Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    He's the most apparent bust in the draft since Thabeet. His best position will be a small ball 4 but he's soft and doesn't rebound enough or play defense. There's no quicker way to get out of the league then to come in with an inflated ego, show you are nowhere near the player you talk about, and alienate an entire locker room. I bet he seeks a minimum contract after 5 years if he's healthy.
    I'm definitely not a draft expert (I just consume a ton of analysis, and don't want college ball on my own). But I feel like the wrap on Porter is that he really is that talented, there are just significant and justified concerns about his health and attitude. Most apparent bust since Thabeet is quite the take! But I do appreciate the insight!

I have been Thibbed! After last season this organization and its fans have me disgruntled and frankly I have little hope for it. At the best we are the clippers we will make the playoffs but we have no chance to advance beyond the second round. The draft is Thursday and I can honestly say I like a lot of options in this draft but I have no hope of any of them helping this team as long as Dictator Thibs is in control. This team needs to look at adding wing depth in the draft. IMO we need to look for a D&3 player. I keep reading the posts here and it’s all about shooting well we need that but adding a shooter with no defensive ability at all won’t make this team better. We need balanced players who can defend and shoot. My favorite for the time being has become Thomas. He isn’t a wing player he is a guard and can’t play SF most nights but he can be a solid OG who can shoot and defend plus he maybe can see some backup minutes at PG if needed. He can play with both Wiggins and Butler and would be a perfect fit. I like many others but I just don’t see a chance for them to do anything positive as long as Thibs is here.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

“Statistics are no substitute for judgment”
    Henry Clay

Quote Originally Posted by da_blueprint View Post
    I'm definitely not a draft expert (I just consume a ton of analysis, and don't want college ball on my own). But I feel like the wrap on Porter is that he really is that talented, there are just significant and justified concerns about his health and attitude. Most apparent bust since Thabeet is quite the take! But I do appreciate the insight!
    He may not be a bust if he settled into a role as a playmaking/stretch 4 that uses his athleticism but even that role is going to be tougher in the NBA than it ever was for him before. But that's not who he thinks he is. And he's going to do his damndest to show he's KD even though he really does not have handles, passing ability, or a consistent outside shot. He's going to be a bust because of his ego firstly, injuries secondly, lack of true NBA athleticism and talent thirdly. He has talent but he's the picture of every kid you hear that has been told they are the greatest their entire lives and he's not. I think he's also old for his class so the numbers he put in high school were against younger kids his entire life. Bazzy was this guy. Porter was always considered a talent but that was strictly looking at his size/skill combo and not including his age being a year older than everyone and being able to abuse lesser and younger competition due to his tremendous gifts. Those advantages are gone in the NBA and I think he would have been exposed in college had he been healthy.

I read a really interesting study that said kids who were held back for athletic purposes were so stunted academically and socially because they were never challenged academically and when forming relationships with younger people rather than striving to catch up to their own classmates in both areas that it was a really bad sign for their future. Never do this! Put your kids in school early if you can.
    Last edited by Cory; 06-20-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Michael Porter may develop in Philly, perhaps in Dallas. They're both organizations that have a strong enough culture around them that he's going to be put in line quickly. I don't think Brett Brown or Rick Carlisle would put up with any of Porter's sh** for a second and the players in both organizations (even Dallas despite their youth) will tell Porter to pound sand if he came in with "disease of me"

As for the other organizations on the draft board, Cleveland perhaps but LBJ will eat him alive. Everyone else in the top 15 is a varying shade of a hot mess.
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...

He may not be a bust if he settled into a role as a playmaking/stretch 4 that uses his athleticism but even that role is going to be tougher in the NBA than it ever was for him before. But that's not who he thinks he is. And he's going to do his damndest to show he's KD even though he really does not have handles, passing ability, or a consistent outside shot. He's going to be a bust because of his ego firstly, injuries secondly, lack of true NBA athleticism and talent thirdly. He has talent but he's the picture of every kid you hear that has been told they are the greatest their entire lives and he's not. I think he's also old for his class so the numbers he put in high school were against younger kids his entire life. Bazzy was this guy. Porter was always considered a talent but that was strictly looking at his size/skill combo and not including his age being a year older than everyone and being able to abuse lesser and younger competition due to his tremendous gifts. Those advantages are gone in the NBA and I think he would have been exposed in college had he been healthy.

