Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    I agree that coaching is amazing. I actually bet on Boston against Toronto without Irving. As you can see Irving plays important, but very limited role on that team. That team would be in the same position without Irving I believe.
    He's their leading scorer by quite a bit, 1st in usage by a lot and Stevens has him playing excellent defense.

Its hardly a "limited" role, let alone "very limited".

Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    He's their leading scorer by quite a bit, 1st in usage by a lot and Stevens has him playing excellent defense.

Its hardly a "limited" role, let alone "very limited".
    I think Boston's record is overblown by huge margins. Boston won an important game without Irving. You might be right, but I'm not sold on Irving.
    “We want to make plays to win basketball games, not to answer any questions or respond to what people have to say about us,” James

I agree that coaching is amazing. I actually bet on Boston against Toronto without Irving. As you can see Irving plays important, but very limited role on that team. That team would be in the same position without Irving I believe.
    We have a split decision. I think it's preposterous to think Boston would be anywhere near as good as they are without Kyrie Irving. He's the straw that stirs the drink and he will get you the key basket when you need it. If we could only trade Teague for Irving? I'm salivating but it will never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    We have a split decision. I think it's preposterous to think Boston would be anywhere near as good as they are without Kyrie Irving. He's the straw that stirs the drink and he will get you the key basket when you need it. If we could only trade Teague for Irving? I'm salivating but it will never happen.
    I think we are talking about different things. I think that Boston's record is a lot better then the quality of their team and it will not be sustainable. I think that from now on they will be playing around 50/50 ball. Which is still too great for such team. So I do not think that Boston is that good with or without Kyrie. And I think their record is an accident. A very fortunate one. Their offense sucks, but their defense is the best in the league. Since when Kyrie has become a plus defender? We have a sample size of 12 games vs 5-6 years? Will see. But I just think it is not sustainable. If Irving would be scoring 40 ppg with 15 assists, I'd think that he got unleashed. But what was stopping him from being a great defender in Cleveland? LeBron is the best defender in 3 positions and demands people to defend, so Irving could have showed us something by now. Irving so far has a lot worse numbers than the last year. Almost ll of his stats are down. PPG, 3pt% from 40% to 32%. Those are almost the worst numbers of his career.
    I might be wrong and we got the best defensive PG in Kyrie, but I'll reserve my judgement for now.
    “We want to make plays to win basketball games, not to answer any questions or respond to what people have to say about us,” James

IMO, there are probably 5 coaches that I would crawl through broken glass to have. Probably in order of preference below...

*Brad Stevens
    *Gregg Poppovich
    *Brett Brown
    *Steve Kerr
    *Erik Spoelstra

After that, it becomes style/substance/team chemistry mix/match fit thing.

Brad Stevens is probably the best coach *right now* in the NBA.
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...

Quote Originally Posted by The Country Club View Post
    IMO, there are probably 5 coaches that I would crawl through broken glass to have. Probably in order of preference below...

*Brad Stevens
    *Gregg Poppovich
    *Brett Brown
    *Steve Kerr
    *Erik Spoelstra

After that, it becomes style/substance/team chemistry mix/match fit thing.

Brad Stevens is probably the best coach *right now* in the NBA.
    Also doesn't hurt that he's nearly 30 years younger than Pop.

...Brad Stevens is probably the best coach *right now* in the NBA.
    No respect for Kerr and Lue? These guys actually won championship rings! [I can't keep my straight face any longer saying that about Lue...]
    Truth is not determined by how many believe it!

Absolute steal of a contract for Philly:

Shams Charania ✔@ShamsCharania
    Sources: 76ers forward Robert Covington plans to sign a four-year, $62 million contract renegotiation-and-extension on Friday.

Its actually an extension, so essentially a 5 year contract:

Derek Bodner ✔@DerekBodnerNBA
    Rough numbers for the Covington extension:
    2017-18: $16,698,103
    2018-19: $10,018,862
    2019-20: $10,820,371
    2020-21: $11,621,880
    2021-22: $12,423,389
    4:52 PM - Nov 15, 2017

Sources: 76ers forward Robert Covington plans to sign a four-year, $62 million contract renegotiation-and-extension on Friday.

Dieng contract used to be a steal too at some point. So will see, how it turns out.

Speaking of Philly, man, that's a fun team.

Embiid absolutely destroyed LA. 46 points, 15 rebounds, 7 assists, 7 blocks. Simmons with 18/9/10.

