Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Do We Believe Yet?

Last night's 10th-inning walk-off has me teetering on the brink of believing in this team. By "believing," I mean thinking that the might just make the playoffs and ... who knows in a one-game series?

I've honestly not believed all season. It seemed like a fun run that was bound to end. But we're on September 14, in possession of a playoff spot, and even with a tiny bit of cushion. Aside from Cleveland, the schedule doesn't look terrible.

At the risk of cursing this team, I'm really, really close to finally being convinced. And all this without Sano, to boot.

I am still not holding my breath. My fingers are crossed though it's been a heck of a year.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

“Statistics are no substitute for judgment”
    Henry Clay

Another day, another 10th inning walkoff. And the Angels lost as well. Three games up with 16 to go. If the Twins can finish just 8-8, the Angels will need to go 11-5 just to tie them (Mariners 11-4). Those are certainly possible outcomes. But it's a nice cushion.

I should just shut my damn mouth. They've been awful since the moment I posted that....

That was a "Gardyesque" performance against NY...

Quote Originally Posted by aceswired View Post
    I should just shut my damn mouth. They've been awful since the moment I posted that....
    What a difference one week makes and a sweep. Damn! Don't blame you for getting excited Aces but you know what it means to play in Yankee stadium.

At least the Angels have been stinking as well. Might be time to be more worried about Texas than LA.

As of today 9-23-17 Twins are up by 3.5 games with 8 to play. That's really a pretty big lead. Can we hang on?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    As of today 9-23-17 Twins are up by 3.5 games with 8 to play. That's really a pretty big lead. Can we hang on?
    It would be an epic meltdown not to make it.

Even if we only go 4-4 in their last 8 games, their record would be 84-78. Angels or Rangers would have to go 8-1 in their last 9 games to tie. KC would have to go 9-0. Seattle or Tampa couldn't tie the Twins.

The Twins down 3-2 going into the top of the 8th against Detroit tonight, put up 8 runs to take a 10-3 lead going into the bottom of the 8th.

I love to see teams that can come back and win late.

Magic number is 2. Would take a monumental choke at this point.

So ... on to New York? Can we EVER play anyone else in the playoffs?

Down to 1. Would be great to win tonight and win a series on the road against the Indians.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

“Statistics are no substitute for judgment”
    Henry Clay

Could it be? Yes! The Twins are in the playoffs! Amazing, after losing +100 last year. 1991? Who knows. The Yankees has owned us for years but you never know. I had a hunch they could be around 500 this year but 7 up with 4 to go just didn't seem possible. After losing that 4 game series to the Yankees just recently, it would have been easy to fold it up, but no.

I'm not expecting them to beat the Yankees but nothing would surprise me at this point. Go Twins! If only we had a little more pitching?

In a one-game playoff, the luck factor is big. Anything can happen. But then, it's Yankees Twins, so only one thing can happen....

Quote Originally Posted by aceswired View Post
    In a one-game playoff, the luck factor is big. Anything can happen. But then, it's Yankees Twins, so only one thing can happen....
    I love our odds in a one game series!

I was never more certain that they'd lose than after the top of the 1st inning. Three runs, just like that. Then stranding runners at 2nd and 3rd (with one out). I said it then. That's it. They'll lose now, because that's how it goes in the playoffs against the Yankees.

What a disappointing game. The pitching was just awful. Severino served up this game on a silver platter, and Santana sent it back.

I was finding myself in that 1st half an inning starting to lose my voice after the Dozier and Rosario homers. What a hell of a start. With that said, we missed a huge opportunity with runners on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out. Just getting 1 more run there would have been huge. Santana was awful.There really were no pitches that hit their spots. Curious as to if that ball call on Didi should have been a called strike 3 or not. Pretty surprised Molly stuck with Santana in the 2nd but unlike the yankees, we really don't have much to go with after that. Berrios is just like Severino where as he is young and this was his 1st huge moment in the majors. I like Santana but only has a #2. Twins Achilles heal all season once again was pitching. It's been that way for years and it might have cost the twins a few years ago when they just missed out on the playoffs and it hurt big time last night.Not sure what it's going to take to improve the pen.Some decent pieces for the future but you definitely need to get that 8th and 9th inning figured out.

Future is bright regardless. Sano should be back healthy, Polanco really turned it around as did Buxton. Rosario was amazing. At this point i hope we keep Dozier as he is still raking and is an important piece inside the locker room. If this team improves the pitching, we could see 90+ wins next year and hopefully hosting a playoff game

Curious to see what happens with Molly. I think Falvey and Levine wanted their guy last year but Pohlad blocked that. A lot of fans were not happy with his in game management but it's hard to say good bye when the twins just improved by 26 wins this year. Aaron Gleeman was on kfan this morning and he is not a big molitor fan but he said maybe a 2 year deal with a club option for a 3rd. I would be okay with that cause if things do go south, you can make a change

Thread Information