Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by da_blueprint View Post
    CC, you're right to pick nits with me on this. I don't mean that it's a job requirement per se, and I shouldn't have stated it as adamantly as I did. It just seems to me that that's how coverage of the league occurs now (e.g., with most of the coverage happening initially via twitter). All the important NBA journalists subsist on social media; many (if not most) prominent players too.

My point isn't to say that social media is THE definitive platform for NBA news and coverage. It's just that I believe a front office professional would be seen as naive at best, and negligent at worst, if they completely ignored the impact of social media and amount of activity regarding the NBA that occurs via those forums.
    I don't think a player needs to be on social media. I don't think an executive does either.

Reporters? Media types? There's a bit more value in it but so many people are absolutely idiotic about how they use social media.

Woj is smart - he just broadcasts info. He doesn't get into hot take debate.

Part of where my angst with social stems from is "tweets as news" "journalism" where ESPN, cable news, etc. amplify the stupid at the expense of the smart. It isn't just politics...but some of the headlines from ESPN during the playoffs regarding Twitter reaction were cringe-worthy. That's not reporting...that's lazy.

If I'm a player or coach or exec and in the public eye - I would probably have two accounts if I were doing social (and I'm not sure I would). One that's for public consumption but a second, locked down private account for my friends and family. I know a few of my friends who are in the media do this now.
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...

Quote Originally Posted by The Country Club View Post
    I don't think a player needs to be on social media. I don't think an executive does either.

Reporters? Media types? There's a bit more value in it but so many people are absolutely idiotic about how they use social media.

Woj is smart - he just broadcasts info. He doesn't get into hot take debate.

Part of where my angst with social stems from is "tweets as news" "journalism" where ESPN, cable news, etc. amplify the stupid at the expense of the smart. It isn't just politics...but some of the headlines from ESPN during the playoffs regarding Twitter reaction were cringe-worthy. That's not reporting...that's lazy.

If I'm a player or coach or exec and in the public eye - I would probably have two accounts if I were doing social (and I'm not sure I would). One that's for public consumption but a second, locked down private account for my friends and family. I know a few of my friends who are in the media do this now.
    I don't disagree with any of this. But my point is-- Colangelo's supposed use of social media wasn't wrong (remember, his official explanation is that he owned only one account, which never tweeted, and was used only to be aware of league goings-on via social media). What Colangelo did wrong is being egotistical and a jerk, and unable to set proper boundaries on how and where to express his behavior. The fact that that behavior was displayed via social media is besides the point.

My point here is: social media didn't DO anything in this debacle. Colangelo did. Twitter didn't mess up. Colangelo did.

I'm not saying that discussions of social media's ills should be off limits. Because there for sure are many, many ills related to social media. Just don't shed any tears for Colangelo on account of social media's impact on society right now. This is all, 100% Colangelo's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by da_blueprint View Post
    My point here is: social media didn't DO anything in this debacle. Colangelo did. Twitter didn't mess up. Colangelo did.

I'm not saying that discussions of social media's ills should be off limits. Because there for sure are many, many ills related to social media. Just don't shed any tears for Colangelo on account of social media's impact on society right now. This is all, 100% Colangelo's fault.
    I agree.

But I do think it's fair to have a larger conversation about the amplification and legitimacy given to social media as well when most of what gets amplified (not all but >50%) is garbage.

I agree.

But I do think it's fair to have a larger conversation about the amplification and legitimacy given to social media as well when most of what gets amplified (not all but >50%) is garbage.
    Fo sho!

I agree.

So I think a few things are worthwhile in this technical age. I think podcasts are important- but there are a whole lot of them. A good podcast gets beyond the "hot takes" and gets down and deep into various issues.
    For example, while Adam Silver says he encourages the NBA athletes to speak their minds- it is ALSO expected that every player stand for the anthem. (Abdul-Rauf was famously fined and suspended for sitting for the anthem a few years back.)

I think TEAM twitter accounts are worthwhile- but they should be run by the PR dept.

Should a player have their own twitter account- that's up to them- but it does not necessarily reflect the team's view.

One of the biggest PROBLEMS with today's news- or even sports news. Is we the consumers of news- have trouble distinguishing between the "news" dept of a publication, or a broadcast partner and the editorial dept.

Sometimes because people get hired as contributors to broadcast stations - they do provide their hot takes- and opinions- when they really are largely a news person.
    This can be true in BOTH politics and sports. When Jon Krawzinski from the Athletic is on Dan Barreiro's broadcast he is giving BOTH news and opinions.

When he used to write an article for the AP he was supposed to say straight news.

Ok- I tried to keep this out of politics- but strayed there. Willing to let anyone else give their opionion here.
    Last edited by Ms. Wolf; 06-11-2018 at 03:08 PM.
    R-E-S-P-E-C-T find out what it means to me!

Social media is a tool. Some people figure out how to use it for their benefit. Other people get used by it.

