Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Draft week!

So far I'm very happy with the draft. We got our Center Pat Elfein from Ohio St. I think he can start in short order. We traded our 86th to the Chiefs and moved down to 104th in the 3rd rnd. Not sure what we received in return.

And the Vikings trade out of the 3rd round with their second pick. Not sure that I think that is the best use of a second 3rd rounder. They got nothing for the trade essentially a 7th rounder which is basically useless.

As for the two picks, I like both of them. I thought about Elfein as a possibility to go after. Cook a first round talent. If his off-the-field issues are behind them it is a good pick.

Quote Originally Posted by StretchArmstrong View Post
    And the Vikings trade out of the 3rd round with their second pick. Not sure that I think that is the best use of a second 3rd rounder. They got nothing for the trade essentially a 7th rounder which is basically useless.

As for the two picks, I like both of them. I thought about Elfein as a possibility to go after. Cook a first round talent. If his off-the-field issues are behind them it is a good pick.
    Actually it was a good deal. We traded #104 in the 3rd for #109 overall early in the 4th plus the 7th rounder. We now have 3- 4th rnd picks #'s 109, 120, and #132. Zero 5th rnd picks. 1- 6th rnd pick #199. We now have 3- 7th rnd picks #219, 232, and 245 overall.

Lookin good!

Even without a first round pick, the Minnesota Vikings aced the 2017 NFL Draft
    Caleb Ikerd May 1, 2017 Draft, Minnesota Vikings, NFC, NFC North, NFL

For fans, when their team enters the NFL Draft without a first round pick, the draft feels like a waste. That selection on the first day of the draft is so important to fans, it feels like the team takes a step back when they are without that pick. The Minnesota Vikings were one of two teams in this situation in the 2017 NFL Draft, but they found a way to make it memorable and vastly improved the team in the process.

Heading into the draft, the Vikings had some very clear objectives. They needed to address the offensive line, the run game and the defensive front. General manager Rick Spielman spent his first three picks working on those very issues.

With the departure of Adrian Peterson, the Vikings desperately were in need of some major talent in the backfield. They signed Latavius Murray, but he does not bring the spark the offense needs. As the first round passed, the Vikings watched just two running backs find new homes. Knowing he needed to make a splash, Spielman decided to jump up seven spots and grab a true first-round talent in Dalvin Cook.

Minnesota found a way to get first-round value on the second day of the draft. Cook was touted as maybe the most talented back in the deepest class in history. His off-field issues became too much for teams to handle, so he entered a free fall. Because of that, the Vikings may have gotten the steal of the draft.

With Cook, they now have the lightning to Murray’s thunder. Murray will tote the ball to set the tone and punch it in for six, but Cook will come off the bench in Murray’s stead and bring an electricity the offense is sorely lacking.

The work did not stop with Cook. Spielman needed to provide the whole running game, and Sam Bradford, with an improved offensive line. To do that, Spielman made another trade, as he gave up both of Minnesota’s third-round selections to move up nine spots and grab maybe the best center in the draft.

Pat Elflein out of Ohio State is a proven commodity that has been well-coached throughout his young career. He will now transition into Mike Zimmer’s hard-nosed style, where he should fit in nicely. Elflein can play either center or guard, but it will better serve the Vikings to keep him at his natural position in the middle of the line. They can move Joe Berger to guard, where he has experience, and keep Elflein at center, which will really solidify a suddenly competent unit.

In a rare move, the Vikings may have found a Week 1 starter on the third day of the draft. It is no secret that Zimmer has built an elite defensive unit, but the defensive front is the one area of concern. Linval Joseph is the leader of the interior, but there are questions as to who will play alongside him. Shariff Floyd is an immensely talented player, but his future is left up in the air due to injuries. To ease some of those concerns, Spielman grabbed Iowa’s Jaleel Johnson in their best pick of the last day.

Johnson is a big, imposing presence that can plug up the running lanes. The Vikings need more bodies up front and Johnson should fit right in. If Floyd is unable to go, expect Johnson to seriously compete for major playing time by the start of the season.

These three men are the major highlights of the draft. They all have immediate starting potential and sky-high ceilings. But the rest of the men selected could find themselves in key roles in the near future, as well.

Because of the depth of this draft, Spielman opted for quantity. He traded seven different times to end up amassing a total of 11 picks in this draft. That helped the team really address major areas of need.

