Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

James Nunnally Welcome To Minnesota ! - The Next Star of The Timberwolves

hey
    Im from europe and i made especialy for Timberwolves fans a video of nunnally from the past season, i dont know other forums of the Timberwolves so i will be very happy if you can share my video to other Timberwolves fans.
    thank you and enjoy !!

Welcome aboard. If he shoots anywhere near his 55% clip from 3, we'll all be happy. I think we would accept high quality role player but star would also work. He's an upgrade over MGH last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Welcome aboard. If he shoots anywhere near his 55% clip from 3, we'll all be happy. I think we would accept high quality role player but star would also work. He's an upgrade over MGH last year.
    Seems like a good fit. Hopefully he can earn and get some regular minutes.

If he can break 40% from 3 it will add further spacing to our offense.

https://sports.yahoo.com/meet-undraf...142509575.html

Nunnally has taken 400 3-pointers over 120 games between the Turkish and Euro leagues the past two seasons, and he’s made more than half of them. There’s a statistical case to be made he’s the world’s most accurate professional shooter right now, and the 3-obsessed NBA is taking notice.

Granted, the leagues are different, and the 3-point line is, too (23 feet, 9 inches, in the NBA, compared to 22 feet, 1 3/4 inches in FIBA play). But Nunnally produced a true shooting percentage hovering around 70 percent — a number that would have led the NBA. He can shoot off the dribble, around screens or set up in a corner. One look at his film will show a 6-foot-7 athlete who can serve as a pick-and-roll playmaker, scoring at all three levels and adding a couple assists per 36 minutes. He also defends three positions, drawing the likes of Doncic on occasion this season.

Pretty good offseason for Thibs.

Drafted the guy I wanted, now signed the guy I wanted (From July 3rd):

Quote Originally Posted by LEvine View Post
    Let's get this guy:

Meet the undrafted American in Europe drawing intrigue from smart NBA teams

The NBA is the dream. The NBA has always been the dream, and more than four years since he last played out a late-season 10-day contract, James Nunnally is on the precipice again.

Nunnally was between NBA workouts this past weekend. Minnesota Timberwolves coach and president of basketball operations Tom Thibodeau ran him through his wringer recently, and Portland Trail Blazers general manager Neil Olshey worked him out last week. He met with Houston Rockets GM Daryl Morey on Sunday, and he’s got two more workouts scheduled with teams this week.

In two years on one of Europe’s top teams, he owns the second-best 3-point percentage in EuroLeague history (50.7 percent), only a hair behind former Ohio State standout Jon Diebler. A year after helping Fenerbahce to the EuroLeague title, he shot 55.4 percent on almost three 3-point attempts per game this past season — the best high-volume percentage in the league.

Nunnally has taken 400 3-pointers over 120 games between the Turkish and Euro leagues the past two seasons, and he’s made more than half of them. There’s a statistical case to be made he’s the world’s most accurate professional shooter right now, and the 3-obsessed NBA is taking notice.

Granted, the leagues are different, and the 3-point line is, too (23 feet, 9 inches, in the NBA, compared to 22 feet, 1 3/4 inches in FIBA play). But Nunnally produced a true shooting percentage hovering around 70 percent — a number that would have led the NBA. He can shoot off the dribble, around screens or set up in a corner. One look at his film will show a 6-foot-7 athlete who can serve as a pick-and-roll playmaker, scoring at all three levels and adding a couple assists per 36 minutes. He also defends three positions, drawing the likes of Doncic on occasion this season.

“I feel like I’ve defended all the best players in Europe,” he said. The man lacks no confidence.

Way more at the link:

https://sports.yahoo.com/meet-undraf...142509575.html

His shooting form and follow thru reminds me of Ray Allen.

James Nunnally Scouting Report

CONTEXT

James Nunnally is a 27-year-old veteran who is expected to sign with an NBA team this offseason after spending his six years as a pro accumulating 7,204 minutes of experience in the G-League, the Greek HEBA 1, the Puerto Rican BSN, the Israeli BSL, the Spanish ACB, the Italian Lega A, the Turkish BSL and the Euroleague.

Most recently, the six-foot-seven sharpshooter averaged 18.8 points per 40 minutes on 67% effective shooting and compiled an 18.3 PER in 56 appearances for Fenerbahçe last season, as a key cog on the team that won the Turkish BSL and made it to the Euroleague title game.

