Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

It's time to send some messages - first, benching Wiggins

I'm finishing up the replay of last night's game and this team is infuriating lazy and lacks energy and effort. I think a lot of that is coaching and how the message is delivered but a chunk of that is on the players as well.

The biggest culprits are Wiggins and Towns but I do think Towns brings enough on the offensive side of the ball and is a fundamentally great offensive player to warrant staying on the court.

Wiggins, however, frankly sucks right now and is clearly disengaged and not bringing it at a high enough level. On both sides of the ball.

Between shooting under 45% overall, shooting 31% on 3's (sub 30% in the last month), and not bringing hustle stats to the yard (under 4 boards/36 and under 2 assists/36), this is a player that neither warranted a max deal nor is playing to the level of someone who just got one.

If Thibs has a sack, he moves him to the pine now and starts Crawford or Tyus with Teague and that MGH gets some burn as well as part of that rotation. This doesn't mean that Wiggins won't play at all (he'll have to given we have no bench) but I would drastically cut his minutes until he gets the hint that he needs to play harder, with more fire, and more efficiency. A lot of this is Thibs' own schemes but it doesn't change the fundamental stupidity that a 4th year "star" is showing on the court more often than not. If it means we lose a couple of games because of our depleted bench having to play more, so be it. At least Tyus, Crawford, MGH despite their warts play hard.

It's time to stop f**king around and start sending hints that effort has to improve.
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...

I'm not sure I'd go that extreme but the point is well taken.

One thing I like about Pop's coaching is the times I saw Duncan giving less than what Pop though he should, Pop pulled him over right away and sat him down.

There were other times when Pop wasn't happy with the starters 3 minutes into a game and he yanked them all! Not for long, but he got the message across. Thibs could easily do this but he doesn't.

You have to believe Thibs is hearing the public criticism and now the question is will he do anything about it.

For 2.5 qtrs the ball movement was really good for the most part. Then from mid 3rd we try to sit on a lead. I hate that. Just continue to play the way you got there.
    Last edited by Nick K; 12-07-2017 at 03:46 PM.

When I read about how "lazy" the players are playing, I keep thinking about the link to the article showing that we are playing our starters more than 30% more than any other starting rotation. Are they lazy or are they tired for having to play basically 4 games for every 3 other players are playing?

1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Styles View Post
    When I read about how "lazy" the players are playing, I keep thinking about the link to the article showing that we are playing our starters more than 30% more than any other starting rotation. Are they lazy or are they tired for having to play basically 4 games for every 3 other players are playing?
    Minutes are an issue but the same "issues" with Wiggins and Towns were there last year too.

I predict we will win 9 of the next 11 games. I think the "truths" are starting to emerge and I can see us turning the corner towards easier wins against the teams we should beat
    The sun shines again in Golden State as the hungry Wolves remain poised for the night to come

Quote Originally Posted by rackshaq View Post
    I predict we will win 9 of the next 11 games. I think the "truths" are starting to emerge and I can see us turning the corner towards easier wins against the teams we should beat
    I love the optimism but we have beat teams recently who have been short key players.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    I love the optimism but we have beat teams recently who have been short key players.
    Yeah, but we also haven't been playing as well as I think we are capable of playing. We're just grinding them out right now, which is fine, but at some point the hard work everyone is putting in will start to pay off.
    The sun shines again in Golden State as the hungry Wolves remain poised for the night to come

Wiggins was 3/12 against Dallas with a whopping 3 boards, 1 assist, and 3 turnovers in nearly 36 minutes.

I think the minutes grind may be a factor but the hustle stats certainly aren't improving one damn bit.

Quote Originally Posted by The Country Club View Post
    Wiggins was 3/12 against Dallas with a whopping 3 boards, 1 assist, and 3 turnovers in nearly 36 minutes.

I think the minutes grind may be a factor but the hustle stats certainly aren't improving one damn bit.
    His defense appears better, but all his non-scoring numbers are basically the same. Negligible up or downticks in rebounds, assists, blocks and steals.

The offense is concerning. He’s matching his career low (44%) from the field, and is only shooting 31% from 3. And a career low FT rate. Is he a guy that just needs to shoot a whole lot to get into a rhythm? Almost like volume is more important than quality of shots for him?

Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    His defense appears better, but all his non-scoring numbers are basically the same. Negligible up or downticks in rebounds, assists, blocks and steals.

The offense is concerning. Hes matching his career low (44%) from the field, and is only shooting 31% from 3. And a career low FT rate. Is he a guy that just needs to shoot a whole lot to get into a rhythm? Almost like volume is more important than quality of shots for him?
    This is the thing that an organziation should know before comitting max money to him. Granted...I think we were a bit handcuffed....but one thing Jeff Van Gundy said in his last interview with the Lowe Post was that an organization "cant miss" on their own free agents. He said that they "know their players better than anyone so they had better be right when they resign them or let them go".

Jury out. Gun to my head I think Andrew will be ok but I am a bit concerned about him being a volume scorer.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsxman View Post

Jury out. Gun to my head I think Andrew will be ok but I am a bit concerned about him being a volume scorer.
    I think he can be a useful player, but 10,000(!) minutes in and I really doubt he's ever a star - or close to being worth his contract.

Thread Information