Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    Buford is a perfect example.

While Popovich is the POBO, he leaves ALL the heavy lifting to RC. Pop has final say over things, but he trusts Buford completely and will be the first person to give him credit for finding players.

Layden on the other hand, is a glorified assistant to Thibs. He makes the calls Thibs asks him to, negotiates with the players Thibs tells him to and is really just there to facilitate Thibs vision.

We saw Doc lose his GM duties in LA, Bud lose his in Atlanta, and now SVG is gone completely from Detroit.
    Do you think there is any chance Glen tells Thibs he can only do one role and he has to pick, but he has to give up the other role and hire someone (not Layden style though, someone who actually does the real work). I could see Glen pushing Thibs to hire a new coach but he stays on as GM. This would get Thibs off sideline and eliminate the swearing and embarrassment. At same time, it could potentially keep Butler happy if Thibs is still in the country club.

Quote Originally Posted by WunderWolf View Post
    Do you think there is any chance Glen tells Thibs he can only do one role and he has to pick, but he has to give up the other role and hire someone (not Layden style though, someone who actually does the real work). I could see Glen pushing Thibs to hire a new coach but he stays on as GM. This would get Thibs off sideline and eliminate the swearing and embarrassment. At same time, it could potentially keep Butler happy if Thibs is still in the country club.
    It would have to be what you said there to work. If Thibs is coach and POBO, then it doesn't matter who is in the GM role; it will be Thibs. When the coach can fire the GM, then the coach gets what he wants. Glen would have to tell Thibs that if he stays coach, he has to give up the POBO role, otherwise whomever gets hired as GM is just a proxy anyway.

That said, I don't want Thibs as a GM. Besides trading for Butler, I haven't liked a single move he's done. Dunn was a decent pick, but Thibs couldn't coach him. When he got away from Thibs he improved in every aspect of the game. Every other move was a lateral movement at best. Kahn made some pretty bad moves, but we still had the ability to maneuver a bit. We are completely stuck right now looking at losing some good players and having nothing to spend on bringing in replacements. I don't see a very easy path to becoming a stronger contender, and we are quite a bit short from where we need to be to try for a title. We are maybe a second round team right now. I can't see us making the conference finals in the next 2 years, and I don't see a path to get there with the moves Thibs has made. We require a team to bail us out now. We can maybe work something out, or we may get super lucky in the draft and land on a talent like Mitchell, but I don't want Thibs calling the shots if we can avoid it.

Thread Information