Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Playoff Flop

Playoff Flop

Well, after a strong season they are going out quickly against St. Louis.
    This is what happens when you do not finish a season strong.

The announcing crew made a great comment the other night. 6 Wild players set career highs in points this season. How does a team play even better when it comes to the playoffs when they have already played as well as they ever have during the regular season? It's very difficult to do. We also hired a coach who is known for winning in the regular season just to lose in the playoffs.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

“Statistics are no substitute for judgment”
    Henry Clay

I hate to say it, but I sort of felt this coming. I was super pessimistic entering the playoffs, and I guess there's not much reason to change that.

Yeah and this is turning out really bad. They are not even in the game. They have lost 3 games. What the heck, did the team just shut down a month ago?

The issue is not defense or goal tending, it is scoring.

St. Louis is committed to just clogging up the middle and waiting for mistakes. Dubs has allowed a couple of soft goals too.

Wild have been outcoached, without a doubt. Yeo has to be enjoying this. He's humiliating the Wild with a much less talented roster.

Are we more talented? I am no hockey brain surgeon but all I hear is how the Wild have a bunch of good players with no real stars. The Blues probably have the best offensive player in this series in Tarasenko.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

“Statistics are no substitute for judgment”
    Henry Clay

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf on the Prowl View Post
    Are we more talented? I am no hockey brain surgeon but all I hear is how the Wild have a bunch of good players with no real stars. The Blues probably have the best offensive player in this series in Tarasenko.
    Yes. Jake Allen is the reason. He's been outstanding the last 2 months. Similar to what Dubnyk did when he was brought in.
    Publicity, fame and accolades can make a theory popular. They can't make it true.

Blog Entries
    So this Wild board appears to be dead. But I have to rant anyway.

The Wild are NOT built for playoff success - at all.

1) Their goalie can get on a hot streak once in a while, but when you get to the playoffs you can't have a guy that gives up a bad goal EVERY game. You need a guy that steals a game for you and Dubs rarely does that. He has a gigantic hole on his glove side and it is really exposed when you play a team several games in a row.

2) They don't have a superstar goal scorer. Yes Staal is having a great year. But he is more Toews than Kane. More Malkin than Crosby. He is a fantastic all around player, but we don't have that guy that takes over and scares the crap out of the other team. Nor do we have an alpha dog who leads us through his sheer strength of will. A guy like Messier, or Kessler. Our highest paid guys are Koivu and Parise. They are nice guys who play hard. But they aren't killers who "will" their team to victory. And now Koivu can't even win faceoffs anymore (and he starts his big contract extension NEXT year!!)

3) Most importantly, our defense is not built for playoff success. In the playoffs you need big, tough D men who don't let you get anywhere near the scoring areas. We have small, offensive minded guys (Dumba & Spurgeon), try-hard guys who are average NHLers at best (Prosser & Seeler) and powder puffs (Brodin & Olofsson). Suter is a very good player, but even he doesn't own the front of the net. And he's only one guy.

Teams that go far in the playoffs have huge D men that crush you if you try to get to the front of the net, and intimidate you to discourage you from even trying to get close. Last year's Blues series was a classic example of this. Allen played fine in net, but not nearly as well as the stats lead you to believe. They forced us wide and we kept taking shots from the top of the circle. Any competent goalie would have easily saved all of those shots. Playoffs are about dirty goals in front of the net and we never came close to that because the Blues D kept the front of the net clean and we settled for one terrible shot after another.

The Wild are really stuck too. They are buried under huge, long-term, no-trade contracts: Parise, Koivu, Dubnyk, even Suter. Fluky things happen in the NHL. Teams get hot and win the Cup from the 8th seed once in awhile. But baring something really crazy, I don't see the Wild competing for a cup (or even winning a series or two) any time soon.
    Last edited by ECA19; 03-19-2018 at 05:58 PM.

Well, this thread is a year old and still appropriate.

They are just absolutely soft and foul in the playoffs.
    That comes down to coaching and player mentality.

They will be swept soon.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StretchArmstrong View Post
    Well, this thread is a year old and still appropriate.

They are just absolutely soft and foul in the playoffs.
    That comes down to coaching and player mentality.

They will be swept soon.
    You're right that the thread is a year old, but my post was from a month ago. It applies to last and it applies equally to this year. This team has almost no chance of playoff success, for all the reasons I mention above, and so far through 3 games I stand by what I said.

People get excited about the nice saves Dubnyk makes. But that ignores the handful of times he makes the same game-changing mistakes every game. Yes we won last night, but he failed to hug the post - basic goalie 101 stuff - and the Jets scored the first goal (could have been a game wrecker right there). And the second goal was a clean look from the point that blew right by him. And he had one a couple minutes earlier that he bobbled and almost gave up. It's not about how great your great saves are if you give up softies in the playoffs.

Our offense was obviously great last night, but we still don't have our version of Laine. And too many of our big guys (Coyle, Nino...) disappear.

And our defense is still way too small to keep the scoring areas clean. Good players, but we lack size on the blue line. And the big guys lack experience (and maybe elite skill - tbd).

I'm a big Wild fan and hope we do well. But I think we need to at least retool, if not rebuild. Unfortunately that's pretty unlikely based on the number of bad contracts we are locked into. I think it's time for Chuck Fletcher to go.

Thread Information