Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Z0r View Post
    Not disagreeing, but am I allowed to not be mad?
    Oh no. Please be my guest. Sorry, this team drives me nuts thinking what we could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf w/s View Post
    This will be remembered as the game that the Wolves had the best chance to win. The Rockets were missing 3s, Wiggins brought the effort, and Teague played like the 2nd best Timberwolf on the court some of the time...

Close 'til the end, but there was still never any doubt about the outcome, was there?
    +100

FB_IMG_1523892611250.jpg

Taj Gibson posted this to his Instagram. He's really not afraid to call Thibs out, I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    cc - https://twitter.com/jphanned/status/...23276201811968

Wolves Game 1 usage:

Rose 30.8%
    Dieng 28.6%
    Teague 26.4%
    Wiggins 25.7%
    Crawford 22.2%
    Butler 15.6% <---
    Towns 14.2% <---
    I hate Thibs.

quote:

Minnesota Timberwolves coach Tom Thibodeau called for All-Star center Karl-Anthony Towns to play with more energy after Towns was an offensive afterthought in his playoff debut.

Towns scored eight points on 3-of-9 shooting in the Timberwolves’ 104-101 loss to the Houston Rockets in Sunday’s Game 1. Thibodeau noted that the Rockets’ strategy of switching and double-teaming Towns was effective, but he put much of the onus for the off night on the 22-year-old big man’s shoulders.

"He’s got to be more active," Thibodeau said.

"You run the floor," Thibodeau said. "Kick the ball out, repost, keep moving around, search it out, get to the offensive board. You’ve got to sprint around. You learn when teams are double-teaming you — that’s what you have to do. You have to make the right play. You also have to get to positions in which it’s difficult for them to double-team you. Transition’s a big part of that. You’ve got to run the floor."
    I swear he's not watching the same game anyone else is. And his whole "playing harder is the answer to everything" schtick is beyond old.

When KAT has Eric Gordon sealed in the post and Jamal Crawford is bricking midrange jumpers, what more does KAT need to do?

cc - https://twitter.com/jphanned/status/...23276201811968

Wolves Game 1 usage:

Rose 30.8%
    Dieng 28.6%
    Teague 26.4%
    Wiggins 25.7%
    Crawford 22.2%
    Butler 15.6% <---
    Towns 14.2% <---
    But when you look at touches in that last game this is how it comes out:

KAT: 72
    Teague: 62
    Wiggins: 40
    Rose: 40
    Butler: 40
    Taj: 38
    Crawford: 29
    Dieng:13
    Jones: 13
    Bjelica: 7

They were getting the ball to KAT; Capella was just dominating him, and they often doubled him up quickly and forced him to get rid of the ball. Usage rates can be a function of defense forcing the ball to go where they want it to (e.g. double up KAT, force the ball out, and end up with Rose taking a shot or turning it over).

1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by boognish View Post
    But when you look at touches in that last game this is how it comes out:

KAT: 72
    Teague: 62
    Wiggins: 40
    Rose: 40
    Butler: 40
    Taj: 38
    Crawford: 29
    Dieng:13
    Jones: 13
    Bjelica: 7

They were getting the ball to KAT; Capella was just dominating him, and they often doubled him up quickly and forced him to get rid of the ball. Usage rates can be a function of defense forcing the ball to go where they want it to (e.g. double up KAT, force the ball out, and end up with Rose taking a shot or turning it over).
    How are touches classified? KAT touches the ball at the top of the key on many, many possessions only to immediately to pass it off. IMO, it's useless, but they've been doing it all year.

KAT played awful yesterday, but our offense does him no favors. It hasn't all year.

Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    I hate Thibs.

I swear he's not watching the same game anyone else is. And his whole "playing harder is the answer to everything" schtick is beyond old.

When KAT has Eric Gordon sealed in the post and Jamal Crawford is bricking midrange jumpers, what more does KAT need to do?
    You're watching a different game. KAT came out weak. Capela outplayed him and they aren't even on the same tier. KAT should have been our advantage, but he wasn't aggressive on either end. Going to him on mismatches should be a given, not something players really need a coach to tell them, but I didn't see that happening as much as Weber was saying it was happening and when you don't show initiative through 3 quarters, it doesnt inspire a lot of confidence in your teammates to go to you. We also don't know how well Kat was sealing out, whether he was being fronted, or what. Honestly, I didn't get a good look at any of those mismatches. Weber just kept saying it was happening, but I trust nothing of what Weber says. He's willing to make up stuff to prove he is right. Never could stand that dude.

