Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2734353637

Thread: 2018 Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    Would have been a nice pick-up for us...

Shams Charania✔@ShamsCharania
    Free agent David Nwaba has come to terms with the Cleveland Cavaliers, league sources tell Yahoo. Both sides are still working on final details of deal.

10:31 AM - Aug 1, 2018
    Yup, would’ve been a fantastic pickup. And Doogie even tweeted that there was a lot of discussion internally about picking him up. Really disappointed we couldn’t make this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by da_blueprint View Post
    Yup, would’ve been a fantastic pickup. And Doogie even tweeted that there was a lot of discussion internally about picking him up. Really disappointed we couldn’t make this happen.
    Given the current situation, it's going to be all but impossible to land any young promising player on a cheap deal. They just will not view our situation as an opportunity to prove themselves when the track record says they may receive next to no minutes. I think Nwaba would have put himself in position to play through Butler playing small-ball 4 and Rose eventually getting hurt but there is much more opportunity to prove himself for a bigger contract in Cleveland.

Our only hopes are guys who have no real other options or veterans who are OK with being more of spot guys and injury fillers. That's a really small pool to pick from and it shows why we have not had anyone pick here as a backup wing in 2 full summers. We can't even land a Brandon Rush type guy it seems at this point. Jared Dudley may be a guy we could target if he gets bought out but I have a feeling he too won't look at this situation and want to join and he's more of a small 4/3 at this point and we need wing shooters and defenders. It seems like he may be staying put in Brooklyn also at least to start the year.

I really hope we add a wing somehow or we will feel it at some point during 82 games. Putting Tolliver as a backup 3 is a bad idea. Of course, signing another wing will push Gorgui further down the rotation and make him completely impossible to trade if he isn't already. James Nunnally is the only name left that I think has not had any real offers and may jump at an NBA contract and the possibility of securing a role as a 3+D guy. I'd also throw a contract at Brandon Paul who was cut by the Spurs. These guys will play if we sign them.
    Last edited by Cory; 08-02-2018 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Given the current situation, it's going to be all but impossible to land any young promising player on a cheap deal. They just will not view our situation as an opportunity to prove themselves when the track record says they may receive next to no minutes. I think Nwaba would have put himself in position to play through Butler playing small-ball 4 and Rose eventually getting hurt but there is much more opportunity to prove himself for a bigger contract in Cleveland.

Our only hopes are guys who have no real other options or veterans who are OK with being more of spot guys and injury fillers. That's a really small pool to pick from and it shows why we have not had anyone pick here as a backup wing in 2 full summers. We can't even land a Brandon Rush type guy it seems at this point. Jared Dudley may be a guy we could target if he gets bought out but I have a feeling he too won't look at this situation and want to join and he's more of a small 4/3 at this point and we need wing shooters and defenders. It seems like he may be staying put in Brooklyn also at least to start the year.

I really hope we add a wing somehow or we will feel it at some point during 82 games. Putting Tolliver as a backup 3 is a bad idea. Of course, signing another wing will push Gorgui further down the rotation and make him completely impossible to trade if he isn't already. James Nunnally is the only name left that I think has not had any real offers and may jump at an NBA contract and the possibility of securing a role as a 3+D guy. I'd also throw a contract at Brandon Paul who was cut by the Spurs. These guys will play if we sign them.
    You might be right, Cory, and it's certainly hard to argue against this. That said, money talks, and we do have flexibility (via either the remaining amount of MLE that we still have, or BAE) to offer a player more than the minimum. We've also got very little depth at SG/SF, so perhaps that's seen as an opportunity for a player, even recognizing that Thibs plays his starters major minutes.

As for the players you mention, I agree with interest in Dudley and to a lesser extent, Paul. Problem with Dudley is that he's also best as a small-ball four at this point. Same with known Thibs guy, Luol Deng if he gets bought out. That's the main reason I was so interested in Nwaba. He slots in perfectly to our major need at this point: extremely solid defender and ability to matchup at the two or three.

You might be right, Cory, and it's certainly hard to argue against this. That said, money talks, and we do have flexibility (via either the remaining amount of MLE that we still have, or BAE) to offer a player more than the minimum. We've also got very little depth at SG/SF, so perhaps that's seen as an opportunity for a player, even recognizing that Thibs plays his starters major minutes.

As for the players you mention, I agree with interest in Dudley and to a lesser extent, Paul. Problem with Dudley is that he's also best as a small-ball four at this point. Same with known Thibs guy, Luol Deng if he gets bought out. That's the main reason I was so interested in Nwaba. He slots in perfectly to our major need at this point: extremely solid defender and ability to matchup at the two or three.
    I agree, it's tough to know if we are offering anyone more than the minimum and if we are only offering that, it just adds kindling to the fire of Thibs not understanding the GM job and how to bring in players of value. I really liked Nwaba also and he would have just made Butler or Wiggins the 3 at all times if he was given minutes which is all you really need. That's assuming that Thibs is smart enough to stagger the minutes of his two most talented wings and that may not be the case.

