Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Crazy trade idea: D'angelo & Luol Deng into our cap space?

Not sure that I even like this trade, but it's just fun to mess around with crazy ideas right now. If we strike out with big players in free agency (which I expect us to), how would people feel about taking Luol Deng's contract into our cap space? The enticement would be also getting D'angelo Russell. This would take probably two-thirds of our cap space: I'm expecting we'll have around $34mil in cap space this summer, and Deng is at just under $18m next year and Russell is $5.5m. I think we'd probably then look to also trade Rubio, so Russell and Dunn (who hypothetically skill-wise compliment each other decently, if they're actually talented enough) would be our starting backcourt to start the year.

Pros: Greatly increases amount of shooting on our team, fills our major gaping roster hole at SF / PF, increases our wing depth
    Cons: Holy crap our defense

PG: Russell / Tyus / Dunn
    SG: Dunn (until Lavine is healthy) / Lavine / Wiggins
    SF: Wiggins / Deng / Free Agent
    PF: Deng / Gorgui / Free Agent
    C: KAT / Gorgui / Cole

We obviously still have holes at SF and PF, but would still have $10ish mil in cap space to play with to sign a free agent and/or resign Shabazz, plus whatever Rubio is traded for (which I would expect would be a good player). **EDIT: Plus whoever we draft too, obviously!!**

Again, not saying I'm advocating for such a move. Just messing around with some stuff.

Thoughts?

I might do that if I were the Wolves, but I can't imagine the Lakers doing it.

You might be right, LA, especially considering Magic's recent posturing that they're looking to 2018 (and not this offseason) as the timing for their next big FA spending spree. I'm coming from the angle that if they draft Lonzo, Russell may become more expendable and they'll certainly have to attach something of value to get out of Deng's contract. But yes, Russell may swing too far in the other direction and be an overpay on the Lakers side.

So we would just give up 7 and take on cap space for Russell and Deng? I think we would have to send something back to L.A. also but you could possibly send Rubio somewhere that in turn sent another asset to LA. I do worry that Russell is best suited as a 2 guard in the NBA at this point even with the lines blurring more and more each year on what a 1 and 2 do that are different. Him being paired with Dunn is a much better compliment than Rubio and Dunn and makes sense if Lavine is our 6th man.

The two teams that I look at as potential Rubio destinations are Orlando and Detroit. I think both would view him as an upgrade and they could send something back to LA like Stanley Johnson or Hezonja. I wouldn't mind taking a shot a Johnson if he's made available though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    So we would just give up 7 and take on cap space for Russell and Deng?
    I was actually thinking that we just take Deng and Russell into cap space, so we give up, like, a token 2nd rounder or something. Definitely not something as valuable as our pick in this draft.

I think we would have to send something back to L.A. also but you could possibly send Rubio somewhere that in turn sent another asset to LA.
    If we were sending Rubio out too, then I'd expect more back in return as well. Rubio is worth more than the price of taking on Deng's contract, even with Russell included as an enticement.

I do worry that Russell is best suited as a 2 guard in the NBA at this point even with the lines blurring more and more each year on what a 1 and 2 do that are different. Him being paired with Dunn is a much better compliment than Rubio and Dunn and makes sense if Lavine is our 6th man.
    Yes, I have the exact same concerns about Russell as best suited being off ball, but we're of the exact same mind that Dunn, in that case, might compliment him really well.

The two teams that I look at as potential Rubio destinations are Orlando and Detroit. I think both would view him as an upgrade and they could send something back to LA like Stanley Johnson or Hezonja. I wouldn't mind taking a shot a Johnson if he's made available though.
    Hezonja is a bust, and that is NOT a word I throw around lightly. He sucks balls. I would definitely ask for Stan back from Detroit with a hypothetical Rubio trade, but they'd need to include more. Stan in intriguing, but he's still primarily untapped potential. Stan alone is not enough in return for Rubio.

So we would just give up 7 and take on cap space for Russell and Deng? I think we would have to send something back to L.A. also but you could possibly send Rubio somewhere that in turn sent another asset to LA. I do worry that Russell is best suited as a 2 guard in the NBA at this point even with the lines blurring more and more each year on what a 1 and 2 do that are different. Him being paired with Dunn is a much better compliment than Rubio and Dunn and makes sense if Lavine is our 6th man.

Ugh. I gotta say I don't like either of those options.

That said, I'm going to insert my "trading Rubio unless you massively upgrade point guard is idiotic" talking point into this thread.
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...

