Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1017181920

Thread: 2018 Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    All we had to do was take John Collins last year and our PF needs are taken care of. He's healthy too.
    Forgot about Collins, also would have been a fit.

The Patton pick was just incredibly dumb for so many reasons that weren't injury related. Turns out the injury may bail out some of the actual talent/fit reasons and provide a different excuse for another blown draft pick by this franchise.

All we had to do was take John Collins last year and our PF needs are taken care of. He's healthy too.
    I'd much, much, much rather have OG, but Collins would've been a lot better than Patton.

I'm a big fan of Collins be he would've been a TERRIBLE fit on our roster. Passing on OG was just inexcusable though.

Quote Originally Posted by da_blueprint View Post
    I'm a big fan of Collins be he would've been a TERRIBLE fit on our roster. Passing on OG was just inexcusable though.
    I don't disagree and that was my take leading up to the draft last year. However, getting a guy who looks like a starting caliber player at 16 compared to Patton is a fit if only because the alternative is nothing.

Collins showed more touch than I expected on his shot, but he's still primarily a guy that lives around the basket. We would've had a lot of the same problems we did with Taj.

And PF is just not that valuable of a position. He may put up sexier boxscores than OG, but there is very little in the current NBA that is more valuable than a wing who can defend multiple positions, be able to play smallball PF AND can nail the 3. The rookie started 62 games for the #1 seed in the East - and it would've been more if he hadn't been coming off his injury.

Don't worry guys...Patton will work out just like Embiid!

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I don't disagree and that was my take leading up to the draft last year. However, getting a guy who looks like a starting caliber player at 16 compared to Patton is a fit if only because the alternative is nothing.
    Oh totally. The problem is, Patton suffered his foot injury post-draft during summer workouts so it’s not totally fair to say he was nothing at draft time. And if healthy, Patton is a better hypothetical fit on our roster.

Man...if there's a way to turn G and 20 into Bazemore and either 30 and/or 34 AND we could move Wiggins for Hield and Shumpert (or Koufos), the Wolves could be ready to rock. That'd open up our books quite a bit as far as future flexibility. A wing trio of Butler, Hield and Bazemore would be such an upgrade over last year.

Quote Originally Posted by dschroeder01 View Post
    Man...if there's a way to turn G and 20 into Bazemore and either 30 and/or 34 AND we could move Wiggins for Hield and Shumpert (or Koufos), the Wolves could be ready to rock. That'd open up our books quite a bit as far as future flexibility. A wing trio of Butler, Hield and Bazemore would be such an upgrade over last year.
    Resign Bjelica, don't sign Rose, draft a wing at 30 (Okogie?) and I'm SUPER happy.

Teague/Tyus
    Bazemore/Hield/Shumpert
    Butler/Bazemore/Okogie
    Taj/Bjelica/Patton
    KAT/WCS

Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...

Would love to hear people's thoughts on Bjelica and whether he's worth re-signing. Seems like most people are interested in keeping him in the fold. I like Bjelica, but recognizing that it's unlikely that we use the MLE (or any portion of the MLE) and also re-sign Bjelica, I would rather we spend on a free agent wing.

I'm concerned about Bjelica's age, durability, inconsistency and fit on D. When he's healthy and engaged, he's a huge piece of the puzzle. But even if we're able to flip Gorgui for a wing, I still view depth at the wings as more important, given the way that basketball is played in the playoffs. Bjelica got so little playing time in the playoffs, and I don't think that will change going forward.

Would love to hear what all y'all think though.

Man, Dean Demakis absolutely nailed Wiggins after his first Summer League:

https://deanondraft.com/2014/07/19/s...ndrew-wiggins/

Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    Resign Bjelica, don't sign Rose, draft a wing at 30 (Okogie?) and I'm SUPER happy.

Teague/Tyus
    Bazemore/Hield/Shumpert
    Butler/Bazemore/Okogie
    Taj/Bjelica/Patton
    KAT/WCS
    We'd take on some salary in the ATL deal, but would save at least $5M in the Sacto deal (more depending on the pieces coming back Koufus instead of Shumpert). I don't know exactly, but seems like we could still use at least a portion of the MLE to add even more to the team.

