Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45

Thread: Wolves @ Jazz

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    A solid counterpoint from a Canis poster:
    "But I’m not a fan of the offense running through Butler whenever he is on the court. Too often it devolves into a 2-man game, with 3 other players just watching. I don’t know how many times I saw Wiggins go to a spot on the 3 point line and not move for the duration of the play. I a huge believer in everyone needs to touch the ball. There is very little passing and off-ball movement at all, and not only is it ugly to watch, but easily defended. Also, if the offense were to run through one player, I would prefer it to run through KAT at the top of the key. Either way good win and on to the Spurs."
    I was being half sarcastic. In the second half our offense bogged down so much I saw Butler start the offense by lobbing the ball from behind the center 3 pt line to Wigs behind the 3 pt line near the corner!! How do you start an offense that way. BTW, after Wigs received that pass he was double teamed and had nowhere to go. I just shook my head.

    No wonder why Teague can't start an offense.

    I totally agree with the Canis poster. I hate it why we stand around. Thibs must think that's the way to go.


  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    17,333
    Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    Gobert's injury could ruin Utah's season.

    They're awful on both ends now.
    Might be the best thing for them in the long run. Have a crap season, get in the lotto, get a top flight scoring/shooting wing, reboot.

    I don't think Donovan Mitchell is the answer on that long term as a starter. Wasn't a good shooter in college although he can D really well. Probably a better combo guard/6th man than an undersized two.

    I watched the Sixers-Jazz game last week and Mitchell was missing wide, wide open looks. Even as a rookie, you gotta can them if given the opportunity.
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...


  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    17,333
    Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    Much needed win.

    Offense was pretty good. Defense showed some signs, but was more fortunate than good.

    Not thrilled that Thibs felt he needed to play all the starters at least 37 minutes. Utah's comeback was fueled in part by our whole team being gassed.
    Sounds like a familiar refrain to last season.
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...


  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,891
    Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    He was. Very. But Thibs is going to grind him to dust. He generally tends to wear down in the 2nd half of seasons and Thibs has him averaging a career high in minutes.

    I get that Dieng was out, by why 13 minutes for Bjelica? He was playing well again...
    Belly definitely needs more minutes. Anything less than 20 minutes per game is criminal. Our starters all played very heavy minutes again, with very little burn for the bench. I believe that this is unsustainable.


  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by The Country Club View Post
    Might be the best thing for them in the long run. Have a crap season, get in the lotto, get a top flight scoring/shooting wing, reboot.

    I don't think Donovan Mitchell is the answer on that long term as a starter. Wasn't a good shooter in college although he can D really well. Probably a better combo guard/6th man than an undersized two.

    I watched the Sixers-Jazz game last week and Mitchell was missing wide, wide open looks. Even as a rookie, you gotta can them if given the opportunity.
    Mitchell reminds me a ton of a young Eric Bledsoe.


  6. #26
    We led by double-digits the whole game - often closer to 20 than 10, yet we got this:

    Teague: 37
    Butler: 38
    Wiggins: 38
    Gibson: 39
    Towns: 41


  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    We led by double-digits the whole game - often closer to 20 than 10, yet we got this:

    Teague: 37
    Butler: 38
    Wiggins: 38
    Gibson: 39
    Towns: 41
    Utah got it down from something like 24 to 12 at times in the 4th. Usually that was due to careless turnovers, inept offensive sets, shot clock violations, and fouls. For whatever reason when certain shooters get hot we lack the ability to take away the opponents hot player. One would think we would make sure to take the hot guy away and let some other player beat you, if he could.

    We're winning these games just because we have superior talent not because of scheme but in spite of scheme. We could have one hell of a dominant team. Britt's article about Thibs coaching inflexibility reminded me of all the reasons I hated his coaching last year.


  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    We led by double-digits the whole game - often closer to 20 than 10, yet we got this:

    Teague: 37
    Butler: 38
    Wiggins: 38
    Gibson: 39
    Towns: 41
    This has to stop.

    Part of the minutes is that we have to cover up for poor play by forcing more minutes on our best players. Part of it is Thibs/Layden not adding the right bench players that Thibs then feels comfortable playing. Overall, it's just not good for our team long term.

    I get that Bjelica makes some stupid fouls, but it's fairly silly that we can't find more minutes for him given the way he's shooting. With G out, it's just ridiculous that he didn't play more.


  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    Utah got it down from something like 24 to 12 at times in the 4th. Usually that was due to careless turnovers, inept offensive sets, shot clock violations, and fouls. For whatever reason when certain shooters get hot we lack the ability to take away the opponents hot player. One would think we would make sure to take the hot guy away and let some other player beat you, if he could.

    We're winning these games just because we have superior talent not because of scheme but in spite of scheme. We could have one hell of a dominant team. Britt's article about Thibs coaching inflexibility reminded me of all the reasons I hated his coaching last year.
    My favorite this year is when we have to post up a wing player out by the 3 point line above the break to get him the ball because there's so little movement in the offense.


  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by dschroeder01 View Post
    This has to stop.

    Part of the minutes is that we have to cover up for poor play by forcing more minutes on our best players. Part of it is Thibs/Layden not adding the right bench players that Thibs then feels comfortable playing. Overall, it's just not good for our team long term.

    I get that Bjelica makes some stupid fouls, but it's fairly silly that we can't find more minutes for him given the way he's shooting. With G out, it's just ridiculous that he didn't play more.
    Bjelica has also been very good defensively. On par with Gibson for our bigs.