His primary role on offense was as a weak-side floor-spacer – logging just 20.2% usage rate and taking 54.5% of his live-ball attempts from three-point range, though the Stockton, California native also proved he is able to run side pick-and-roll to keep the offense moving, turn the corner off a hand-off and post up smaller matchups in a pinch.

On the other end, he acted as a weak-side defender for the most part and proved he can be relied on to execute the scheme but Fenerbahçe switched quite aggressively towards the end of the season, so the University of California at Santa Barbara alum also got to defend smaller players somewhat regularly, which he didn’t prove to be particularly well-suited for.

SHOOTING

Nunnally fully extends himself for a high release and has a quick enough trigger to get his catch-and-shoot three-pointers off prior to closeouts, though he didn’t seem as capable when a lengthy defender forced him to rush through his mechanics.

He took some shots relocating after getting into the lane and kicking out, as well as drifting around the wing and to the corner. Nunnally also looks good taking one-dribble pull-ups off an escape dribble against flyby closeouts.

But his best work is still off spot-ups, as he hasn’t shown to have the body flexibility and a dynamic enough release to be asked to take tough shots on the move often.

Nunnally nailed 45.4% of his 847 three-point shots over the last five seasons, at a pace of 6.8 such attempts per 40 minutes, including 52% of his 400 looks from beyond the arc these past couple of years. He also hit 86.8% of his 448 free throws during the five-year span.

OFF DRIBBLE OFFENSE

Nunnally can run side pick-and-roll to keep the offense moving and proved adept at taking dribble-in pull-ups off hop footwork and snaking his way around the screen to create separation for step-back pull-ups.

He keeps his dribble alive and also showed enough court vision to make crosscourt passes to the opposite side – assisting on 13.9% of Fenerbahçe’s scores when he was on the floor last season.

Nunnally can get all the way to the basket on straight line drives curling off dribble-handoffs. Though he is not an explosive leaper off one foot or two feet in traffic and can act as an up-and-down finisher, Nunnally can over-extend for finger-roll layups, proved to be strong enough to finish on his way down and has a running floater to score over length from the in-between area.

He also flashed the ability to dribble into post-ups against smaller matchups, most often looking to pass out of it to a shooter sprinting to an open spot or set up a basic turnaround lean-in jumper.

DEFENSE

Nunnally does OK defending his own position for the most part.

He can bend his knees to get down in a stance, has multiple lateral slides in him to stay in front of similarly sized players in isolation and can use the strength in his 220-pound frame to play stout post defense against power wings – suggesting he could be an option to steal some minutes as the second biggest player on the floor in smaller lineups, which he wasn’t asked to do at Fenerbahçe.

Nunally also proved he can be relied on to stunt-and-recover when Fenerbahçe had its big men hedging against the pick-and-roll and can use his length to get into passing lanes for some takeaways – averaging 1.4 steals per 40 minutes last season.

His contribution on the glass was fairly disappointing, though – as he collected just 11% of opponents’ misses when he was on the floor last season. He struggles to chase shooters off screens as well – lacking the foot speed and the type of body frame suited to slide around picks cleanly.

That also proved to be a problem when Nunnally picked up smaller players on switches. He bends his knees to get down in a stance but is unable to go over screens at the point of attack, gets blown by an unsettling amount in isolation and doesn’t hustle in pursuit to try challenging shots and passes from behind.

https://basketballscouting.wordpress...outing-report/

Do we ever need you to be right on these two guys Levine. I'm holding you to it.

Nunnally is at the perfect age now with experience to help us. Don't ask him to do too much but let him do what he does well and he'll be ok. I just hope Thibs schemes right for this guy. He seems to do a lot of things well. At this point I'm all for a guy like this. He's finally got his shot to shine. I'm betting he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    Do we ever need you to be right on these two guys Levine. I'm holding you to it.

Nunnally is at the perfect age now with experience to help us. Don't ask him to do too much but let him do what he does well and he'll be ok. I just hope Thibs schemes right for this guy. He seems to do a lot of things well. At this point I'm all for a guy like this. He's finally got his shot to shine. I'm betting he does.
    I just hope Thibs plays him.