Quote Originally Posted by da_blueprint View Post
    I was actually thinking that we just take Deng and Russell into cap space, so we give up, like, a token 2nd rounder or something. Definitely not something as valuable as our pick in this draft.

If we were sending Rubio out too, then I'd expect more back in return as well. Rubio is worth more than the price of taking on Deng's contract, even with Russell included as an enticement.

Yes, I have the exact same concerns about Russell as best suited being off ball, but we're of the exact same mind that Dunn, in that case, might compliment him really well.

Hezonja is a bust, and that is NOT a word I throw around lightly. He sucks balls. I would definitely ask for Stan back from Detroit with a hypothetical Rubio trade, but they'd need to include more. Stan in intriguing, but he's still primarily untapped potential. Stan alone is not enough in return for Rubio.
    I think there's a 100% chance the Lakers hang up the phone if they are asked would they give up Russell to unload Deng's contract with nothing else in return. The Lakers aren't desperate to free cap space, they'll save it for George from all indications. They may have to do something next year in order to unload cap space as I don't think they have enough to sign George to a max contract but he may not care if they are close.

I agree that Hezonja and Johnson are not enough for Rubio at this point. Like you said, you could probably start with Johnson in a package but it would probably have to return a veteran PG or other area of need as well. You can actually make a nice 3 way trade where the Magic, Pistons, and Wolves are involved that would shuffle some pieces that may fit better in other spots (Hezonja, Rubio to the Pistons, Reggie Jackson to the Magic, Augustin or Payton and Johnson back to the Wolves or make a run at Aaron Gordon at the 4 with Jackson and Johnson both ending up in Orlando)

I think there's a 100% chance the Lakers hang up the phone if they are asked would they give up Russell to unload Deng's contract with nothing else in return. The Lakers aren't desperate to free cap space, they'll save it for George from all indications. They may have to do something next year in order to unload cap space as I don't think they have enough to sign George to a max contract but he may not care if they are close.
    Yeah, you're probably right. Maybe we'd have to send Tyus or Dunn back. And don't get me wrong, this thread isn't mean to be anything more than idle speculation and throwing some crap against the wall.

Understand. I do really like the idea of Dunn and Russell as a backcourt. Dunn could cause chaos defensively and Russell's offensive abilities would allow him to be an attacking playmaker.

I'm not sure if Russell and Ball pair together very well which is why I think it's an interesting conversation. Not so much because of the on-court stuff, but Russell appears to have an ego and I don't think he'll take to the idea of being the 2nd guard. I could be wrong there also but that's an outsiders take. And the Lakers could be in a pinch next summer if they are making a run at George where someone will have to take back salary. I just don't see this type of deal happening this summer.

So clearly the Wolves weren't interested in doing something like this, but just closing the loop on this thread, since it was clearly somewhat plausible, given that the Lakers just unloaded Mozgov's contract with Russel being the sweetener.

Also, it's not often that I get to toot my own horn :P

So clearly the Wolves weren't interested in doing something like this, but just closing the loop on this thread, since it was clearly somewhat plausible, given that the Lakers just unloaded Mozgov's contract with Russel being the sweetener.

Good call. All of this does make me wonder what Rubio's value is in the league?

Seemingly the Wolves could've given up Pek's contract and gotten Russell.
    Obviously bringing in Mozgov (or maybe Deng) at his salary was the confounding factor when thinking ahead to signing Townes/Wiggins?LaVigne (if one of the latter are not traded)

Still, If they traded Rubio to the Mavs I think I would have made that trade if I were the Wolves
    Ribs n Whisky make my mind feel tight.

Quote Originally Posted by echoes View Post
    Seemingly the Wolves could've given up Pek's contract and gotten Russell.
    Obviously bringing in Mozgov (or maybe Deng) at his salary was the confounding factor when thinking ahead to signing Townes/Wiggins?LaVigne (if one of the latter are not traded)
    Except Brook Lopez is a functioning NBA player. And a guy who will likely have some trade value around the deadline.

Pekovic would've just been a sunk contract for LA with no upside at all.

fair enough, but the move was for cap room more than anything. If they do trade Lopez at the deadline then they have to bring back all that salary they just cleared in the hopes of attracting LeBron, PG13, and whoever else they have their sights on.
    Ribs n Whisky make my mind feel tight.

Quote Originally Posted by echoes View Post
    fair enough, but the move was for cap room more than anything. If they do trade Lopez at the deadline then they have to bring back all that salary they just cleared in the hopes of attracting LeBron, PG13, and whoever else they have their sights on.
    Not if they trade him for draft picks or a different expiring player.

Thread Information