Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 613141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    I wonder if his poor defense will drive his price down somewhat?
    Oh sure. He's not gonna get as much as the top tier of FA wings that I already mentioned. But he's also not gonna be, like, a $2-3m per year contract. I'd guess $5-7m per year on a multiyear deal.

Quote Originally Posted by BoneCrusher View Post
    He's coaching defense? Could have fooled me.
    Don't you hear him constantly screaming at the players?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf on the Prowl View Post
    Biggest need shooting? Shooting is a need but the biggest issue with this team is defense.
    Sometimes the best defense is a good offense. We need both. Having another excellent shooter is our #1 talent need.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    Sometimes the best defense is a good offense. We need both. Having another excellent shooter is our #1 talent need.
    Clanking shots kills you on the defensive end. Who wants to play transition defense half the game!?!?

Wiggins has to go. Just not enough efficiency on jump shots to deal with him taking a quarter or more of our jump shots. I don't know if Thibs can somehow get him to make dramatic improvements overnight like he seemed to have been able to coax out of Rubio before he was traded, but his efficiency needs to improve markedly or Thibs simply has to bench him to ensure we win games to get a good seed in the playoffs. I just hope he is taking a thousand shots a day minimum this summer. He has the athleticism and abilities. After that, it's just repetition.
    The sun shines again in Golden State as the hungry Wolves remain poised for the night to come

With the news that Memphis is willing to explore trading the number 4 pick to get out from Chandler Parsons, I really like this potential scenario:

Minnesota Timberwolves Out: Jimmy Butler, Gorgui Dieng
    Minnesota Timberwolves In: The no. 4 pick in the 2018 Draft, Chandler Parsons, Ben McLemore

In this scenario, the Wolves avoid having to worry about the really dicey Butler contract decision at the end of the 2018-19 season, get off the money owed to Gorgui Dieng, and pick up the number 4 pick.

Memphis does this because they get real value in the deal while dumping Parsons contract. This deal could even be structured in a way so that a cap space team like Indiana, Philly, or Los Angeles could get Butler and Memphis could get draft picks or younger assets back if they prefer simply to lower there salary burden. I would guess that since they seem locked in to keeping Gasol/Conley that adding a year of Butler and a potential chance at the playoffs would makes sense for them.

^ I'd do that deal if I knew I was getting Doncic at 4.
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...

Quote Originally Posted by EG#9 View Post
    With the news that Memphis is willing to explore trading the number 4 pick to get out from Chandler Parsons, I really like this potential scenario:

Minnesota Timberwolves In: The no. 4 pick in the 2018 Draft, Chandler Parsons, Ben McLemore

In this scenario, the Wolves avoid having to worry about the really dicey Butler contract decision at the end of the 2018-19 season, get off the money owed to Gorgui Dieng, and pick up the number 4 pick.

Memphis does this because they get real value in the deal while dumping Parsons contract. This deal could even be structured in a way so that a cap space team like Indiana, Philly, or Los Angeles could get Butler and Memphis could get draft picks or younger assets back if they prefer simply to lower there salary burden. I would guess that since they seem locked in to keeping Gasol/Conley that adding a year of Butler and a potential chance at the playoffs would makes sense for them.
    I love Jimmy but I'd do that in a minute. I'm still worried about Jimmy's knee. Only time will tell there.

Quote Originally Posted by EG#9 View Post

As long as we get Doncic or JJJ, I'm in.

Super super intriguing trade proposal. I fear it's unrealistic for the following reasons:
    * No way Thibs ok's trading Jimmy. So only if Thibs was fired would I see this as a possibility for the Wolves.
    * Trading away Parson's contract is pretty moot if the Grizz are taking back Gorgui's. They're owed practically the exact same amount of money ($49-ish mil) but Gorgui's contract is spread out over a third year. All in all, I'm not sure taking on Jimmy, who can be a free agent after this year, is enough of an enticement to just shuffle the decks cap-wise vis a vis Chandler & Gorgui.

