Once again we stole defeat from the jaws of victory, at least after looking so good in the 1st qtr tonight. We should lose several more the way we play. We don't have to tank. Just do what we've done most of the year. I like Isaac or I'd like to see us deal the pick.
    There's no reason to be playing Wiggins and Towns 40 minutes a game at this point. This is getting downright silly. Play them under 30 minutes. That's not tanking, that's just being smart. Maybe we'll win the Lakers game but the rest look like losses. Lets hope the Kings make it to 32 wins, and maybe we'll get really lucky and the Knicks can win two more (although I doubt that). Looks like the 7th or 8th worst record for us, probably not low enough for Isaac.
    Last edited by jbowyer; 04-02-2017 at 04:05 AM.

There's no reason to be playing Wiggins and Towns 40 minutes a game at this point. This is getting downright silly. Play them under 30 minutes. That's not tanking, that's just being smart. Maybe we'll win the Lakers game but the rest look like losses. Lets hope both the Kings make it to 32 wins, and maybe we'll get really lucky and the Knicks can win two more (although I doubt that). Looks like the 7th or 8th worst record for us, probably not low enough for Isaac.
    Playing Wigs and Kat 40 minutes is irresponsible and insane. I'd play them 30 minutes or so. Whatever they should have learned earlier this year can not possibly be expected to be learned in the final few games. Thibs needs to reevaluate his teaching methods because at least defensively he's been a failure. I think he's finally coming to realize his methods aren't working with this group. We'll see just how good he is if he can change his methods some to get in step with his players for next year. Lavine isn't the biggest defensive problem. Our bigs are.

Playing Wigs and Kat 40 minutes is irresponsible and insane. I'd play them 30 minutes or so. Whatever they should have learned earlier this year can not possibly be expected to be learned in the final few games. Thibs needs to reevaluate his teaching methods because at least defensively he's been a failure. I think he's finally coming to realize his methods aren't working with this group. We'll see just how good he is if he can change his methods some to get in step with his players for next year. Lavine isn't the biggest defensive problem. Our bigs are.
    I am not ready to call Thibs a failure. Should he change his system to pander to his players' lack of defensive acumen? Or should he stick to his guns? I trust that Thibs knows defense, and his stubbornness will pay off long-term.

I am not ready to call Thibs a failure. Should he change his system to pander to his players' lack of defensive acumen? Or should he stick to his guns? I trust that Thibs knows defense, and his stubbornness will pay off long-term.
    Maybe. Something is amiss though. His system might be right no doubt, but something else has to be amiss because our guys aren't, can't or are unwilling to carry out his instructions. Why is that? Don't say we're young because we no longer are experience wise.

Maybe. Something is amiss though. His system might be right no doubt, but something else has to be amiss because our guys aren't, can't or are unwilling to carry out his instructions. Why is that? Don't say we're young because we no longer are experience wise.
    Why is that? I don't think that's a hard one. Towns is still not great defensively. Wiggins too (which worries me long-term). Dieng is much better, but plays out of position mostly. And whoever is playing in the other wing spot is either meh defensively (Shabazz, Rush) or young (Dunn). It's part youth, and part the roster. We need another good defensive wing, which is why we really need Isaac. He's perfect for us.

Oops, double post.

Thread Information