Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    18,145

    Wiggins' Value On Market? LOL

    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...alue-on-market

    According to Jon Krawczynski of The Athletic: "From what I can gather, Wiggins doesn't have a huge amount of value on the market right now. He's about to start a five-year, $148 million contract and is coming off of a less-than-convincing fourth season in the league."
    ...and...

    "They are going to be aggressive and know they have a lot of ground to make up without a lot of cap space to do it. That points to a big move, either with Wiggins or [Gorgui] Dieng or some combination. It's not going to be an easy decision or an easy process to navigate. But I think they're going to consider all options in an effort to get closer to the top of the conference. You can feel the urgency hanging in the air."
    Curious how that's going to work.
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    8,902
    You know Thibs is going to pull some stupid insane stunt because he knows his last ever job in the NBA is on the line and he needs to hit that home run ball.
    Publicity, fame and accolades can make a theory popular. They can't make it true.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    18,145
    Quote Originally Posted by BoneCrusher View Post
    You know Thibs is going to pull some stupid insane stunt because he knows his last ever job in the NBA is on the line and he needs to hit that home run ball.
    I have no problem trading Wiggins, Teague, and even Dieng. I just don't know what you're going to get that's gonna be a good fit or a deal where we don't get popped with a bad contract in the case of trading Wiggins.

    If we get a bad contract + solid starter (or the two rolled into one) for Wiggins, that's probably our best bet at this point.
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    8,902
    Quote Originally Posted by The Country Club View Post
    I have no problem trading Wiggins, Teague, and even Dieng. I just don't know what you're going to get that's gonna be a good fit or a deal where we don't get popped with a bad contract in the case of trading Wiggins.

    If we get a bad contract + solid starter (or the two rolled into one) for Wiggins, that's probably our best bet at this point.
    But like you mentioned Thibs would pull a stupid deal like bringing in Noah in some hair brained scheme involving Wiggins. If we got other pieces that we needed I wouldn't mind as much but I would also prefer we get rid of Thibs and bring in a coach that might get more out of Wiggins.
    Publicity, fame and accolades can make a theory popular. They can't make it true.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    18,145
    Quote Originally Posted by BoneCrusher View Post
    But like you mentioned Thibs would pull a stupid deal like bringing in Noah in some hair brained scheme involving Wiggins. If we got other pieces that we needed I wouldn't mind as much but I would also prefer we get rid of Thibs and bring in a coach that might get more out of Wiggins.
    I don't know who could get "more" out of Wiggins. He is what he is. A good kid but a floater on the basketball court that doesn't have "it" when it comes to flipping the switch and consistently having a killer instinct.

    He's got 12,000 minutes in the tank and the body of work of guys with his contributions on the court is pretty poor.

    http://bkref.com/tiny/0xW3s

    There are only 5 guys who have played 9000 minutes in the first 4 seasons and been below replacement value. DeMar's panned out to becoming good but he was on the ramp up in year 4. Wiggins had arguably his worst season this year.

    He may figure it out but I don't think he does here. Firing Thibs isn't going to change it. He is what he is.
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    8,902
    Quote Originally Posted by The Country Club View Post
    I don't know who could get "more" out of Wiggins. He is what he is. A good kid but a floater on the basketball court that doesn't have "it" when it comes to flipping the switch and consistently having a killer instinct.

    He's got 12,000 minutes in the tank and the body of work of guys with his contributions on the court is pretty poor.

    http://bkref.com/tiny/0xW3s

    There are only 5 guys who have played 9000 minutes in the first 4 seasons and been below replacement value. DeMar's panned out to becoming good but he was on the ramp up in year 4. Wiggins had arguably his worst season this year.

    He may figure it out but I don't think he does here. Firing Thibs isn't going to change it. He is what he is.
    First year is Flip, next year is Sam then Thibs.

    His rookie year is not going to be a factor, add in a new coach (Sam) and after learning that he gets the screamer.

    I agree that Wigs has a terrible handle but there are things he can do and do well. Again not a max contract but I do think he would do better under a different coach who can run plays for his style.

    Thibs loves to beat the square peg into the round hole without ever thinking of changing his style to accommodate the players he has. Pop does and so do other coaches. Others coach a specific style and bring in players for that role.