I read a really interesting study that said kids who were held back for athletic purposes were so stunted academically and socially because they were never challenged academically and when forming relationships with younger people rather than striving to catch up to their own classmates in both areas that it was a really bad sign for their future. Never do this! Put your kids in school early if you can.
    All really great points, Cory, thanks again for the insight. All that I know of Porter is that if he's healthy, he does have a chance of becoming a legit 1A scoring option. Even within that designation, to say someone can end up the type of 1A scoring option on the scale of success like KD or Giannis is hyperbole. But JJJ, Bamba, Carter, both Bridges, et al - there's no way those dudes project to be 1A scoring option types; that's just not what those players are about. So I can see the appeal of Porter and betting big on a high-risk/high-reward opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf on the Prowl View Post
    I have been Thibbed! After last season this organization and its fans have me disgruntled and frankly I have little hope for it. At the best we are the clippers we will make the playoffs but we have no chance to advance beyond the second round. The draft is Thursday and I can honestly say I like a lot of options in this draft but I have no hope of any of them helping this team as long as Dictator Thibs is in control. This team needs to look at adding wing depth in the draft. IMO we need to look for a D&3 player. I keep reading the posts here and it’s all about shooting well we need that but adding a shooter with no defensive ability at all won’t make this team better. We need balanced players who can defend and shoot. My favorite for the time being has become Thomas. He isn’t a wing player he is a guard and can’t play SF most nights but he can be a solid OG who can shoot and defend plus he maybe can see some backup minutes at PG if needed. He can play with both Wiggins and Butler and would be a perfect fit. I like many others but I just don’t see a chance for them to do anything positive as long as Thibs is here.
    Sad that many probably agree with you.
    Publicity, fame and accolades can make a theory popular. They can't make it true.

I try to be more positive than most but I can’t. This team’s direction isn’t being managed well at all. The goal should be to win but the chance to win a title is 2 or 3 years from now but I keep getting the feeling that the team will peak in the next year or two and instead of contending when we should we will already be rebuilding.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Henry Clay

I try to be more positive than most but I can’t. This team’s direction isn’t being managed well at all. The goal should be to win but the chance to win a title is 2 or 3 years from now but I keep getting the feeling that the team will peak in the next year or two and instead of contending when we should we will already be rebuilding.
    Yea. The anger on the board last year after things were wrapped up hit on this exactly. We went all in on a team that doesn't have a very high ceiling and looks to have a really short window unless Wiggins turns into something he has never been.

Wiggins has issues but those can be managed by the right people. Everyone likes to blame Wiggins but what will hold this team back is KAT and Butler.

Henry Clay

Wiggins has issues but those can be managed by the right people. Everyone likes to blame Wiggins but what will hold this team back is KAT and Butler.
    What is that based on?

Right now, all three of those dudes are holding us back in one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by da_blueprint View Post
    Right now, all three of those dudes are holding us back in one way or another.
    Right!! Now add in the coach who is the biggest problem of all and that makes 4.

It's far more than Wiggins.

Levine history of the NBA has shown you can do many different things to win with different players. Wiggins maybe needs to be used less. Brought off the bench and play not with Butler but in his place. We have seen plenty of wings with a variety of skills and or lacking skills still play on winning teams. You have to find a coach that can actually find the best use of that ability. As far as KAT goes we will never win a title if he is our rim protector not without a significant increase in his defense. We will never win a title with Butler as our top player or the player that stops the ball in the 4th quarter. They all have issues and they all are a problem which probably amplifies the problems of the other. Thibs is the biggest issue because he has no chance to fix any of it.

Henry Clay

Levine history of the NBA has shown you can do many different things to win with different players. Wiggins maybe needs to be used less. Brought off the bench and play not with Butler but in his place. We have seen plenty of wings with a variety of skills and or lacking skills still play on winning teams. You have to find a coach that can actually find the best use of that ability. As far as KAT goes we will never win a title if he is our rim protector not without a significant increase in his defense. We will never win a title with Butler as our top player or the player that stops the ball in the 4th quarter. They all have issues and they all are a problem which probably amplifies the problems of the other. Thibs is the biggest issue because he has no chance to fix any of it.
    How many of those poor players were making 25% of the salary cap?

Its literally franchise crippling.

Okogie is a 6’4 sophomore wing with a 7-foot wingspan who will make his name playing high motor defense. He’s also capable as a catch-and-shoot guy on offense, drilling 38 percent of his threes each of his two years in college and hitting 82 percent of his free throws this past season.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/6/...ings-grizzlies

And we got him. Love the pick.
    Publicity, fame and accolades can make a theory popular. They can't make it true.

I'm not a fan of Michael Porter at all but man did he go to the best spot he could have went. Multiple guards that handle the ball and a playmaking center. If he checks his ego and if he's healthy, this is his best chance to succeed. They should be able to mask his weaknesses. The defense will be brutal but they'll be fun to watch.

And if we lose game 82, imagine Michael Porter on this team and see if it changes your mind on making the playoffs. Probably not as he'd likely hurt his back in summer league and never play a minute but we missed out on a significant shot at someone. I don't like his fit but someone was going to fall to 14.

https://twitter.com/Cup_of_JoeD/stat...96733696?ts=19

Okogie compared to Donovon Mitchell.

I'm not a fan of Michael Porter at all but man did he go to the best spot he could have went. Multiple guards that handle the ball and a playmaking center. If he checks his ego and if he's healthy, this is his best chance to succeed. They should be able to mask his weaknesses. The defense will be brutal but they'll be fun to watch.

And if we lose game 82, imagine Michael Porter on this team and see if it changes your mind on making the playoffs. Probably not as he'd likely hurt his back in summer league and never play a minute but we missed out on a significant shot at someone. I don't like his fit but someone was going to fall to 14.
    Porter certainly has boom or bust potential. If he's healthy and can check his ego, Denver could be sitting pretty.

Thread Information