Off the court, the NBA is my soap opera - so I personally enjoy rumors, quips, and insights that can be found in places like r/nba, Twitter, HoopsHype, and this board. I think the fact that we could see Ben Simmons recruiting KAT to play PUBG with him on Twitch, talking trash about the Hawks the night before KAT dropped 56 and 15 on them is pretty amazing. And I really enjoy that fans have that level of access, honestly.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...me-stream/amp/

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Wolf View Post
    So I think a few things are worthwhile in this technical age. I think podcasts are important- but there are a whole lot of them. A good podcast gets beyond the "hot takes" and gets down and deep into various issues.
    For example, while Adam Silver says he encourages the NBA athletes to speak their minds- it is ALSO expected that every player stand for the anthem. (Abdul-Rauf was famously fined and suspended for sitting for the anthem a few years back.)

I think TEAM twitter accounts are worthwhile- but they should be run by the PR dept.

Should a player have their own twitter account- that's up to them- but it does not necessarily reflect the team's view.

One of the biggest PROBLEMS with today's news- or even sports news. Is we the consumers of news- have trouble distinguishing between the "news" dept of a publication, or a broadcast partner and the editorial dept.

Sometimes because people get hired as contributors to broadcast stations - they do provide their hot takes- and opinions- when they really are largely a news person.
    This can be true in BOTH politics and sports. When Jon Krawzinski from the Athletic is on Dan Barreiro's broadcast he is giving BOTH news and opinions.

When he used to write an article for the AP he was supposed to say straight news.

Ok- I tried to keep this out of politics- but strayed there. Willing to let anyone else give their opionion here.[
    /QUOTE]
    Welcome back Ms Wolf. Always happy to hear what you have to say even if I disagree with it. You are a fair minded person that the world could use more of.

I brought up the social media subject to begin with because I see so much hatred being voiced through it. The Colangelo thing was just a part of it. The hatred has to stop in all it's forms. That's enough for me. Best to all. BTW, what do I do with my dislike of Thibs coaching?? I'm working on that one.

[QUOTE=Nick K;420390]
    Welcome back Ms Wolf. Always happy to hear what you have to say even if I disagree with it. You are a fair minded person that the world could use more of.

I brought up the social media subject to begin with because I see so much hatred being voiced through it. The Colangelo thing was just a part of it. The hatred has to stop in all it's forms. That's enough for me. Best to all. BTW, what do I do with my dislike of Thibs coaching?? I'm working on that one.
    Oh- I imagine most folks on this board can't stand Thibs coaching. So you are probably in a "safe zone" for expressing your frustrations. (I think most sportsfans boards are basically a bunch of fans screaming about how things suck.) Except for Warriors fans these days.

By the way- Country Club and I have a long thread on Messenger where we discuss books, the state of politics, how he hates Cable News, etc.
    I also want everyone to be aware my first post on Minnesota Sportsfans CC and I got into a long argument- we don't see eye to eye all the time, but have found a lot of common ground over the years.

Feel free to argue out your point on this. I'm curious why it's "just part of the business now"...nobody has to be on it. People choose to be.
    This is like smoking used to be: you didn't have to smoke, but a lot of important things were discussed during a smoke break in the smoking room. If you were a non-smoker, which was the sensible, correct thing to do, you were left out. If your job was to be up to date and informed on everything, you had to be in the smoking room too. And being there and not smoking would have been wrong...

Now that I wrote about this, I think there was a Seinfeld or Friends episode on this topic... man I'm getting old!
    Truth is not determined by how many believe it!

Quote Originally Posted by BIG BAD WOLF View Post
    This is like smoking used to be: you didn't have to smoke, but a lot of important things were discussed during a smoke break in the smoking room. If you were a non-smoker, which was the sensible, correct thing to do, you were left out. If your job was to be up to date and informed on everything, you had to be in the smoking room too. And being there and not smoking would have been wrong...

Now that I wrote about this, I think there was a Seinfeld or Friends episode on this topic... man I'm getting old!
    You're getting old??? You're talking about Seinfeld and Friends, I'm talking about All in the Family!

This topic actually came up separately recently for me, and I have to say I think there are two pieces to the puzzle that don't really jive with each other.

Companies (especially the media) think they need to have the scoop. They feel the thing that is most important is being first.

As a consumer, I really don't care if I hear the news right now or 20 minutes from now (or 20 days from now); what I want is the information to be accurate.

Of course, ideally things would be both fast and accurate, but if one has to give, it should be the speed. There are consumers who want it faster and don't care about the accuracy, but I think for the fans that are consumers of sport-related data, they want the accuracy first. We post things on here all of the time from one source or the other and there always seems to be a discussion about the reliability of the source. I realize that nobody here is a "casual fan", but I can't see a "casual fan" following a sports writer's twitter feed, or caring if they got the "scoop" about a player's free agency decisions, either. A "casual fan" would likely be much more concerned about the information being correct. If I only expend a small portion of energy on keeping up with a sport, I would want that energy being expended on digesting correct information rather than following "fake news".

