Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    No matter what this team does it isn’t likely that Okogie and Bates Diop will be anything more than role players. Maybe they will be pretty good role players but I am expecting more 4th starter type out of Okogie and 7th or 8th man out of Bates-Diop. If we get more than that it would be the best draft we have had when factoring in where the picks were taken.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

“Statistics are no substitute for judgment”
    Henry Clay

Gonna speculate that if Wiggins was a RFA right now he probably would have not earned more than $20 mil per year (and quite possibly less) given the market and the Wolves' cap situation long term. While it's still a nasty contract, it's still less than what Taylor gave him.
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...

Quote Originally Posted by The Country Club View Post
    Gonna speculate that if Wiggins was a RFA right now he probably would have not earned more than $20 mil per year (and quite possibly less) given the market and the Wolves' cap situation long term. While it's still a nasty contract, it's still less than what Taylor gave him.
    He would be in the exact same spot as Zach Lavine and Jabari Parker.

Glen desperately needs someone that is schooled in contracts and with a deep knowledge of NBA practices to run the team. That person has never existed in this franchise and it shows. We routinely get worked over and give up negotiating power and leverage because Glen does business the old school way or trusts people that he should not. The Rockets and Celtics are the biggest examples of franchises that maximize every bit of leverage they have and at the end of the day, the players know it's a business when you deal with them. It sometimes creates hard feelings but no more so than a franchise run really poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by The Country Club View Post
    And even if some team offered him a Max - and we felt we needed to match it, it would still be 4 years at less money...

Quote Originally Posted by BoneCrusher View Post
    Wiggins will be gone and the rebuild will be around Kat, Okogie, and Bates-Diop. Taylor got who the people wanted for coach. Everyone (except a few of us) wanted Thibs. Blaming Taylor for this is a little shortsighted.
    I don't necessarily blame Taylor for hiring Thibs, I blame him for not admitting his huge mistake and not firing him.

I think it would be awesome to see Eric Musselman come in and put KAT in an uptempo style. If we still had Wiggins at that point, he could have some low end Rudy Gay type years which would at least get some value out of him. We need a lot more shooting though but I think Tyus could be the starting PG and excel in that type of a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    I don't necessarily blame Taylor for hiring Thibs, I blame him for not admitting his huge mistake and not firing him.
    TOO MUCH MONEY! I think Thibs is owed another 24mil, and if you fired him, you would have to bring in TWO other highly compensated guys to replace him. Looking at how the arms race is going on the West, even the most astute minds in the league would have a hard time taking this roster and the flexibility they have now, that much further than Thibs could. So, Glen would have to pay upwards of 30mil to replace Thibs, and likely a lot of tax money for the next guy to "fix" Thibs' mess, and MIN would still be bounced in the first round next year...

Thibs is the kind of guy who will cut his nose to spite his face! By insisting Wiggs be extended for a max last year, Glen sealed his own faith. Thibs will not allow Wiggs or Belly to have a normal progression just like he didn't allow Ricky to do so for the simple reason they do not play his style. His brand of basketball is like 5X5 football played with a round ball: no passing, on-on-one isos, overpowering the guy in front of you, aggressive defensive coverage. Tyus is the next guy in this roster who doesn't look and act as a football player, and he will be gone soon too! It is my impression Thibs would be happier with 5 tall NFL players than the roster as is.
    Truth is not determined by how many believe it!

Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    And even if some team offered him a Max - and we felt we needed to match it, it would still be 4 years at less money...
    It'll be interesting to see what all the RFAs from that class get this summer. I think it was Lowe that suggested something for Capela where Houston gives him the same money he could get signing with someone else next summer on a 4 year max, but giving him the equivalent raise for this year rather than him having to take the qualifying offer. Capela makes out better than taking the QO and then leaving next summer and Houston doesn't pay the full max.

Dealing with these RFAs is tricky as there's really no market for a lot of them and teams are basically negotiating against "disrespecting" the player. These guys aren't max players, but they all think they are and not giving them the max is perceived as a huge slight. The Wolves experienced this with Pek back in the day. We gave him a full 5 year, $60M deal when we were negotiating against ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG BAD WOLF View Post
    TOO MUCH MONEY! I think Thibs is owed another 24mil, and if you fired him, you would have to bring in TWO other highly compensated guys to replace him. Looking at how the arms race is going on the West, even the most astute minds in the league would have a hard time taking this roster and the flexibility they have now, that much further than Thibs could. So, Glen would have to pay upwards of 30mil to replace Thibs, and likely a lot of tax money for the next guy to "fix" Thibs' mess, and MIN would still be bounced in the first round next year...

Thibs is the kind of guy who will cut his nose to spite his face! By insisting Wiggs be extended for a max last year, Glen sealed his own faith. Thibs will not allow Wiggs or Belly to have a normal progression just like he didn't allow Ricky to do so for the simple reason they do not play his style. His brand of basketball is like 5X5 football played with a round ball: no passing, on-on-one isos, overpowering the guy in front of you, aggressive defensive coverage. Tyus is the next guy in this roster who doesn't look and act as a football player, and he will be gone soon too! It is my impression Thibs would be happier with 5 tall NFL players than the roster as is.
    He can more than afford it. Sometimes you have to make tough decisions.

Thread Information