Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    Trading down is likely but not for a lot more youth. I can see us trading down for a quality veteran player. Someone mentioned our #7 for Aminu and a late 1st or early 2nd. I like that idea if Isaac isn't availably.
    I think #7 in this draft is worth a lot more then Aminu after the year he had the last season. I liked Aminu a lot, but he regressed.
    I think we can "help" Lakers out and take Deng if they give us something nice in return. Deng is overpaid, but could flourish next to Towns and back with Thibs.
    “We want to make plays to win basketball games, not to answer any questions or respond to what people have to say about us,” James

Deng in a trade that would eat up some important cap space sounds like a terrible idea to me. In the Portland deal we are getting a younger vet plus a draft pick that could land us an effective youngster like Rabb.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

“Statistics are no substitute for judgment”
    Henry Clay

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    I think #7 in this draft is worth a lot more then Aminu after the year he had the last season. I liked Aminu a lot, but he regressed.
    I think we can "help" Lakers out and take Deng if they give us something nice in return. Deng is overpaid, but could flourish next to Towns and back with Thibs.
    That "something nice" better be the #2 pick...

Aminu was hurt most of last year, but he played much better as the year went on - and was very good in the Playoffs. Aminu plus the 15 (or even 20) would not be bad value at all.

Quote Originally Posted by StretchArmstrong View Post
    The issue is Marikkanen only does one thing at an NBA level, shoot a long ball.
    He may be a good player, but he has some large holes in his game.
    There is a reason his only hi lights are shooting 3's.
    And what are we most deprived of? Pure shooters that can hit the three when it matters. Zach can when he's on, same with Wiggins, but overall we're still a poor 3 point shooting team. If he could be elite at it, it would help us.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparlimb View Post
    And what are we most deprived of? Pure shooters that can hit the three when it matters. Zach can when he's on, same with Wiggins, but overall we're still a poor 3 point shooting team. If he could be elite at it, it would help us.
    Defense. Especially against bigger wings and bigs that can shoot from outside.

Jordan Schultz‏ Verified account
    @Schultz_Report
    Multiple teams have fallen in love w/Josh Jackson. Is perhaps highest upside player in this draft and has a legit shot to go first overall.
    Probably just hype and rumors...who knows. Lots of top end talent in this draft. Jackson is a better prospect than Wiggins was and he could conceivably fall to 4. I've read reports of some scouts think Fox is as good of a prospect as John Wall was. Not sure I believe all of that, but it is a draft that's deeper than most at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by dschroeder01 View Post
    Probably just hype and rumors...who knows. Lots of top end talent in this draft. Jackson is a better prospect than Wiggins was and he could conceivably fall to 4. I've read reports of some scouts think Fox is as good of a prospect as John Wall was. Not sure I believe all of that, but it is a draft that's deeper than most at the top.
    Yeah. I think we're in that phase where everyone falls in love with everyone, but things will (mostly) normalize on draft night.

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-draft...k-b220c78d9b5c

Just posting this here on Dennis Smith Jr. PG isn't a need at all, but in today's NBA, scoring guards are the thing and he could wind up being a nice player.

Milwaukee Bucks general manager John Hammond is leaving the organization to take the same role with the Orlando Magic.

The Magic announced Wednesday that Hammond -- who interviewed for the Orlando president of basketball operations job that went to Toronto Raptors executive Jeff Weltman -- will join the Magic's front office as Weltman's right-hand man.

Not happy about this. Isaac feels very much like a guy the Bucks would've drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    Milwaukee Bucks general manager John Hammond is leaving the organization to take the same role with the Orlando Magic.

The Magic announced Wednesday that Hammond -- who interviewed for the Orlando president of basketball operations job that went to Toronto Raptors executive Jeff Weltman -- will join the Magic's front office as Weltman's right-hand man.

Not happy about this. Isaac feels very much like a guy the Bucks would've drafted.
    We're effed!

Possibly. Whoever runs the Magic needs to give them the best chance of hitting a homerun with the pick they have. That could be Isaac, but given the needs of Orlando and the other available spots, you can make a good case that Tatum, Fox, or Monk would each give them a better shot of hitting a homer than Isaac who is more developmental but does have some incredible upside given his attributes. Tatum and Monk particularly are guys who may not fit on every roster, but for a team like Orlando that struggles offensively, they may view the potential of both and the ability to contribute early more favorably.

Quote Originally Posted by dschroeder01 View Post
    https://theringer.com/2017-nba-draft...k-b220c78d9b5c

Just posting this here on Dennis Smith Jr. PG isn't a need at all, but in today's NBA, scoring guards are the thing and he could wind up being a nice player.

