Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by rackshaq View Post
    If the possibility existed for us to get Butler for Wiggins instead of LaVine, I am done with this team. To think what we would be capable of with Zach instead of Wiggins is enraging, because Zach was everything we needed at the two.
    I think if you're pining for LaVine instead of Wiggins, you're suffering a bit from the "grass is always greener" syndrome. I loved Zack, and he has an absolutely beautiful 3-point jump shot. Buf if your concerns with Wiggins are poor defense and low basketball IQ, then Zack would not be the solution.

If your concerns are effort and dogged mentality, then Zack may be your guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf w/s View Post
    I think if you're pining for LaVine instead of Wiggins, you're suffering a bit from the "grass is always greener" syndrome. I loved Zack, and he has an absolutely beautiful 3-point jump shot. Buf if your concerns with Wiggins are poor defense and low basketball IQ, then Zack would not be the solution.

Zack has always been my guy since draft night. Nice guy too. Love that kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    Zack has always been my guy since draft night. Nice guy too. Love that kid.
    I was right that we should've drafted Harris....

Zach is a great kid. Gary is a way better player.

I think LaVine is a better fit for a Teague lead team. I think Wiggins consumes too many possessions in iso with Towns and Butler on the team. I think at the end of the day, Wiggins has more talent, but Zach is a better fit (and plays with more heart). I will say that I feel neither player is ideal for our roster (I think a true 3&D wing would be our best fit; someone like Ariza), but between the two, I think it is addition through subtraction. We move the possessions Andrew uses to Butler and Towns and we are a better team.

My concerns with Wiggins are a lot of things. I've been a broken record on him since year one and predicted the bind we would be in with him. I've been hoping to be proven wrong on him. I've been wrong on players before. But now the shine is more than wearing off for me. I've lost my patience with him. He's all over the place and is too stubborn to improve quickly in all the areas he needs to improve in. At least if he shot the 3 at a decent percentage I'd be encouraged, but I don't see the development path forward right now. At least with Gorgui, I think he will realize. With Wiggins, I think it's time to move on and cut our losses. He isn't anything for us. He is just a net negative player that has always been but this year his negativity has been hidden by the other 4 on the floor with him. An innefficient streaky iso scorer. Certain could go the Derozen route, but I'm beginning to think that Gay may in fact be the better comparison.

But regarding Zach, he does not have a low bbiq. That's another false premise perpetuated here. He isn't on Tyus' level, but he is WAY further along than Wiggins. Wiggins likely will never catch up. Plus LaVine's team defense is way better than Wiggins' is. He simply doesn't make as many mistakes and is quicker to react and to anticipate how things play out. That's what I call bbiq. Speed of thought is a big part of it, as is vigilance. Look at all the best defenders. Look at how much they use their vision. Look at how proactive they are with their positioning. Look at how quickly their eyes are darting around. Look at how much they are paying attention to simultaneously. Speed of thought and speed of reaction is everything. But beyond that, high spatial IQ (like Rubio, Tyus, Butler, CP3, LeBron, Curry, etc have) gives you a huge advantage. Bbiq encompasses that, but it's a subset of that. Some people can see a snapshot of players and their "optical flow" (as we say in computer vision) and be able to predict where they will be, when, even if they aren't looking. That's spatial IQ and it's effortless for some. I think Towns has the potential, but at the moment, he isn't able to pay attention to all the things the best are able to pay attention to simultaneously. It's like when you first learn how to drive, you focus on such narrow and immediate things, like merging in, that the ride is jerky and stuff. Then when you are able to pay attention to all things in your field of view at once, and also are able to dart your eyes around adding to your mental model of what's going on, everything gets so much smoother and safer. You're drinking cocktails, checking texts, listening to podcasts, watching the game, you know, the usual...jk, but the point is, it gets easier, but for some, much faster than others and imo, even more so than IQ, it is an attitude thing. How do you deal with failure? Do you blame? Are you the victim? Practicing anything you are not good at is failure on repeat. You got to get good at being bad at things and then soon, before you know it, you are searching for more things you're bad at. That's the road to success. It's not meant for everyone. To me, LeBron is the gold standard for the mental toughness needed to walk that road. Even more so than MJ and Kobe.

I don't know. I am so dissapointed in Wiggins that I don't want him back. I think someone that is as stubborn as he is to not realize when to be selfish and when to put the team first, I want nothing to do with.
    The sun shines again in Golden State as the hungry Wolves remain poised for the night to come

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Styles View Post
    I think LaVine is a better fit for a Teague lead team. I think Wiggins consumes too many possessions in iso with Towns and Butler on the team. I think at the end of the day, Wiggins has more talent, but Zach is a better fit (and plays with more heart). I will say that I feel neither player is ideal for our roster (I think a true 3&D wing would be our best fit; someone like Ariza), but between the two, I think it is addition through subtraction. We move the possessions Andrew uses to Butler and Towns and we are a better team.
    I love Zach's 3 point shot, but he's still so far from being a positive player. On both ends.

