Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Good story about Glen Taylor....

Great read. It's tough to separate Glen the owner from Glen the person as a fan. His story and his persistence in keeping the Wolves in Minnesota are things that are admirable even if we all have disagreed with his decision making and choices for much of his ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Great read. It's tough to separate Glen the owner from Glen the person as a fan. His story and his persistence in keeping the Wolves in Minnesota are things that are admirable even if we all have disagreed with his decision making and choices for much of his ownership.
    Glen has made poor decisions putting people in power and has been loyal to a fault with his front office. He has spent money when it needed to be spent. I really have no worries that he'll dip into the luxury tax now...unless he thinks Thibs is not the right guy to lead this team ....which is of course probably true.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsxman View Post
    Glen has made poor decisions putting people in power and has been loyal to a fault with his front office. He has spent money when it needed to be spent. I really have no worries that he'll dip into the luxury tax now...unless he thinks Thibs is not the right guy to lead this team ....which is of course probably true.
    True on all accounts but not sure on the lux tax issue. I can't remember the circumstances exactly around our 2004-05 team if we were in the Luxury tax or what the luxury tax even was at that point. We did get into public squabbles with Cassell and Spree immediately following so while Glen will spend, he has limits. And that team was coming off of a WCF appearance. I think he will be a tougher sell for an 8 seed and with a coach/POBO that he does not like as much as he did the McHale/Flip combo. Those guys could sell Glen on just about anything. I'm not sure Thibs has the same pull with Glen. That matters a lot.

I believe the luxury tax is also a lot more daunting now than it was back then. Not the initial tax, but if you hit repeater status.

Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    I believe the luxury tax is also a lot more daunting now than it was back then. Not the initial tax, but if you hit repeater status.
    Correct. I fully expect Glen to exceed luxury tax for a year. When that year happens is an open question, as I do not expect Glen to exceed luxury tax for consecutive years (unless we somehow become a legit championship contender, which seems, errr, unlikely). So I wouldn't be surprised if our year of exceeding luxury tax is more likely to occur in 19/20 season, as opposed to next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    True on all accounts but not sure on the lux tax issue. I can't remember the circumstances exactly around our 2004-05 team if we were in the Luxury tax or what the luxury tax even was at that point. We did get into public squabbles with Cassell and Spree immediately following so while Glen will spend, he has limits. And that team was coming off of a WCF appearance. I think he will be a tougher sell for an 8 seed and with a coach/POBO that he does not like as much as he did the McHale/Flip combo. Those guys could sell Glen on just about anything. I'm not sure Thibs has the same pull with Glen. That matters a lot.
    Oh I agree with you.... Spending into luxury tax on a 7 ro 8 seed is probably NOT something Glen will do. But I would expect that Thibs will be gone if that happens.
    Re: the WCF team and not spending....remember that Glen offered Spreewell, I think it was 21 million for 4 years which he wasnt going to sniff anywhere else. And he turned it down...and Glen rightfully so said "no more". 21 million was an overpay but somehow we blame Glen for that?

Thread Information