I've always argued that scoring guards are the bomb. In this draft though Isaac is still the guy for all around fit but a scoring guard would be next on my list. That's why I love Jamal Murray last year.

My argument is and has always been that a single great defender will rarely have the winning team influence that a flat out scorer will. The scorer will always win because of the rules of the game.

As great as Kawhi Leonard is , his offensive game will always bring greater benefit to his team overall than his defensive abilities. A single defender can only do so much. Bill Russell and some others were rare exceptions to the rule. Bill could score a little too!

I share your concern. Time to fall in love with Malik Monk, I guess.

In all seriousness, though, he is the the assistant at least, and not the head guy, and Orlando is probably in a position where they will feel the need to pick someone with more obvious superstar potential; I love Isaac, but he's probably more in that elite role player category.

I've always argued that scoring guards are the bomb. In this draft though Isaac is still the guy for all around fit but a scoring guard would be next on my list. That's why I love Jamal Murray last year.
    FWIW, if you liked Murray last year, I think you have to like Monk this year. He's a very similar prospect. About the only thing I can see that Murray had the edge on was a small height advantage and some experience at the point. Monk is much more athletic and scores in many more ways while being a comparable shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McCann View Post
    I share your concern. Time to fall in love with Malik Monk, I guess.

In all seriousness, though, he is the the assistant at least, and not the head guy, and Orlando is probably in a position where they will feel the need to pick someone with more obvious superstar potential; I love Isaac, but he's probably more in that elite role player category.
    I'd rather take OG...

I'd rather take OG...
    I love much of OG but he's so challenged offensively. He's way too much a one dimensional player. If we trade down and Isaac is gone I'd go with OG and another big like Adebayo, Giles or Rabb. I really don't love any of them. OG has some D for sure but is lacking with the rest of his game. Best move yet is to trade it away for a starting vet.

Aminu and 15 for the 7th looks better and better.
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...

Anybody here listen to the Dunc'd On podcast? I'm a really big fan of this podcast, think the main two dudes (Nate Duncan and Danny Leroux) do excellent work and offer really great insights. They're in the process of completing scouting reports on all the top draft prospects, doing about one scouting report per episode. They started out with the three top wing prospects (Tatum, Isaac, Jackson) and then Fultz. They say that Fultz is worthy of the hype he's received so far, and ranked the wing guys in this order: Isaac, Tatum, Jackson. (Would be happy to provide brief recaps if people are so interested.)

In their most recent episode, they covered Dennis Smith Jr, who I haven't had too much interest in - but also admittedly I haven't done tons of research yet. But they're really high on him and say they think he's considerably better than any of the wing guys, has the best physical tools of any PG prospect since John Wall, and they believe his shot will eventually come around.

I wasn't expecting that, my impression so far is that Smith is towards the end of the top 8ish prospects. Interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by da_blueprint View Post
    Anybody here listen to the Dunc'd On podcast? I'm a really big fan of this podcast, think the main two dudes (Nate Duncan and Danny Leroux) do excellent work and offer really great insights. They're in the process of completing scouting reports on all the top draft prospects, doing about one scouting report per episode. They started out with the three top wing prospects (Tatum, Isaac, Jackson) and then Fultz. They say that Fultz is worthy of the hype he's received so far, and ranked the wing guys in this order: Isaac, Tatum, Jackson. (Would be happy to provide brief recaps if people are so interested.)

In their most recent episode, they covered Dennis Smith Jr, who I haven't had too much interest in - but also admittedly I haven't done tons of research yet. But they're really high on him and say they think he's considerably better than any of the wing guys, has the best physical tools of any PG prospect since John Wall, and they believe his shot will eventually come around.

I wasn't expecting that, my impression so far is that Smith is towards the end of the top 8ish prospects. Interesting stuff.
    I'm not sure about Smith. Great athlete, fast as hell, but he's small - and has an even shorter wingspan than Tyus. I see people compare him to Westbrook, but he doesn't have anywhere near the size and strength that is so vital to Russell's game.

He strikes me as a guy you may have to hide on defense throughout his career.

My argument is and has always been that a single great defender will rarely have the winning team influence that a flat out scorer will. The scorer will always win because of the rules of the game.

As great as Kawhi Leonard is , his offensive game will always bring greater benefit to his team overall than his defensive abilities. A single defender can only do so much. Bill Russell and some others were rare exceptions to the rule. Bill could score a little too!
    Ug. While I agree with you technically...that a great scorer can dominate more than a great defender....We have enough scorers. Well, let me rephrase that: we have enough primary scorers. We need defense.

Thread Information