On offense, he still has a tough time telling what is a good or bad shot, and he's awful moving without the ball. He needs his PG to find him instead of being able to make himself available for his PG. He doesn't cut, he doesn't move, he's just lacking the skillset to get himself open. And while he's explosive in a straight line with the ball in his hand, he has absolutely no change of speed or change of direction. Its why he struggles so much to get all the way to the hoop, or even to the line.

On defense, he can do an OK job staying in front of his man - provided his man has the ball. But he's hopelessly lost in team defense as he often loses track of his guy when he doesn't have the ball. When he's on defense, he watches the ball - no matter who has it, and he's generally unaware of the other 4 players on the floor.

What I love about Zach is he really wants to be great, and he works his *** off, but he has so much struggle with basic fundamental things that I fear he's never going to "get it".

I think his finished form is likely "better shooting, worse handling Jamal Crawford".

Chicago has a really big decision to make this summer with him. Outside of a handful of games, he didn't play well for them, but he's also probably not 100% healthy. Do they give him a HUGE deal on potential? Do they play out his QO offer and let him become an UFA the next summer? Do Zach and the Bulls agree on a 2-3 year deal for less money as a "prove it" contract?

Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    IDo they play out his QO offer and let him become an UFA the next summer?
    I'm not one to throw the baby with the bathwater, but this option is a bit funny to me because I don't think anyone thinks this is a realistic option. We'll find out soon, I think he'll get a max offer.

At any rate, I disagree with your read on LaVine's defense. It's not uncommon for me to have a different read on defense than you. I think we disagree on Teague and Butler. I think both of those two are much better defenders than where you had them pegged earlier this year. That said, I AM interested in reads on Wiggins defense and offense. He is the most perplexing player to me, so if anyone thinks they've figured out where he'll ultimately get to, I'm very interested to hear what that might be. 3pt shooting, handle, vigilance, moving without the ball, pick and roll offense, and team defense (vigilance, anticipation, desire, effort). Those are things that I rate LaVine higher on.

On a completely unrelated note. How good is that show Westworld? There truely are so many levels to good. Thibs is so right when he says Houston and Golden State are on a different level. For things I know more about, movies and film, I really see it. People want to compare Black Mirror to Nolan Bros. because of IMDB and Rotten tomatoes ratings. To me it's like the difference between college and NBA or high school and college.

HBO and Netflix are the Houston and Golden State of TV production. Netflix, like Houston, has the volume. Golden State, like HBO, has the quality. The third best is just so far behind it ain't funny.
    Last edited by rackshaq; 04-30-2018 at 09:18 PM.
    The sun shines again in Golden State as the hungry Wolves remain poised for the night to come

It's not uncommon for me to have a different read on defense than you. I think we disagree on Teague and Butler. I think both of those two are much better defenders than where you had them pegged earlier this year.
    Jimmy Butler has been my favorite non-Wolf player for years, and no one has sung his defensive praises more than me. Both before we traded for him and since.

Nice try though.

I'm not one to throw the baby with the bathwater, but this option is a bit funny to me because I don't think anyone thinks this is a realistic option. We'll find out soon, I think he'll get a max offer.
    Its an option if they can't come to an agreement on a contract. Its a major issue in Chicago right now.

Jimmy Butler has been my favorite non-Wolf player for years, and no one has sung his defensive praises more than me. Both before we traded for him and since.

Nice try though.
    Well you are/were clearly right on Butler. So props for that if that's what you are looking for, but Teague and Taj are also pretty good defenders and I believe you've said they were bad before earlier this year. Again, no interest in throwing the baby with the bath water, because you clearly know a lot about basketball, but just like the rest of us, you're not infallible.

Its an option if they can't come to an agreement on a contract. Its a major issue in Chicago right now.
    The possibility of Chicago letting LaVine walk as an UFA is not plausible at all based on anything that I can think of.

Well you are/were clearly right on Butler. So props for that if that's what you are looking for, but Teague and Taj are also pretty good defenders and I believe you've said they were bad before earlier this year. Again, no interest in throwing the baby with the bath water, because you clearly know a lot about basketball, but just like the rest of us, you're not infallible.
    Been a big Taj fan for years. My only comments about his defense are that he's not a rim protector at all (he's not), but he's a great post defender and very good in the pick and roll (provided he doesn't need to go all the way to the arc). As good as he is on defense, he's not a great fit next to KAT.

Teague has quick hands, but he's never been a good defender.

And apparently even Jimmy and Taj can't drag our archaic schemes (and KAT, Wiggins and Teague) to respectability.

The possibility of Chicago letting LaVine walk as an UFA is not a realistic possibility at all.
    Why would they "let him walk"? Even if he gets to UFA, they can still pay him more than anyone else. Teams resigning UFAs is not an uncommon thing.

And they can't force him to sign a contract this summer. What if he demands the Max and they refuse without seeing him healthy for a year first?

Why would they "let him walk"? Even if he gets to UFA, they can still pay him more than anyone else. Teams resigning UFAs is not an uncommon thing.

