Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

The Escobar trade & the clown show of the Twins' org

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...innesota-twins

Two sources said the popular Escobar learned of the trade on television in the Twins clubhouse before the medical reviews were complete, and he was brought into manager Paul Molitor's office and told the reports were accurate.

The trade inadvertently leaked in the media before it was official, the sources said.
    That's pretty damn poor from the Twins to not tell Escobar that a trade was going down before he finds out on TV. I figured the Twins were sellers this year but you gotta do better when managing a trade.
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...

In all fairness, someone broke the story before they had a chance to. Do you think they held out telling him? There had not even been the required physical for the trade to be agreed to yet.

The bigger question is why would they trade away Escobar and Pressly for so little in return. Mid-level prospects who will never see the MLB. And a ton of OF that we already are swamped at as a position.
    Trading away Pressly for garbage was an insult. He is the only reliable reliever they had. We need bullpen depth. So they get rid of it.
    That is clown organization moves.

Quote Originally Posted by StretchArmstrong View Post
    In all fairness, someone broke the story before they had a chance to.
    There's no excuse for either ARI or MIN (or MLB) to leak it prior to the players getting told. The teams have to be better on that.

The July deadline trades are usually salary dumps where you get little in return. It is what it is.
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...

We don't know who leaked it, for all we know it was Escobars agent.
    I get that with Escobar you trade him when he is playing his best season and who will be a FA and not likely resigned.

But, Pressly did not have a large salary at 1.5 million.
    What will the Twins do with it? Go out and sign some other bottom barrel average pitcher to see if they can be something different?

It wouldn't surprise me if the Twins re-signed Escobar next year. Pressly....no.

Pressly will not be a FA yet. That is why it made no sense to trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if the Twins re-signed Escobar next year. Pressly....no.

Twins got a great deal for Pressley the extra year he has on his contract helped with that. This young pitcher we added could be a future top 3 of the rotation guy or our next great closer. The outfielder has all the tools to be a starter at the major league level. Pressley is having a great year but hasn’t been that great before so sell high. We are not winning this year and we can replace him in the offseason if need be. This was a no brainer in my opinnion.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

“Statistics are no substitute for judgment”
    Henry Clay

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf on the Prowl View Post
    Twins got a great deal for Pressley the extra year he has on his contract helped with that. This young pitcher we added could be a future top 3 of the rotation guy or our next great closer. The outfielder has all the tools to be a starter at the major league level. Pressley is having a great year but hasn’t been that great before so sell high. We are not winning this year and we can replace him in the offseason if need be. This was a no brainer in my opinnion.
    All makes good sense. I like the outlook! I have faith in Falvey and Levine. They seem to run more players through this organization than I can remember, and make fast decisions. I like that. They seem to know what they are looking for.....or at least I hope so.

I have not seen anything that gives me a ton of hope but it’s early.
    It doesn’t matter if you are a king or street sweeper pretty soon you will dance with the reaper!

Its better to be silent and everyone think your an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

“Statistics are no substitute for judgment”
    Henry Clay

One writers perspective:

Minnesota Twins | Grade: A-

Traded RHP Ryan Pressly to Astros for RHP Jorge Alcala and OF Gilberto Celestino.
    Traded 2B Brian Dozier to Dodgers for 2B Logan Forsythe, 1B/OF Luke Raley and LHP Devin Smeltzer.
    Traded INF Eduardo Escobar to Diamondbacks for RHP Jhoan Duran, OF Ernie De LA Trinidad and OF Gabriel Maciel.
    Traded LHP Zach Duke to Mariners for RHP Chase De Jong and 1B/3B Ryan Costello.
    Traded RHP Lance Lynn to Yankees for 1B Tyler Austin and RHP Luis Rijo.
    Acquired OF Jeremy Hazelbaker from Rays for cash considerations.
    Acquired 1B Chris Carter from Angels for cash considerations.

The Twins did an exceptional job in acquiring 10 legitimate prospects at the deadline for players who were either on their free-agent walk years or were set-up relievers. The ability to get both quantity and quality in their four key trades with Houston, Arizona, Seattle and New York bodes well for their farm system and proves once again that the Twins baseball leadership is in great hands with chief baseball officer Derek Falvey and GM Thad Levine.

The writer is focused on the quantity, buying into the Twins PR machine.
    There is one Quality player out of that 10.

Thread Information