Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Garcia Trade

Garcia Trade

Well he didn't last long. I give the Twins credit though for quickly realizing that they need to be sellers, not buyers. They managed to flip Garcia for what looks like a nice return

Zack Little (RHP, 21 years old) 2017 combined A & AA stats
    14-1; 1.87 ERA; 109/23 K/BB in 115 innings.

I don't know anything about him but the stats, but man, they look good. His 2016 was good as well (13-6, 2.66 ERA).

They also got Dietrich Enns (LHP, 26 years old), who was 14-4 with a 2.73 ERA last year (2-1, 1.99 ERA in limited time this year).

They look like a pair of live arms, and they snagged them for virtually nothing. The prospect they sent to Atlanta seems significantly lesser to me than Little for sure, without even considering Enns.

From the Pioneer Press:

Littell is 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds with a career walk rate of just 2.0 batters per nine innings. Armed with a low-90s fastball and an above-average curveball, his strikeout rate has spiked to 10.64 per nine in seven starts since making the jump from Class A Tampa.

Also joining the Twins is Triple-A left-hander Dietrich Enns. A former 19th-round pick out of Central Michigan, the 26-year-old Enns is 1-1 with a 2.29 ERA in seven starts at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre after missing 2 1/2 months with a shoulder strain.

Atlanta must be ****ed!

Apparently they went after Littell quite hard and the Yankees wouldn't budge so they traded Garcia to us instead!

Ha! The Twins also picked up the tab on Garcia for the rest of the season. So the Twins basically just bought these two prospects for 4 million.

And Kintzler is gone too. To Washington for relief pitcher Tyler Watson.

This one is a bit puzzling. Watson is 24 and still in A ball. His 2017 totals in A ball are 0-1, 4.45, allowing opposing hitters a .293 average. This doesn't look like any kind of prospect at all. Doesn't look, to me, like a kid likely ever to sniff the majors. Pure salary dump? Was Kintzler really making that much?

Yeah, this is puzzling as it appeared the Twins were going to try and push for a playoff run.
    Then bingo, they sell out.

Who is going to be the closer ? Our bullpen is already really bad. I've seen way too many games this year lost due to not closing out.
    I guess we know what the off-season will need to be about. Improving pitching with a SP and reliable bull pen players.

The new front office said it last week. You can't just look at the record and say we are a contender you need to look at the team. This team is having a good year but it simply isn't a playoff quality team. Now that other teams like KC and Cleveland have figured themselves out we have no chance at keeping up. The rest of this season has to be deducted for next season and making sure who is part of this team long term. As stretch said get another solid veteran starter and load up the bullpen maybe then we will be a playoff team.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

“Statistics are no substitute for judgment”
    Henry Clay

I'm on board with being sellers. That's just realism. But the Kintzler trade still doesn't make sense to me. The return was just so paltry.

That is probably due to the blown saves Kintzler had.
    He was acquired to be a bull pen arm and not a closer.

The thing that does not make sense is they no longer have a closer. I cannot even think of a player in the system ready to take that role.

R

Quote Originally Posted by aceswired View Post
    I'm on board with being sellers. That's just realism. But the Kintzler trade still doesn't make sense to me. The return was just so paltry.

Quote Originally Posted by StretchArmstrong View Post
    That is probably due to the blown saves Kintzler had.
    He was acquired to be a bull pen arm and not a closer.

The thing that does not make sense is they no longer have a closer. I cannot even think of a player in the system ready to take that role.

R
    Yep. Kintzler isn't the answer.

I don't see anyone ready now either but sometimes you find these guys by accident as a former starter or mid relief guy that they convert.

No, he's not the answer. But he'd be handy to have right now, and it's not like they got anything of value back.

Littell is 4-0, 3.03 since the trade, in AA. 29/15 k/BB in 35.2 innings. So that's looking good.

I won't put too much stock in either of those reports. They're both from cheerleading sites, and the Twins one uses wins as its one and only statistic.

That being said, the early returns are looking good. I think we're a ways from talking about an ace here (remember, two teams in the last year have shipped him out, and neither was getting a premium player in return ... that's not very common for a budding ace). But we got him for cash and Garcia, who has been awful, so it's a roll of the dice that is almost no risk, especially for an organization in such desperate need of starting pitching prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by aceswired View Post
    I won't put too much stock in either of those reports. They're both from cheerleading sites, and the Twins one uses wins as its one and only statistic.

That being said, the early returns are looking good. I think we're a ways from talking about an ace here (remember, two teams in the last year have shipped him out, and neither was getting a premium player in return ... that's not very common for a budding ace). But we got him for cash and Garcia, who has been awful, so it's a roll of the dice that is almost no risk, especially for an organization in such desperate need of starting pitching prospects.
    I don't know but he sure looks good to me. Control is the key. Can he move it in and out, up down, change speeds and hit the corners? Can't wait to see him up here. Were overdue to get lucky.

Thread Information