Everyone that watched the game believes KAT didn't bring a playoff level of intensity, Thibs is pretty much saying the same thing. It's true
    The sun shines again in Golden State as the hungry Wolves remain poised for the night to come

What a frustrating game. We had a shot with their poor shooting and some mistakes, but we couldn't execute. That may have been our best chance to avoid a sweep?

Harden is the least enjoyable superstar to watch. All the foul drawing (mostly legit, but some really lame) is great analytically, but isn't fun to watch. The play where Harden went into the backcourt after minimal contact from Butler was just completely lame. Jimmy had his arm on him and with a tiny nudge, Harden "falls" into the backcourt forcing the ref to make a call. It should have just been over and back if the refs had a spine. Paul is in that same vein, always has been. We blew our chance as I doubt Paul plays so poorly going forward.

Rose was hitting some shots yesterday and since most see baskets as equalling good play, he's cementing the inevitable decision to sign him for next year. It doesn't matter that having him doesn't fill a single need and it doesn't address that him being out there is only going to further push shots to inefficient players. Might as well trade Tyus this offseason. Maybe we could get a first?

Our offense has been good this year based on talent. So not fun to watch though. We play slow and selfish. There's no sense of sharing the ball. The Rockets make a point to set up guys for 3s. We make it point to freeze out our one good 3pt shooter, Bjelica. Could someone drive and kick it to him just once in a while?

Quote Originally Posted by dschroeder01 View Post
    How are touches classified? KAT touches the ball at the top of the key on many, many possessions only to immediately to pass it off. IMO, it's useless, but they've been doing it all year.

KAT played awful yesterday, but our offense does him no favors. It hasn't all year.
    His time of possession per touch was certainly lower than many on the team, some of it because of his position, some of it because of tough defense on him, and some of it due to play schemes on the floor. I was just trying to point out that stats in a vacuum are not particularly relevant. Looking at Usage rates and coming to the conclusion that they show that Thibs wasn't getting the ball to KAT is not a good way to look at it. Usage just shows how many possessions each player ends, period. By itself, that stat doesn't really answer much. Combined with touches and time of possession, you start to get a better feel for things but they still aren't complete evaluation tools.

I agree with Thibs that KAT played too passively last night, but Houston also has a really good defense. They switch so often and so quickly that it is hard to take advantage of, and when the Wolves did try to take advantage the Rockets were quick to bring over help defense and force the ball out of that player's hands. Personally, I'm pretty happy that the Wolves were able to be very competitive against an extremely good team and I'm hopeful that they will be able to win a game in this series before all is said and done.

Uh oh. The sky is falling again. We lost a game to the top team in the league at their home. That was a game we were the favorites to win. How could we possibly have lost to that terrible team in Houston! It must be coaching. No it was coaching. If only we used Towns and Wiggins like the super hero saviors that Chris Weber knows they are, we would have won.
    The sun shines again in Golden State as the hungry Wolves remain poised for the night to come

Quote Originally Posted by dschroeder01 View Post
    What a frustrating game. We had a shot with their poor shooting and some mistakes, but we couldn't execute. That may have been our best chance to avoid a sweep?

Harden is the least enjoyable superstar to watch. All the foul drawing (mostly legit, but some really lame) is great analytically, but isn't fun to watch. The play where Harden went into the backcourt after minimal contact from Butler was just completely lame. Jimmy had his arm on him and with a tiny nudge, Harden "falls" into the backcourt forcing the ref to make a call. It should have just been over and back if the refs had a spine. Paul is in that same vein, always has been. We blew our chance as I doubt Paul plays so poorly going forward.

Rose was hitting some shots yesterday and since most see baskets as equalling good play, he's cementing the inevitable decision to sign him for next year. It doesn't matter that having him doesn't fill a single need and it doesn't address that him being out there is only going to further push shots to inefficient players. Might as well trade Tyus this offseason. Maybe we could get a first?