  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    Embarrassing 4th qtr. No ball movement or movement without the ball. No going to Towns in the post. I don't get it. I'm sure the players are doing what Thibs wants.
    4th quarter offensive numbers and team rankings (courtesy Canis):

    ORTG: 98.0 (27th)
    Net rating: -15.0 (30th)
    Assist Rating: 44.1 (26th)
    AST:TO: 0.73 (30th)


  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    4th quarter offensive numbers and team rankings (courtesy Canis):

    ORTG: 98.0 (27th)
    Net rating: -15.0 (30th)
    Assist Rating: 44.1 (26th)
    AST:TO: 0.73 (30th)
    This is one case where stats equal eye test.


  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    Bjelica has also been very good defensively. On par with Gibson for our bigs.
    Bjelica is not on par with Gibson. People get to the basket so easily on Bjelica. Just look at how often Bjelica is inbounding the ball after a score. Sometimes it is difficult to keep track of how often Bjelica gets beat and gives up an easy layup that he has no chance of blocking.
    The sun shines again in Golden State as the hungry Wolves remain poised for the night to come


  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by rackshaq View Post
    Bjelica is not on par with Gibson. People get to the basket so easily on Bjelica. Just look at how often Bjelica is inbounding the ball after a score. Sometimes it is difficult to keep track of how often Bjelica gets beat and gives up an easy layup that he has no chance of blocking.
    He's not a rim protector, but he has very quick hands and good instincts on the perimeter.


  15. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    17,333
    Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    Mitchell reminds me a ton of a young Eric Bledsoe.
    From a speed/burner, knack to try to score...yeah. I wouldn't want him starting at this point, especially next to Rubio.
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...


  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    He's not a rim protector, but he has very quick hands and good instincts on the perimeter.
    Agreed to some extent. I just don't think he is a very good defender as a PF. I think he is forced to handle post defense and rim protection duties when he plays PF and fails miserably doing so. He kinda gets exploited down there. At any rate, Belly is capable of playing better and he will need to play much better, much more consistently if we are to do well this year. You are going to get a chance to see Bjelica give whatever he has to give, let's just hope that when he gets that chance, he takes every minute seriously. When it comes to sports, the players aren't chess pieces that you just move around based on how you feel any given day, you need to plan ahead. If the goal is competing for a championship, then you need to be honest about the talent required to do that. Bjelica certainly deserves a chance, but if you are ultimately advocating for 25 mins per game for Bjelica, which it sounds like you are (or close to), then you have to realize that his defense needs to get a lot better. 25 mins per night is Andre Iguodala burn. You need to compare the minutes you want these players to play to the championship caliber teams and see if it passes the smell test. Bjelica still has a lot to prove if he wants to play 20-25 every game.
    The sun shines again in Golden State as the hungry Wolves remain poised for the night to come


  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by rackshaq View Post
    Agreed to some extent. I just don't think he is a very good defender as a PF. I think he is forced to handle post defense and rim protection duties when he plays PF and fails miserably doing so. He kinda gets exploited down there. At any rate, Belly is capable of playing better and he will need to play much better, much more consistently if we are to do well this year. You are going to get a chance to see Bjelica give whatever he has to give, let's just hope that when he gets that chance, he takes every minute seriously. When it comes to sports, the players aren't chess pieces that you just move around based on how you feel any given day, you need to plan ahead. If the goal is competing for a championship, then you need to be honest about the talent required to do that. Bjelica certainly deserves a chance, but if you are ultimately advocating for 25 mins per game for Bjelica, which it sounds like you are (or close to), then you have to realize that his defense needs to get a lot better. 25 mins per night is Andre Iguodala burn. You need to compare the minutes you want these players to play to the championship caliber teams and see if it passes the smell test. Bjelica still has a lot to prove if he wants to play 20-25 every game.
    We're not going anywhere burning out our starters.


  18. #38
    Big news! Jon Kraw...in the Athletic reports that Rubio asked for a trade which led to his move. That was news to me. Rubio was frustrated by his communications with the Thibs. Thibs knew he needed a PG that could make open shots and break defenses down. Sadly that wasn't Rubio.

    Jon K also talked about how Thibs wants the offense started through the wings where the PG provides spacing provided he can make shots. So far Teague has shot about 41% from the field and 42% from 3. Those numbers should get better as he gets more comfortable with the team.

    Rubio asking for a trade surprised me.


  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    Big news! Jon Kraw...in the Athletic reports that Rubio asked for a trade which led to his move. That was news to me. Rubio was frustrated by his communications with the Thibs. Thibs knew he needed a PG that could make open shots and break defenses down. Sadly that wasn't Rubio.

    Jon K also talked about how Thibs wants the offense started through the wings where the PG provides spacing provided he can make shots. So far Teague has shot about 41% from the field and 42% from 3. Those numbers should get better as he gets more comfortable with the team.

    Rubio asking for a trade surprised me.
    Not me. The guy has been dicked around for years. Every coach he's had has wanted to trade him, and then falls in love with him - until Thibs.


  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    Big news! Jon Kraw...in the Athletic reports that Rubio asked for a trade which led to his move. That was news to me. Rubio was frustrated by his communications with the Thibs. Thibs knew he needed a PG that could make open shots and break defenses down. Sadly that wasn't Rubio.

    Jon K also talked about how Thibs wants the offense started through the wings where the PG provides spacing provided he can make shots. So far Teague has shot about 41% from the field and 42% from 3. Those numbers should get better as he gets more comfortable with the team.

    Rubio asking for a trade surprised me.
    I saw that also and am kind of surprised that he wrote that like that. My understanding is that it was a "mutual agreed" upon kind of thing. Not that Rubio came out and said "I want to be traded".
    Honestly, if Rubio truly asked for a trade in that fashion and Jonny K was sitting on that info previously dont you think it'd have come up before?



 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •