Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Becky Hammon

Becky Hammon

RE: Becky Hammon, someone should just hire her and be done with it so the thought pieces and takes on whether she can coach or how successful she will be can subside after the initial hubbub.

And, yes, I think she's going to be a very good NBA coach in the right organization.

If Thibs gets fired, Hammon's not the hire for us because of Taylor and how generally a-- backwards the Timberwolves have approached 21st Century anything. Hammon would be good in Milwaukee or Toronto with the openings that are out there at the moment (arguably a better fit for MIL given they're in ramp up mode and there's a bit less pressure to win now unlike in TOR although I think she'd be successful in either place).

Our replacement would be regime-based and a tandem who fit together well (Griffin and Blatt before DET scoops up Griffin as an example). I don't think Layden would be a strong enough and transformative enough executive to help guide a Hammon hire and our organization probably isn't in a spot where Becky, given our current mess, is going to be able to just step in and be great. It's great for headlines but I don't think our organization's culture is in a spot from top down where it'd work out of the gate. She'd do better in MIL or TOR where there's a better infrastructure in place for success from the get-go. Would she be successful long term? Arguably so. Probably more so once Taylor unloads the team. But I think our window isn't as wide as it would be elsewhere and I'm not sure Becky would succeed here in the first few years. Not because of her. Because of everything else in Target Center.

We're a mess right now from the owner on down...and it's probably going to need someone like Griffin who can navigate around and through Taylor to clean things up over time. And to bring in a coach to help steer through the unrest and get things settled down in the organization's basketball side.
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...

I think Hammon would be a great hire for us for the exact reason you say she is a bad one; the Wolves culture has been toxic for a decade and it needs to change. This kind of move would be Glen telling everyone he is ready to stop trying the same thing over and over again and wants to rebuild a winning organization from the ground up. I think she would relate to guys like Wiggins well because they are both in the same boat; they both have a lot to prove. While we could all say that with Thibs (since he hasn't really done a whole heck of a lot in his career at the helm either here or in Chicago), I think he believes he has already proven it and that he gets the short end of the stick, so he is unable to relate to Wiggins in that way. I feel Towns and (to some extent) Butler are in that same boat. As good as Towns is, he has a long way to go on Defense, which was his selling point in the draft. People were saying his offense was underdeveloped but he projected to be a solid defender.

I also will say that Glen has been making quotes to the media lately that sound a lot like the stuff we have been pushing here. He wants more 3s integrated into our system. He wants a more modern defensive approach. It sounds to me that Glen realizes that his "hands off" approach and doing the "country club" has hurt the organization and he is ready to change. I think that is why he hired that company last time to help him with the coaching search. I do feel like Glen is ready for a change this drastic. It may not actually work if we were to do it, but I don't think it would be Glen that would get in the way. It would be whether Hammon could break down the current toxic culture and instill a new one effectively. That is never easy, but she would have to do it anywhere she goes, and there seems to be a lot of people within the organization that would welcome that sort of change. Crawford declining his option and the comments from Teague are great examples of this.

I will do cartwheels when I read that Thibs has been replaced by...ANYBODY!

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Styles View Post
    I think Hammon would be a great hire for us for the exact reason you say she is a bad one; the Wolves culture has been toxic for a decade and it needs to change. This kind of move would be Glen telling everyone he is ready to stop trying the same thing over and over again and wants to rebuild a winning organization from the ground up. I think she would relate to guys like Wiggins well because they are both in the same boat; they both have a lot to prove. While we could all say that with Thibs (since he hasn't really done a whole heck of a lot in his career at the helm either here or in Chicago), I think he believes he has already proven it and that he gets the short end of the stick, so he is unable to relate to Wiggins in that way. I feel Towns and (to some extent) Butler are in that same boat. As good as Towns is, he has a long way to go on Defense, which was his selling point in the draft. People were saying his offense was underdeveloped but he projected to be a solid defender.

I also will say that Glen has been making quotes to the media lately that sound a lot like the stuff we have been pushing here. He wants more 3s integrated into our system. He wants a more modern defensive approach. It sounds to me that Glen realizes that his "hands off" approach and doing the "country club" has hurt the organization and he is ready to change. I think that is why he hired that company last time to help him with the coaching search. I do feel like Glen is ready for a change this drastic. It may not actually work if we were to do it, but I don't think it would be Glen that would get in the way. It would be whether Hammon could break down the current toxic culture and instill a new one effectively. That is never easy, but she would have to do it anywhere she goes, and there seems to be a lot of people within the organization that would welcome that sort of change. Crawford declining his option and the comments from Teague are great examples of this.
    So I agree...but disagree based on the bolded above. I think Glen made that statement when we went out and quickly brought in the guy who was considered to be the #1 coach out there. He didnt dilly dally like he normally does. He attempted to cover his bases by bringing in Korn Ferry. He did what I think most people would say a quality organization would do...and acted decisively in making that Thibs hire. Thats why it sucks so hard that its backfiring...

THink of the positive pub and fans we'd get if we made that move? Plus...I think it woudl be a good move.

I think it would be a great move.

But we're going to need a new GM first - no matter who we end up hiring as the coach. Layden has value - but only for his contacts and relationships around the league. He's a proven disaster when given any kind of GM power.

I wonder if we could poach one of Buford's top assistants and have him bring Becky along with him?

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Styles View Post

A couple of things.

1) I tend to think Korn Ferry was largely a smokescreen and that Thibs was "the guy" and Korn was essentially brought in to validate the decision.

2) I think Becky can be successful here but there's probably more work in a build here than in an organization like TOR or MIL where there's a stronger foundation in place. I also think that Taylor's general ***-backwards approach to analytics would require a full new regime coming in and significant investment in other things. I'm not sure where such a person would be available unless you poach Budenholzer and not have him coach but strictly have him running the basketball side. In such a case, maybe Becky can make it work.

3) The problem though even in the second point is that Taylor *does* meddle (see Thibs wanting to trade Wiggins and getting blocked) at times and in the wrong places. He's never really been forward-thinking (the talk now of needing more 3's has been brought up on occasion over the years, yet nothing changes). Would Taylor truly be willing to invest in scouting, analytics, sports science at a level that Minnesota needs to be competitive given we're not a destination market? We need to find Ingles and O'Neales and we've never been consistently good at that. Taylor *is* good at giving out big contracts...but he's also tripped over himself to meddle when his POBO tries to make a move that most of us probably would have agreed to.

So, yeah, I'm not sure Becky's the hire for us *now* unless Taylor decides to let his POBO be a POBO and then greenlights investment in analytics and scouting that would be necessary for us. Then *maybe* I could see it.

Given Taylor's history, I'm not confident that the next hires will be given that latitude.
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...

Thread Information