Since we're most likely in the realm of fantasy though, I could totally get behind this trade if it came in conjunction with some other moves, such as:
    * As mentioned above, firing Thibs (which, as I think you all know, I'm not necessarily in favor of)
    * Try to unload Wiggins, Teague and/or Taj as well. Trading Jimmy for Doncic is undoubtedly a rebuilding move. Rebuilding is somewhat moot if we can't open up some amount of cap space too. This would be a fantastic year to be under the cap too, considering how few teams have cap space
    * Singing Tyus to a contract extension. If we are able to get out of Teague's contract, might as well officially make Tyus the starter. Hopefully use the cap environment of this offseason to get Tyus on a team-friendly deal.

Considering how hard it would be to accomplish all of these moves in conjunction, I don't really see the point, unless we're convinced that Jimmy isn't going to resign with us, or his knee has turned to sawdust. And if that's the case, I don't see how Memphis is interested.

Not often a top star wants to LEAVE the Spurs...

Chris Haynes✔@ChrisBHaynes
    Kawhi Leonard wants out of San Antonio, league sources tell ESPN.
    10:18 AM - 15 Jun 2018

Adrian Wojnarowski✔@wojespn
    San Antonio’s Kawhi Leonard has Los Angeles — preferably the Lakers — at the center of his preferences for a trade destination, league sources tell ESPN.
    10:29 AM - Jun 15, 2018

Kawhi's getting manipulated hard by his uncle but man, what a punk move.

Hopefully the Spurs send him elsewhere instead of his "preferred" destination.

Quote Originally Posted by The Country Club View Post
    Kawhi's getting manipulated hard by his uncle but man, what a punk move.

Hopefully the Spurs send him elsewhere instead of his "preferred" destination.
    CC I hesitate to ask this because I don't want it to seem like I'm picking on you. I really value your perspective and your contributions to this board!

Nevertheless, I shall ask: Why is Kawhi a punk for doing this? The Spurs aren't exactly blameless in this ordeal, and I don't begrudge a player for trying to find a situation that makes them as satisfied as possible. This is their job after all. By requesting a trade now, Kawhi is also sacrificing a crapton of money, since he will not be eligible for supermax extension after a trade (only the team he's originally drafted to can offer him supermax, unless the player has been traded while still on their first rookie deal). So Kawhi is consciously prioritizing a different situation over money. That's an anti-punk move, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by da_blueprint View Post
    CC I hesitate to ask this because I don't want it to seem like I'm picking on you. I really value your perspective and your contributions to this board!

Nevertheless, I shall ask: Why is Kawhi a punk for doing this? The Spurs aren't exactly blameless in this ordeal, and I don't begrudge a player for trying to find a situation that makes them as satisfied as possible. This is their job after all. By requesting a trade now, Kawhi is also sacrificing a crapton of money, since he will not be eligible for supermax extension after a trade (only the team he's originally drafted to can offer him supermax, unless the player has been traded while still on their first rookie deal). So Kawhi is consciously prioritizing a different situation over money. That's an anti-punk move, if you ask me.
    A lot of Kawhi v. Spurs stems from when his uncle got involved about a year or two ago, before the injury.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...-leonard-spurs

Everything's gone south since then since Kawhi's gone off on his own and left the Spurs hanging.

I get where you're going with that but I've lost a lot of respect for Kawhi for how he's handled things with this injury and with the Spurs. It shouldn't have gotten to this point. And while the Spurs do have some level of blame in the game as well, most of this results from Kawhi's uncle.

Quote Originally Posted by The Country Club View Post
    A lot of Kawhi v. Spurs stems from when his uncle got involved about a year or two ago, before the injury.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...-leonard-spurs

Everything's gone south since then since Kawhi's gone off on his own and left the Spurs hanging.

I get where you're going with that but I've lost a lot of respect for Kawhi for how he's handled things with this injury and with the Spurs. It shouldn't have gotten to this point. And while the Spurs do have some level of blame in the game as well, most of this results from Kawhi's uncle.
    Hmmmm I'll have to re-read that article with a focus on the involvement of Kawhi's uncle. I remember reading that article in May, but I wasn't overly shocked by anything in there. I'll re-read it though. Thanks for posting.