Our offense has been good this year based on talent. So not fun to watch though. We play slow and selfish. There's no sense of sharing the ball. The Rockets make a point to set up guys for 3s. We make it point to freeze out our one good 3pt shooter, Bjelica. Could someone drive and kick it to him just once in a while?
    The diving on a 3 pt attempt to "draw" a foul is call is no better than a soccer player grabbing his groin in agony when a cleat grazed his shin. Wish the refs would spine up and T the shooter for acting.
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf w/s View Post
    This will be remembered as the game that the Wolves had the best chance to win. The Rockets were missing 3s, Wiggins brought the effort, and Teague played like the 2nd best Timberwolf on the court some of the time...

Close 'til the end, but there was still never any doubt about the outcome, was there?
    Not much, although I did get my hopes up briefly. I kept waiting for Harden to take over the game, and he eventually did. We just don't have a player of his caliber on our team. He is an amazing talent and really fun to watch on the court.

I just don't see that being realistic. Has that ever worked out well for a player in terms of how they are viewed by fans, teammates, coaches, and media? And for someone like KAT who cares deeply about public perception, it's not likely to ever happen.
    I think if KAT did it in his way (or even a more vocal way) nobody's going to give him grief. I think the vast majority of NBA fandom and "smart" writers acknowledges the lack of usage. Heck, Zach Lowe didn't vote him on the All-NBA in part because of it (which I think is nonsense but it shows that the lack of touches is noticed).
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...

This is a really good read:

1-on-1: Missing A Golden Opportunity
    John and Eric discuss the happenings in game one.

https://www.canishoopus.com/2018/4/1...s-nba-playoffs

Jon K said that the game plan called for KAT to set screens and more or less drift to the corner spots on Bumper to Bumper tonight. He still played poorly, but I really don't get the game plan. Part of me wonders if he unplugged somewhat because of the game plan.

Taken from the article -

Offensively, we’ve discussed it, but the Wolves just don’t have guards who are going to look to get KAT the ball as a primary objective. Derrick Rose and Jamal Crawford combined for 25 shot attempts while KAT had nine, which is nuts. Those guys look for their own at every opportunity, which is not optimal, even when they are going in.

If I were KAT, I would seriously consider not signing an extension and letting it play out next year. The money will always be there unless he suffers a catastrophic injury and even then he'll still make money. I would not commit to a franchise that doesn't recognize talent. And if Rose is resigned, I would recommend he not sign an extension, he deserves better than Thibs in that case.

From a poster on Canis

no you don't

Rose+Crawford, last game: -23.3 points per 100 possessions.
    Posted by e@p on Apr 16, 2018 | 8:00 PM

John and Eric need to get Bryan Samspon more involved. He provides the best analyisis by-far at Canis or anywhere else, and it seems like they are silencing him in order to keep the acoustics just right for the echochamber. Bryan Sampson probably has considerably different views than the consensus at Canis. Why? Because he actually thinks for himself and stays true to what he believes. Let's see how it works for him at Canis. If he isn't featured more, I guarantee that dude goes on to greener pastures where his voice can be heard.

Quote Originally Posted by rackshaq View Post
    John and Eric need to get Bryan Samspon more involved. He provides the best analyisis by-far at Canis or anywhere else, and it seems like they are silencing him in order to keep the acoustics just right for the echochamber. Bryan Sampson probably has considerably different views than the consensus at Canis. Why? Because he actually thinks for himself and stays true to what he believes. Let's see how it works for him at Canis. If he isn't featured more, I guarantee that dude goes on to greener pastures where his voice can be heard.
    We get it. Everyone (fan or media) that disagree with you is part of the "echo chamber". People that think like you are the smart ones that can think for themselves.

Brian is great, but he's not being silenced at Canis. Unless you think John and Eric are also silencing his twitter, youtube and other forms of media. He hasn't logged into Canis in a week, and he hasn't made so much as a comment in a month. I don't think he's that interested in anything but the full NBA playoffs at the moment judging by his overall lack of recent Wolves content.

I think its funny that you take shots at guys like Britt who has covered the Wolves almost from Day 1 and is incredibly passionate about basketball, but praise a guy like Barreiro who couldn't care less about the Wolves (or sports ion general) because you agree with a passing comment he made on his awful radio show.

Maybe if the majority of people are saying the same thing, THEY aren't the ones that are wrong...

Jon K said that the game plan called for KAT to set screens and more or less drift to the corner spots on Bumper to Bumper tonight. He still played poorly, but I really don't get the game plan. Part of me wonders if he unplugged somewhat because of the game plan.
    Thib thinks Towns is Robert Horry

Thread Information