Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Gophers get #5 seed.

No. 5 Minnesota will play No. 12 Middle Tennessee State on Thursday in Milwaukee. Time is TBD.

Shocked they got a 5 seed but it's not an easy 5 spot as Middle Tennessee is good. That said if you get by them I like the chances of getting to the Sweet 16.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

“Statistics are no substitute for judgment”
    Henry Clay

Opponent with an upset pedigree. I'm sure Pitino will mention that....

If MN was healthy I'd feel a lot more positive about the match up. But, without Springs and what he has contributed I am concerned they can get by the first round.

I picked two brackets, one with MN winning and one with them losing that first game.
    This is a step in the right direction though for the program to make it to the tournament after the last several pathetic years of play.

Robert

Groupthink in full effect. Middle Tennessee is a 1-point favorite. Yeah, they're a nice little mid-major. We're happy for you. But when your signature win is Vanderbilt ... come on.

I'm not saying they can't or won't win. But this silly groupthink making them into a favorite is ridiculous. They absolutely should not be a favorite. Again, that doesn't mean they can't win. One game, anything can happen. But the notion that Minnesota shouldn't be favored is absurd.

Matchups could be an issue for both teams because Lynch will need to guard a 6'8" forward who could get him in foul trouble. Problem they will have is their three starting perimeter players are under 6'2". How do they guard Coffey? They play some good zone defense but we should have some options throwing over the top. If Middle Tennessee gets us into foul trouble we could be in trouble. I just don't think they would be favored if people remembered the Syracuse game last year all anyone wants to remember is the upset of MSU. I hope the gophers use the bulletin board material.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Henry Clay

That zone is giving them fits. Has no one ever taught Coffey to throw a cross-court pass? He throws them like a sixth-grader. They go half way to the ceiling and just hang in the air for what seems like seconds. Oh, and they're all about 4 feet over his target's head as well.

Frankly, neither team looks very good so far.

They're just daring us to shoot 3s. I think all of our attempts have been wide-open. Need to pound this tiny team inside.

And Lynch's play is inexcusable. His first foul was iffy, but the next 2 were just stupid.

Hard game to watch. Worst I've seen them play all season by a comfortable margin. Hate that all the MTSU bandwagon hoppers were right....

And without Spirngs it was predictable. I figured this team to be a first round exit regardless of opponent. When I saw the opponent it appeared even more likely.
    The team is still young and will get better.
    Lynch played poorly the last several games getting into foul trouble. He will learn.

I know losing Springs hurt, but he really wasn't the level of player whose absence should cripple the entire operation. Mason was terrible and Lynch was just dumb, and I think Pitino got himself thoroughly outcoached.

Rebounding was poor to many second chance points given up. That said the reasons why we were here were the reasons we lost. Lynch and his stupidity in fouls and Masons terrible play. In the tourney your stars need to lead and you get strong performances by role players to take you over the top. Curry scored in double figures, Murphy was solid, Coffey had his moments but when your two key players struggle you lose. Credit MDST they played well enough to win.

Losing Springs hurt the guard depth he really hadn't played well for nearly a month. That said he was a threat you couldn't let get going. Big season by the Gophers but now they need another strong offseason.

Henry Clay

Apparently, Mason also had an injury he was trying to play through. Some kind of injury to his hip. That may explain his poor performance as well.
    As for Springs, he was a starter so losing him hurts the depth of the team and that was an advantage they had. Plus, he had a very strong outside shot that made it difficult to defend the Gophers.

Quote Originally Posted by StretchArmstrong View Post
    Apparently, Mason also had an injury he was trying to play through. Some kind of injury to his hip. That may explain his poor performance as well.
    As for Springs, he was a starter so losing him hurts the depth of the team and that was an advantage they had. Plus, he had a very strong outside shot that made it difficult to defend the Gophers.
    The gave us every wide-open 3pt shot we could ever want. You have to think Springs would've hit some of those.

They literally did not guard the 3pt line at all, and we couldn't make them pay.

Thread Information