Players like Bucky Hodges at tight end, Ben Gedeon at middle linebacker, Rodney Adams at receiver/returner and even seventh-round selection Jack Tocho at corner can all carve out significant roles on the team.

Not every player chosen will become major factors, but Spielman has at least provided the team with a large number of rookies to come in and compete. That can elevate the rest of the team as no one wants to lose their starting spot, especially to a first-year player.

Fans had every right to be skeptical and cautious heading into this draft. Without a pick on the first day, the Vikings had a narrow-thin margin for error, but Spielman and the rest of the front office hit a home run this year. Minnesota needed to add depth and players that can help the team now, and that is exactly what they did. The offseason so far for the Vikings has been a big success and that provides fans, and the team, with major hope heading into one of the most intriguing seasons in team history.

http://www.endzonescore.com/vikings-...fl-draft/63356

That was a good read. That is the third article I have read about how good the draft was for us. Do you all agree? I don't follow college at all, so I am not really familiar with these players. Are you guys happy with the moves and picks?

And, the big question to me, can Cook keep his off field issues under control? We are pretty far removed from the Party Boat Vikings, and we have a lot of really good, right-minded players now. Can a more stable environment around Cook get him to stop acting like a little kid and doing stupid crap that he should have grown out of a decade ago?

I am happy with the draft overall. I would have taken Jake Butt in the 4th with one of those picks but he is similar to Kyle Rudolph so maybe they were looking for something different. I thought the Vikings did a good job of addressing needs with good talent. I think Lee could be starting this season or playing major snaps as a nickel linebacker and we got him in the 7th. I have no worries about Cook no more than I would have with most college kids as far as the player he is the perfect fit for this offense I just hope he stays healthy. The pick of Elflein is an interesting one I think he needs to be a center in the NFL. If he can do that we can move Berger to guard which might be a great fit. I was hoping to see the team draft a S but maybe Kearse has shown enough to be the primary backup.

All in all it was a solid draft.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

“Statistics are no substitute for judgment”
    Henry Clay

Really sad I missed out on all the pre-draft discussions with you guys.

I'm thrilled with this draft after what I thought was a solid free agency. I originally was not happy about trading up for Cook because I had bought so into his off-field character concerns and was pretty locked in on going interior OL and DT early and then getting Perine later. But I quickly started reading deeper into Cook and found that even though still some concerning things, a lot of other things reported were either not true, misreported, or over exaggerated. He sounds like a pretty solid kid, or maybe I just want to believe that now since he's a Viking. But mostly I was thrilled after still getting Eflein and Johnson with the next 2 picks, that makes getting Cook an exciting piece to add while still hitting on the biggest needs.

For years I've thought the Vikings would be so much better off with an all-around type of RB. AP of course was an amazing pure runner and I enjoyed his prime years but I also think his limitations in other areas, Vikings stubbornness to do nothing but make him the 100% focus of our offense, and the way they to babied him did more damage to the team than good. For a long time wished we had more of that Marshall Faulk type guy and have a balanced, unpredictable offense. Might finally have that with Cook.

Happy with the rest of the draft as well. Guess I like that they kept moving down and adding more picks, seems to have still hit decent upside and filling a lot of depth needs at each of those too. I saw a lot of reporting before the draft on the percentages of players working out and they really don't change much from round 4-7, so why not add as many guys as possible in those rounds when you have so much needed depth. Especially good when guys like Lee and Coley were both talked about as possibly going much earlier and a guy like Odenigbo looks like a possible raw guy to develop in the Hunter mold. Plus undrafted guys Collins and Bower look like solid pickups. Sure plenty of those guys won't work out as is always the case for all teams.

I'm always pretty overly optimistic after the draft but I'm even more so this year. I really see this as a much improved team right now.

I think it was unfortunate AP came to the Vikings when he did. We needed him badly but he came when we had a string of ordinary to bad coaches who lacked creativity in the offense. He also came during a stretch where we didn't have an established offense line or defense. Plus the last couple years we were lacking playmakers on the outside that could take advantage of play action passing.

With the new offensive coordinator and an offense that will throw the ball more to RBs Cook and Murray are ideal fits. Hopefully the line will be improved enough to be a more balanced and effective offense.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

“Statistics are no substitute for judgment”
    Henry Clay

Thread Information