And they can't force him to sign a contract this summer. What if he demands the Max and they refuse without seeing him healthy for a year first?
    I stand corrected. What you say kinda makes sense but I still don't think it's a realistic possibility for the reason that he may just choose a slightly lower max contract then and then they've essentially traded Butler for a first round pick and a fairly flawed PG in Dunn. It looks really bad.

Regarding Teague and Taj. Glad you're acknowledging some of the things they do well on defense. I think Teague against CP3 compared to anyone else on our team defending CP3 shows really how good Teague can be on defense.

Chicago has a really big decision to make this summer with him. Outside of a handful of games, he didn't play well for them, but he's also probably not 100% healthy. Do they give him a HUGE deal on potential? Do they play out his QO offer and let him become an UFA the next summer? Do Zach and the Bulls agree on a 2-3 year deal for less money as a "prove it" contract?
    I think Chicago's owner should sit down with him and ask him to promise to play hard and get better, then give him the max. Sounds like what a really good basketball organization would do. But, they have to make sure he pinky swears he will be great.

1 members liked this post.

At any rate, I disagree with your read on LaVine's defense. It's not uncommon for me to have a different read on defense than you. I think we disagree on Teague and Butler. I think both of those two are much better defenders than where you had them pegged earlier this year. That said, I AM interested in reads on Wiggins defense and offense. He is the most perplexing player to me, so if anyone thinks they've figured out where he'll ultimately get to, I'm very interested to hear what that might be. 3pt shooting, handle, vigilance, moving without the ball, pick and roll offense, and team defense (vigilance, anticipation, desire, effort). Those are things that I rate LaVine higher on.

On a completely unrelated note. How good is that show Westworld? There truely are so many levels to good. Thibs is so right when he says Houston and Golden State are on a different level. For things I know more about, movies and film, I really see it. People want to compare Black Mirror to Nolan Bros. because of IMDB and Rotten tomatoes ratings. To me it's like the difference between college and NBA or high school and college.

HBO and Netflix are the Houston and Golden State of TV production. Netflix, like Houston, has the volume. Golden State, like HBO, has the quality. The third best is just so far behind it ain't funny
    Off topic I know but, Westworld is brilliant on so many levels starting with it's wonderfully jazzy theme. Were you comparing Black Mirror to Chris and Jon Nolan? I'm missing it? Do you recommend Black Mirror?

BTW, on Amazon there is a somewhat new series called "Bosch". Developed after the Carpenter books. Season 4 just arrived and I can't wait. Each season has 10 1 hour episodes that tell a complete story. Titus Welliver plays the LA detective H. Bosch and he's outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    Off topic I know but, Westworld is brilliant on so many levels starting with it's wonderfully jazzy theme. Were you comparing Black Mirror to Chris and Jon Nolan? I'm missing it? Do you recommend Black Mirror?

BTW, on Amazon there is a somewhat new series called "Bosch". Developed after the Carpenter books. Season 4 just arrived and I can't wait. Each season has 10 1 hour episodes that tell a complete story. Titus Welliver plays the LA detective H. Bosch and he's outstanding.
    Yeah, Chris and Jon Nolan are god.

I don't recommend Black Mirror, but many do. I think it is formulaic and not very well thought out. Very predictable. The concept is that each episode follows around a main character that somehow derails their life en route to discovering the unintended consequences of certain new technologies that emerge quickly. The combination of sophisticated technologies and naive characters makes for ok horror-sci-fi, which is what this show is. It's kinda like Alex Garland stuff, if you've seen Ex Machina or Annihilation, but not quite as good. Some say it is reminiscent of the Twilight Zone. In my opinion, it won't date well. Westworld, on the other hand, is on a different level.

Westworld, Atlanta, Mr. Robot, and GOT have been the most entertaining shows I've seen in the last several years. GOTs latest season was way too predictable for me, which was not something I couldn't say about any of the previous seasons, so I'm not really as impressed anymore.

Yeah, Chris and Jon Nolan are god.

I don't recommend Black Mirror, but many do. I think it is formulaic and not very well thought out. Very predictable. The concept is that each episode follows around a main character that somehow derails their life en route to discovering the unintended consequences of certain new technologies that emerge quickly. The combination of sophisticated technologies and naive characters makes for ok horror-sci-fi, which is what this show is. It's kinda like Alex Garland stuff, if you've seen Ex Machina or Annihilation, but not quite as good. Some say it is reminiscent of the Twilight Zone. In my opinion, it won't date well. Westworld, on the other hand, is on a different level.

Westworld, Atlanta, Mr. Robot, and GOT have been the most entertaining shows I've seen in the last several years. GOTs latest season was way too predictable for me, which was not something I couldn't say about any of the previous seasons, so I'm not really as impressed anymore.
    Thanks. I did see the first two episodes of Black Mirror and your comments fit my impressions. I'm excited to see Atlanta now that you mentioned it. Mr Robot was unusual for me in that the first episode was so good I couldn't wait to see the next. I loved each subsequent episode a little less so, that by the time the end of the first season was over, I had no interest in seeing any more. Funny how that works sometimes.

Thread Information