Paul and Nunnally would not be exciting backups but I think they could sit in the corner and hit 3's at a decent clip with the other talent that would be around them. Paul has the ability to handle the ball enough also that I think he would be good in lineups where Wigs was the primary scorer surrounded by 2nd unit guys (G, Tolliver, Wiggs, Paul, and Tyus). It would be nice to see someone teach Wiggs to run some pick and roll in a set like this where he is the screener for Paul or Tyus and he could attack defenses in a different way. Nunnally in a corner would also be intriguing. He would be a good fit here given his skill set.

https://fansided.com/2018/02/12/jame...player-europe/

I believe we have 3.3M we can spend in total.

We also are required to add 2 more players. If both those guys are 2nd year or later, their minimum salaries would be just over 1.5M.

So we essentially have just over 3M of our 3.3M earmarked for 2 minimum veterans (Noah and Deng?). So I think the most we could've offered Nwaba to entice him to come here would be about 1.8M.

Now, I suppose we could sign a rookie for one of the roster spots for 850K, meaning we could've offered Nwaba around 2.4M.

I believe we have 3.3M we can spend in total.

We also are required to add 2 more players. If both those guys are 2nd year or later, their minimum salaries would be just over 1.5M.

So we essentially have just over 3M of our 3.3M earmarked for 2 minimum veterans (Noah and Deng?). So I think the most we could've offered Nwaba to entice him to come here would be about 1.8M.

Now, I suppose we could sign a rookie for one of the roster spots for 850K, meaning we could've offered Nwaba around 2.4M.
    Had a back and forth with Dane Moore about this on twitter just the other day. He asserts that we have $2.05mil of our MLE remaining, as well as BAE ($3.38m) to spend. Those obviously can't be accrued together, but either/or would have been enough to offer Nwaba more than the bare minimum (figuratively and literally).

In any case, will be interesting to hear what Cavs contract for Nwaba actually is. If it's just slightly above minimum (similar to what the Bucks apparently gave Connaughton) I'll be really bummed. Your figure of $1.8m would certainly fit into that "just above the min" amount I was thinking of as perfect for Nwaba.

Had a back and forth with Dane Moore about this on twitter just the other day. He asserts that we have $2.05mil of our MLE remaining, as well as BAE ($3.38m) to spend. Those obviously can't be accrued together, but either/or would have been enough to offer Nwaba more than the bare minimum (figuratively and literally).

In any case, will be interesting to hear what Cavs contract for Nwaba actually is. If it's just slightly above minimum (similar to what the Bucks apparently gave Connaughton) I'll be really bummed. Your figure of $1.8m would certainly fit into that "just above the min" amount I was thinking of as perfect for Nwaba.
    I don't think Dane was right, and I believe he's been corrected over on Canis. He's been a but sketchy on cap details lately.

I'm also not sure 300K is enough incentive to choose us over a team where he might end up getting some starts.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...unnally-1.html

Doogie says that Nunnally is interested in the Wolves. Had a small stint in the NBA in 13-14 and played in the D-League (41% on 3's). Lots of Euro and played under Blatt last year.
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...

I don't think Dane was right, and I believe he's been corrected over on Canis. He's been a but sketchy on cap details lately.
    Well that's a friggin bummer to hear. I've grown to trust Dane's analysis. Guess I've got to, yknow, use my brain and not just absorb his reporting without applying critical thinking skills.

I'm also not sure 300K is enough incentive to choose us over a team where he might end up getting some starts.
    Don't try to confuse this situation with the facts, LEvine!! Seriously though, sounds like you're right. I still see potential roster crunch issues for the Cavs, who currently have plenty of depth at the wing between JR, Osman, Clarkson, George Hill, and potentially Rodney Hood. But even so, there are no obvious starters there, which is a clear difference from our situation.

We got'em

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/st...85578774667264

Good addition. Brandon Paul next please. He's an ideal 3rd guard behind Rose and Tyus.

More bad news. Where there's smoke, there is fire...From Hoops Rumors,

"A source close to Timberwolves swingman Jimmy Butler has reportedly made it known that Butler is open to the idea of signing with the Lakers next summer. Butler, 28, can opt out of the final year of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2019. Butler turned down a contract extension offer from Minnesota earlier this summer, but as we discussed, it would have been a poor financial decision for Butler to agree to an extension, as he’ll be able to earn much more on the open free agent market."

I love this thread

Thread Information