Interesting watching Ball and Simmons. Elite passers, but neither guy can shoot a lick. Yet Simmons is still a very effective and efficient scorer because he plays to his strengths while Ball just keeps chucking bad shot after bad shot.

Ball at 31/25/50 on the season and those numbers will drop after tonight's 1-9 (0-6 from 3) game...

Dieng contract used to be a steal too at some point. So will see, how it turns out.
    Not really...It was a decent value until it wasn't.

But Covington plays a way more valuable position than Dieng in the current NBA. 3&D guy that can play 2,3 and 4 is worth their weight in gold.

Covington basically got a 4/45M deal. He'd get double that on the open market.

Embiid absolutely destroyed LA. 46 points, 15 rebounds, 7 assists, 7 blocks. Simmons with 18/9/10.

Interesting watching Ball and Simmons. Elite passers, but neither guy can shoot a lick. Yet Simmons is still a very effective and efficient scorer because he plays to his strengths while Ball just keeps chucking bad shot after bad shot.

Ball at 31/25/50 on the season and those numbers will drop after tonight's 1-9 (0-6 from 3) game...
    There were a number of us that thought Embiid was clearly the best of the draft and if healthy would be a monster. You and I among them. Were just seeing what this kid can do. Great for the NBA.

Kuzma is so much fun to watch. My guy John Collins is killing it in limited minutes in Atlanta. Everybody overlooked those guys.

Simmons just needs to get another 100 games under his belt. Shooting may never be his forte but he is so skilled, a creative coach should be able to help him be a star. Get Simmons a shooting coach right now!

My god...he took a huge discount to stay there. Bless him.

Simmons is a much more mature and intelligent player than Ball. He was that way at LSU but didn't have any talent around him to elevate their games and was pretty much going it alone.

He's definitely more a "Magic-type" player that doesn't need to be *the* alpha scorer but can make a lot of guys look good out there.

Now we just need Embiid to stop dribbling into double teams and Philly will be set.

My god...he took a huge discount to stay there. Bless him.
    When you figure in his renegotiation bump from 1.5M to 16.7M for this year doesn't affect their cap situation in any way, its essentially a 4/45M contract.

When you figure in his renegotiation bump from 1.5M to 16.7M for this year doesn't affect their cap situation in any way, its essentially a 4/45M contract.
    For Philly, yes. It's like 4/45 going forward.

For Covington it's like 4/60 with the additional bonus of injury protection for the rest of this year (given that Philly didn't have to give him anything more than his $1.5M this year). Covington is hugely underrated (especially defensively) and would certainly get more than 4/60 as a FA this summer, but I also see that he's shooting quite a bit better than his career #s so far this year which should regress a bit. Still...he's really good and maybe just has the kind of game that shines even more when playing with good players. Philly was smart to save their space for this kind of move.

If Fultz can get healthy and show some of the talent he flashed in college they could be "next."

Quote Originally Posted by dschroeder01 View Post

For Covington it's like 4/60 with the additional bonus of injury protection for the rest of this year (given that Philly didn't have to give him anything more than his $1.5M this year). Covington is hugely underrated (especially defensively) and would certainly get more than 4/60 as a FA this summer, but I also see that he's shooting quite a bit better than his career #s so far this year which should regress a bit. Still...he's really good and maybe just has the kind of game that shines even more when playing with good players. Philly was smart to save their space for this kind of move.

If Fultz can get healthy and show some of the talent he flashed in college they could be "next."
    I really think his shooting was repressed last year because he was the only shooter on the team and was forced to take so many difficult 3pt shots that he longer has to.

I doubt he continues to shoot 50% on 7 attempts per game, But I wouldn't be shocked if he finishes the year close to 40% on similar volume.

He's such a valuable player. A 3&D guy that can play the 2, 3 or 4. He's a 20M+/year player on the open market.

Quote Originally Posted by dschroeder01 View Post

It's almost like his contract "bump" this year was a reward for past performance. He's improved his defense (which was already pretty good when he got here) each year.

He's probably my fav Sixer outside of Simmons.

Philly will also have max or near-max cap space this summer. If they want to resign JJ then he ties up a good deal of that money, but still. Dunc'd On Podcast today discussed briefly the idea of Philly offering Aaron Gordon a max contract, and if Magic didn't match, how versatile and fast the Philly lineup would be on D, while also remaining incredibly young. Wow, would that be fun.

I think Boston's record is overblown by huge margins. Boston won an important game without Irving. You might be right, but I'm not sold on Irving.
    And they just knocked off the Warriors - and totally shut down Curry and Klay.

Thread Information