Would love to hear people's thoughts on Bjelica and whether he's worth re-signing. Seems like most people are interested in keeping him in the fold. I like Bjelica, but recognizing that it's unlikely that we use the MLE (or any portion of the MLE) and also re-sign Bjelica, I would rather we spend on a free agent wing.

I'm concerned about Bjelica's age, durability, inconsistency and fit on D. When he's healthy and engaged, he's a huge piece of the puzzle. But even if we're able to flip Gorgui for a wing, I still view depth at the wings as more important, given the way that basketball is played in the playoffs. Bjelica got so little playing time in the playoffs, and I don't think that will change going forward.

Would love to hear what all y'all think though.
    I like Bjelly a lot and I'd pay him 8 mil to stay. The poor guy gets inconsistent minutes which has to hurt him. He needs a longer leash. He brings skill to a 6'9" frame. We need that. I wish he defended the perimeter better but he's surprisingly good defending under the basket and rebounds the ball well. The odds of getting a better player than Bjelly for the money doesn't seem likely to me. That said I'd be surprised he wants to stay here and play for Thibs. Just think how great he'd fit in San Antonio. Popp would love him.

I like Bjelly a lot and I'd pay him 8 mil to stay. The poor guy gets inconsistent minutes which has to hurt him. He needs a longer leash. He brings skill to a 6'9" frame. We need that. I wish he defended the perimeter better but he's surprisingly good defending under the basket and rebounds the ball well. The odds of getting a better player than Bjelly for the money doesn't seem likely to me. That said I'd be surprised he wants to stay here and play for Thibs. Just think how great he'd fit in San Antonio. Popp would love him.
    IDK man... Don't bet the farm on Belly and SAS being a good fit. They had Splitter who is a more athletic version of Belly and it wasn't pretty... Also remember when Pop traveled to Slovenia to recruit Nesterovic way back when? That was one of the ugliest deals they had to recover from. Rasho could not get a minute of play in the playoffs. He went from being in the discussion of the best centers in the league while playing with KG, to not being able to get his butt off the bench with Timmy.
    Truth is not determined by how many believe it!

Quote Originally Posted by BIG BAD WOLF View Post
    IDK man... Don't bet the farm on Belly and SAS being a good fit. They had Splitter who is a more athletic version of Belly and it wasn't pretty... Also remember when Pop traveled to Slovenia to recruit Nesterovic way back when? That was one of the ugliest deals they had to recover from. Rasho could not get a minute of play in the playoffs. He went from being in the discussion of the best centers in the league while playing with KG, to not being able to get his butt off the bench with Timmy.
    But both of those guys were Centers. Bjelica is a 3/4.

I still think Utah would be a great landing spot for him.

Rubio/Mitchell/Ingles/Bjelica/Gobert is a really interesting group.

It wasn't hard to see from watching him at KU, either. I managed to talk myself into him once the steam for the Love trade started to move his way, though. Whoops. I'm not convinced he's as bad as some thing he is, but he's definitely a disappointment, and now a hugely overpaid one.

Did anyone see this from Common?
    https://twitter.com/CommonManKFAN/st...77937217208321

I've always put pretty much zero stock into anything he says, but then last year, he was one of the first locals to start tweeting about a Butler deal, and his details on the players on both sides were pretty much spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McCann View Post
    Did anyone see this from Common?
    https://twitter.com/CommonManKFAN/st...77937217208321

I've always put pretty much zero stock into anything he says, but then last year, he was one of the first locals to start tweeting about a Butler deal, and his details on the players on both sides were pretty much spot on.
    Its the exact trade Eric at Canis proposed a while ago, so I'm more than a little skeptical.

“if he gets traded to Minnesota and plays for Flip Saunders on a lottery team I do not like his odds of succeeding”

Thread Information