To me, I think there is a disconnect between what people really want and what the providers of content think they want.

I will say that the situation is different for the players than the staff. For players (and other celebrities), social media offers a whole different way of connecting to their fans and building their brand. I understand why they engage in social media. It is much less clear to me why a GM or President of Basketball Operations feels the need to tweet with fans. Most companies have people who do exactly that who are trained in what is appropriate to say and what is not.

It's like the old adage "Everyone does it."

As I tell my wife if everyone jumped off of a cliff, is that a smart thing to do?

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Styles View Post
    Most companies have people who do exactly that who are trained in what is appropriate to say and what is not.
    You would think that to be the case but there are way too many examples where companies f this up. But that said, even a place like Twitter is such a minefield because some idiot with a grievance can unleash a mob on a company for something that 15 years ago would have been handled with an email and/or phone call.

You would think that to be the case but there are way too many examples where companies f this up. But that said, even a place like Twitter is such a minefield because some idiot with a grievance can unleash a mob on a company for something that 15 years ago would have been handled with an email and/or phone call.
    Yeah, it is very, very easy to make a mistake in social media these days. Just like on these boards, even though we are talking about very specific things, very often we misinterpret what someone says and take some offense to it. When you have millions of people dissecting every aspect of your tweet, it is many times harder. That is why so many of my posts are so verbose. The less room I leave for individual interpretation the less likely it is someone will take a different meaning from what I am saying than what I intend. Doesn't even work then.

To make things worse, it seems that people are generally more sensitive today than they were even 10 years ago, and things like Twitter allow loud minorities with strong opinions to be heard by lots of people. The example I think of is Ariana Grande licking a donut on social media a few years back and the explosion of bad publicity that lead to. At the end of the day, I find it hard to believe that more than 1 in 100 people actually cared at all about the incident, but it was all you heard about for days. And there were a small amount of people who were really vocal about it creating a much bigger issue than there really was. I am morbidly obese and I have been for about 17 years now. If I am offended because someone licked a donut, that is on me. I can't see myself actually expending energy on being upset about that. But, Twitter and Facebook and all the rest of these apps make it easy to "make noise". That is why I actually think it is better that most people within a company like an NBA team should avoid using social media in a "official capacity" (or in an "unofficial but work-related capacity", like Colangelo sort of did here). Players reaching out to fans? Sure, that is great and is usually a positive interaction. I really can't see a scenario where it's a good risk:reward proposition for an executive to be tweeting about work-related stuff for an NBA team.

My daughter had something like this happen. She asked some people standing in front of the door of the shop to please move so other customers could come in. She used the word- "loitering" and the folks got ****ed off. She ended up being reprimanded for trying to uphold a store policy because of word choice. The people immediately left and give a really bad review on Yelp or FB- and said 'she threw them out." SHe did not.

Now this did not arise from her use of social media- but from the store's use of social media. Now if my daughter was in a nasty mood she could then go back and have a social media war with the store through proxies.

HOw many of you have yelled when Glen Taylor has been interviewed and thought- "Shut the %%&^ Up" Glen?

Raise hand almost all of you-

How many are Glad Glen is not active on Twitter?

Mark Cuban is active on Twitter- (One could say it's an extension of his Blogmaverick- but it also fits with Sharktank.

Steve Kerr's twitter account is riddled with a lot of interesting tidbits. (Just sayin')

Actually it would be interesting to see what sports teams execs are on twitter and what they tweet about.

As I tell my wife if everyone jumped off of a cliff, is that a smart thing to do?
    Well, if the name of the game is who gets to the bottom first, you can go for the tried and true way of taking the switchbacks and slog it thru, or take the plunge. Sure by jumping you have a 99.9% chance of dying, but just in case you don't, you win! High risk, high reward!

Today's media savvy consumers have the luxury of selecting their news source based on their required accuracy/timeliness balance. In the world of BC and the rest of the NBA GMs, things happen very fast and they have to select their sources based on the speed of the delivery rather than accuracy of content.

What can say, JimmyJohn's is no steak, but it is freaky fast!
    Truth is not determined by how many believe it!

It's the reason I dislike twitter. People are crazy and one small thing explodes into nuclear weapons. CEO of Twitter himself was hammered this weekend.
    Publicity, fame and accolades can make a theory popular. They can't make it true.

Well, if the name of the game is who gets to the bottom first, you can go for the tried and true way of taking the switchbacks and slog it thru, or take the plunge. Sure by jumping you have a 99.9% chance of dying, but just in case you don't, you win! High risk, high reward!
    Today's media savvy consumers have the luxury of selecting their news source based on their required accuracy/timeliness balance. In the world of BC and the rest of the NBA GMs, things happen very fast and they have to select their sources based on the speed of the delivery rather than accuracy of content.

What can say, JimmyJohn's is no steak, but it is freaky fast!
    Love it!

Thread Information