Adrian Wojnarowski✔@wojespn
    Indiana had little interest in Paul George trade w/ Lakers -- and that'll be case for Spurs too. Boston gives Spurs best building blocks of assets -- one of young forwards (likely Jaylen Brown), its own 18 pick/19 protected Kings pick, etc. Lonzo to Spurs? Don't hold your breath.

12:04 PM - Jun 15, 2018

Philly's got 10 + Fultz.

At least the Spurs have options...and I can't see him staying in the West.

That leaves Thibodeau as essentially the lone monarch left in the NBA as he prepares for his third summer in charge of the Timberwolves. And despite rampant speculation across the league that the front office structure could change this summer in Minnesota, league sources have told The Athletic that Thibodeau and GM Scott Layden will keep the same job titles heading into the 2018-19 season.

-Jon K, The Athletic

Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    That leaves Thibodeau as essentially the lone monarch left in the NBA as he prepares for his third summer in charge of the Timberwolves. And despite rampant speculation across the league that the front office structure could change this summer in Minnesota, league sources have told The Athletic that Thibodeau and GM Scott Layden will keep the same job titles heading into the 2018-19 season.

-Jon K, The Athletic
    And what that also means is that no matter how long he stays, Thibs will be in charge of the next round of roster gutting and I can't imagine I will like much of anything he does. He has proven that his idea of our future team is different than anything I would choose. Taylor would have had to make a change long before now to get a different vision started.

Quote Originally Posted by spiker View Post
    And what that also means is that no matter how long he stays, Thibs will be in charge of the next round of roster gutting and I can't imagine I will like much of anything he does. He has proven that his idea of our future team is different than anything I would choose. Taylor would have had to make a change long before now to get a different vision started.
    I am very afraid that this whole mess is going to leave me completely disillusioned with the NBA and my wolves. You KNOW this is how things will work out because its the most "Timberwolvsey" thing to happen:
    - Thibs will make moves to go even more in on "win now"...gutting more youth from our team in favor of veterans who wont be here 2 years from now. (i.e. a Wiggins trade for older "parts")
    - Kahwi and Lebron team up (Super team part Deux) and the west now has the Warriors, Houston and LA in front of us while Thibs is all in for winning now.
    - Thibs is fired next year and Butler leaves (or forces a trade if he's resigned this year) and we're left with the single future star of KAT and a bunch of over the hill vets and forced to rebuild in a KG like fashion around a single star.

You can just see it happening...

Yeah, if that news is true (Wolves inside sources), then we are dealing with probably the best coach in the NBA right now, which I had a hunch we had before, but I'm pretty sure now. As things evolve towards contention, the landscape is changing, and Thibs is triaging this very well. Everything makes so much sense once you go deep into what's happening and all the elements and interplays. Pop isn't on that level. He is a WAY overrated coach (him and Stevens are the top two most overrated in the NBA right now). Pop has a track record, but damn if he didn't have some all-time greats as well. It takes luck too and he got a lot of it. All Pop had to do to remain in contention into retirement was keep Leonard happy. They got overly reliant on him, and then didn't treat him with the requisite respect for having carried them on his back for a few years.

That's part of our job too. We need to respect Butler in that same way if we are to reach the promised land. If Butler wants Wiggins gone, we just need to trade him for whatever. Basically whatever Butler is willing to deal with as far as that goes. If I was Butler, I would have pretty much stopped dealing with it exactly when he decided to stop dealing with it, the second half of our last game of the season. Wiggins doesn't understand what it takes, has no sense of urgency or desire to be great. At this point we need to cut our losses now that it is out that Butler isn't going to be dealing with Wiggins nonsense anymore.

A picture is worth a thousand words and this picture tells you all you need to know about the difference between Wiggins and Butler.
    https://img.bleacherreport.net/img/i...ter&crop_y=top
    Last edited by rackshaq; 06-16-2018 at 06:50 PM.
    The sun shines again in Golden State as the hungry Wolves remain poised for the night to come

Thread Information