    It's what I've hated Thibs for and why Taylor should cut his losses and move on while we have a solid core. A couple of moves and we will be a solid team.
    Publicity, fame and accolades can make a theory popular. They can't make it true.


  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by BoneCrusher View Post
    Again not a max contract but I do think he would do better under a different coach who can run plays for his style.
    I think he's ideally suited to score 22 PPG on a 25 win team.

    At least if you constantly feed him the ball, he'll stay engaged on 1 end of the court...


  8. #8
    Volume scorer on a bad team...

    Andrew Wiggins' 4 years in MN:
    36.2 MPG, 19.7 PPG (45/33/74), 4.1 RPG, 2.1 APG, 1.0 SPG. PER: 15.0, WS/48: .050, BPM: -2.4, VORP: -1.2

    JR Rider's first 4 years in MN:
    33.5 MPG, 18.2 PPG (46/37/82), 3.9 RPG, 2.8 APG, 0.7 SPG. PER: 14.8, WS/48: .056, BPM: -1.1, VORP: 2.4

    Tony Campbell's 3 years in MN:
    35.9 MPG, 20.6 PPG (45/25/80), 4.6 RPG, 2.8 APG, 1.3 SPG. PER: 16.4, WS/48: .065, BPM: -0.7, VORP: 2.9


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    5,797
    I wonder if there is any chance of moving Wiggins to SA for LMA if Leonard demands a trade. Obviously we would need to send them more value, but if they are losing their top player, it seems pretty pointless for them to keep LMA on the payroll. They play well enough to make the playoffs with the team they have, but I don't think anyone considered them a contender this season. It seemed mostly about keeping the team in the playoffs for when Leonard came back, which obviously never happened. They would need to retool with youth if they lose Kawhi. They have a lot of minutes going to players over 30. I get all of this is a non-issue if Leonard works out everything with SA and sticks around. Wiggins is unlikely to coexist well with Leonard. Wiggins will probably still see himself as the #1 option, even though Kawhi is more efficient, and Andrew isn't even remotely close to Leonard on defense.

    The question is, if SA blew it up and decided to put LMA on the market, who would be competing with us? Most teams could offer a better package than one centered around Wiggins, but would they for LMA? I think he actually fits what we are doing pretty good, so he makes sense here, but he is not as good a fit in a lot of the other teams in a similar position. Who else would be bidding? That would definitely affect how much value we would have to include.

    I also think that SA may be one of the franchises that could save Wiggins' career. They made Rudy Gay into a positive contributor. And there are many, many cases of "broken players" hitting Pop's system and becoming solid. Several of those players have flamed out when they have gone to other teams. It's the polar opposite of what we do. Anyone short of a superstar that comes to MN becomes a D-League talent, then when they leave MN they go back to being solid contributors to other teams. Since Wiggins was actually drafted by Cleveland, maybe he would have a good career somewhere else, and if any coach can get some positive production out of Andrew, it's Pop.


  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ Styles View Post

    The question is, if SA blew it up and decided to put LMA on the market, who would be competing with us? Most teams could offer a better package than one centered around Wiggins, but would they for LMA? I think he actually fits what we are doing pretty good, so he makes sense here, but he is not as good a fit in a lot of the other teams in a similar position. Who else would be bidding? That would definitely affect how much value we would have to include.
    I don't see him as a good fit. He'd help some in our interior defense, but more so because he's so big. He's not really a classic rim defender or a guy who is going to switch out onto the perimeter. And I think its going to hinder KAT's defensive development. Because as much as many people want a big guy in the center and for KAT to essentially play PF on defense, Towns doesn't have nearly quick enough feet to guard the perimeter. We'd be much better off if KAT would work on his base and get a lot stronger so he can hold his position in the paint.

    He doesn't help our spacing that much because he's going to do all his work inside the arc.

    We're an awful defensive rebounding team, and he's about as bad as Taj on the defensive glass.

    We would absolutely need to move Dieng (and maybe the pick) just to get a 2nd playable wing. As bad as Wiggins is, at least you know he can soak up 3000 minutes every year.

    And he's 33 and owed sizable money for 3 more seasons, so he doesn't even provide cap relief...



 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. LEvine

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •