Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 916171819
    Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    Okafor signs with the Pelicans.

A source told ESPN that Okafor's deal includes a partial guarantee for the 2018-19 season and a team option for the following season.

Continues the hard fall of the #3 pick of 2015.
    Ouch. If he were a Wolf he probably would have had a max deal though!
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...

Woj reporting that Noah is on track for waive and stretch in September. Should we write his name in pencil or ink on the depth chart?

If the Wolves could flip G for a wing, I wouldn't hate Noah for the minimum, but that's unlikely. Adding Noah likely only further depresses G's value.

Quote Originally Posted by dschroeder01 View Post
    Woj reporting that Noah is on track for waive and stretch in September. Should we write his name in pencil or ink on the depth chart?

If the Wolves could flip G for a wing, I wouldn't hate Noah for the minimum, but that's unlikely. Adding Noah likely only further depresses G's value.
    Right now we only have 2 Centers, G and KAT. With Noah's injury history do you feel comfortable losing G? I would bring Noah in as a 3rd Center and play him situational though.

Late in the 4th qtr I can see Noah and Towns playing well together.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    Right now we only have 2 Centers, G and KAT. With Noah's injury history do you feel comfortable losing G? I would bring Noah in as a 3rd Center and play him situational though.

Late in the 4th qtr I can see Noah and Towns playing well together.
    This may be true in a very black-and-white / textbook definition of "Center position" type of way. But if you think of it more as needing minutes from "bigs" then Taj can easily cover some minutes too. And more broadly, teams are relying less and less on traditional Centers anyway, so we should easily be able to get away with spot minutes where we play small, without a traditional center (not to mention hopefully, someday, Justin Patton will be able to crack the rotation too).

Another way to think of this is-- our Center rotation went three-deep last year, with Cole on the roster. And yet Aldrich never received minutes outside of garbage time. That effectively means we don't need to be worrying about our Center rotation being occupied by three pure centers.

Further, late in the 4th quarter is when teams are most willing to go small and rely on spacing and outside shooting. Playing Noah and Towns together would absolutely cripple Towns's ability to occupy the block. Noah's range barely extended past 3 ft when he was healthy, and he hasn't been healthy in two years. It's hard for me to think of times in the game where playing Towns & Noah together would be more damaging.

Lastly, the NBA is flush with centers right now. If we do manage to get out from G's contract, I would have no problem looking to waiver wire type dudes to fill in. Keep in mind: Greg Monroe just signed a minimum contract. Amile Jefferson signed a two-way contract with Magic. Guys that can cover 5-10 minutes at the 5-spot are readily available.

Quote Originally Posted by da_blueprint View Post
    This may be true in a very black-and-white / textbook definition of "Center position" type of way. But if you think of it more as needing minutes from "bigs" then Taj can easily cover some minutes too. And more broadly, teams are relying less and less on traditional Centers anyway, so we should easily be able to get away with spot minutes where we play small, without a traditional center (not to mention hopefully, someday, Justin Patton will be able to crack the rotation too).

Another way to think of this is-- our Center rotation went three-deep last year, with Cole on the roster. And yet Aldrich never received minutes outside of garbage time. That effectively means we don't need to be worrying about our Center rotation being occupied by three pure centers.

Further, late in the 4th quarter is when teams are most willing to go small and rely on spacing and outside shooting. Playing Noah and Towns together would absolutely cripple Towns's ability to occupy the block. Noah's range barely extended past 3 ft when he was healthy, and he hasn't been healthy in two years. It's hard for me to think of times in the game where playing Towns & Noah together would be more damaging.

Lastly, the NBA is flush with centers right now. If we do manage to get out from G's contract, I would have no problem looking to waiver wire type dudes to fill in. Keep in mind: Greg Monroe just signed a minimum contract. Amile Jefferson signed a two-way contract with Magic. Guys that can cover 5-10 minutes at the 5-spot are readily available.
    Tolliver would be much better served as a backup 5 then a backup 3 as well. If we can find a taker for G and it brings back a wing, move him in a heartbeat.

I dont want Noah. But unfortunatly I think you can pencil him in. Thibs is intent on putting the band back together even if they cant sing or play anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Tolliver would be much better served as a backup 5 then a backup 3 as well. If we can find a taker for G and it brings back a wing, move him in a heartbeat.
    Cory, we are of the same mind

https://www.businessinsider.com/kyri...ks-nets-2018-8

Two league sources told Business Insider that there is a buzz about the Boston Celtics' Kyrie Irving and the Minnesota Timberwolves' Jimmy Butler teaming up next summer, with one source saying the chatter is "substantial."
    The article continues with speculation on the Nets and Knicks as being well positioned to land them.

https://www.businessinsider.com/kyri...ks-nets-2018-8

The article continues with speculation on the Nets and Knicks as being well positioned to land them.
    I've been saying for a while that I expect them both to end up in Brooklyn. It makes a lot of sense.

• They supposedly have wanted to play together since Team USA.
    • Kyrie is a NY kid.
    • The Nets have been clearing room to sign a couple Max players.
    • The Nets have quietly put together a really solid front office and coaching staff.
    • The Nets have a bunch of nice roleplayers/complimentary guys, but are lacking stars.

Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    I've been saying for a while that I expect them both to end up in Brooklyn. It makes a lot of sense.

• They supposedly have wanted to play together since Team USA.
    • Kyrie is a NY kid.
    • The Nets have been clearing room to sign a couple Max players.
    • The Nets have quietly put together a really solid front office and coaching staff.
    • The Nets have a bunch of nice roleplayers/complimentary guys, but are lacking stars.
    I would agree that Brooklyn is a likely spot. It's NY and the coaching staff and FO look solid. Most of their complementary guys are expiring contracts though. Crabbe, Harris and Napier and several guys on rookie deals aren't exactly a full cupboard of complementary talent. It's the East though and they could likely get a big on the cheap to fill out the roster more. Regardless of whether it's Brooklyn or somewhere else, it does seem like there are some heavy footsteps that Jimmy is leaving. I'm already the dreading the "rebuild around KAT and Wiggins" mantra that will come out of TC after Butler leaves. At least Thibs will likely be gone in this scenario...hopefully.

I would agree that Brooklyn is a likely spot. It's NY and the coaching staff and FO look solid. Most of their complementary guys are expiring contracts though. Crabbe, Harris and Napier and several guys on rookie deals aren't exactly a full cupboard of complementary talent. It's the East though and they could likely get a big on the cheap to fill out the roster more. Regardless of whether it's Brooklyn or somewhere else, it does seem like there are some heavy footsteps that Jimmy is leaving. I'm already the dreading the "rebuild around KAT and Wiggins" mantra that will come out of TC after Butler leaves. At least Thibs will likely be gone in this scenario...hopefully.
    I'm not sure the surrounding cast matters THAT much. I think if Butler and Irving are the #1 and #2 guys on the team, they're no better than a 4 seed in the East. They're definitely not beating a healthy Boston or Philly.

Thread Information