You know Butler and Wiggins are going to play 36-38 MPG - and Rose is likely to get 15-20 at SG.

Nunnally is likely going to be battling the rookies for the few remaining minutes.

James Nunnally Scouting Report

CONTEXT

James Nunnally is a 27-year-old veteran who is expected to sign with an NBA team this offseason after spending his six years as a pro accumulating 7,204 minutes of experience in the G-League, the Greek HEBA 1, the Puerto Rican BSN, the Israeli BSL, the Spanish ACB, the Italian Lega A, the Turkish BSL and the Euroleague.

Most recently, the six-foot-seven sharpshooter averaged 18.8 points per 40 minutes on 67% effective shooting and compiled an 18.3 PER in 56 appearances for Fenerbahçe last season, as a key cog on the team that won the Turkish BSL and made it to the Euroleague title game.

His primary role on offense was as a weak-side floor-spacer – logging just 20.2% usage rate and taking 54.5% of his live-ball attempts from three-point range, though the Stockton, California native also proved he is able to run side pick-and-roll to keep the offense moving, turn the corner off a hand-off and post up smaller matchups in a pinch.

On the other end, he acted as a weak-side defender for the most part and proved he can be relied on to execute the scheme but Fenerbahçe switched quite aggressively towards the end of the season, so the University of California at Santa Barbara alum also got to defend smaller players somewhat regularly, which he didn’t prove to be particularly well-suited for.

SHOOTING

Nunnally fully extends himself for a high release and has a quick enough trigger to get his catch-and-shoot three-pointers off prior to closeouts, though he didn’t seem as capable when a lengthy defender forced him to rush through his mechanics.

He took some shots relocating after getting into the lane and kicking out, as well as drifting around the wing and to the corner. Nunnally also looks good taking one-dribble pull-ups off an escape dribble against flyby closeouts.

But his best work is still off spot-ups, as he hasn’t shown to have the body flexibility and a dynamic enough release to be asked to take tough shots on the move often.

Nunnally nailed 45.4% of his 847 three-point shots over the last five seasons, at a pace of 6.8 such attempts per 40 minutes, including 52% of his 400 looks from beyond the arc these past couple of years. He also hit 86.8% of his 448 free throws during the five-year span.

OFF DRIBBLE OFFENSE

Nunnally can run side pick-and-roll to keep the offense moving and proved adept at taking dribble-in pull-ups off hop footwork and snaking his way around the screen to create separation for step-back pull-ups.

He keeps his dribble alive and also showed enough court vision to make crosscourt passes to the opposite side – assisting on 13.9% of Fenerbahçe’s scores when he was on the floor last season.

Nunnally can get all the way to the basket on straight line drives curling off dribble-handoffs. Though he is not an explosive leaper off one foot or two feet in traffic and can act as an up-and-down finisher, Nunnally can over-extend for finger-roll layups, proved to be strong enough to finish on his way down and has a running floater to score over length from the in-between area.

He also flashed the ability to dribble into post-ups against smaller matchups, most often looking to pass out of it to a shooter sprinting to an open spot or set up a basic turnaround lean-in jumper.

DEFENSE

Nunnally does OK defending his own position for the most part.

He can bend his knees to get down in a stance, has multiple lateral slides in him to stay in front of similarly sized players in isolation and can use the strength in his 220-pound frame to play stout post defense against power wings – suggesting he could be an option to steal some minutes as the second biggest player on the floor in smaller lineups, which he wasn’t asked to do at Fenerbahçe.

Nunally also proved he can be relied on to stunt-and-recover when Fenerbahçe had its big men hedging against the pick-and-roll and can use his length to get into passing lanes for some takeaways – averaging 1.4 steals per 40 minutes last season.

His contribution on the glass was fairly disappointing, though – as he collected just 11% of opponents’ misses when he was on the floor last season. He struggles to chase shooters off screens as well – lacking the foot speed and the type of body frame suited to slide around picks cleanly.

That also proved to be a problem when Nunnally picked up smaller players on switches. He bends his knees to get down in a stance but is unable to go over screens at the point of attack, gets blown by an unsettling amount in isolation and doesn’t hustle in pursuit to try challenging shots and passes from behind.

https://basketballscouting.wordpress...outing-report/
    Great piece. Great shooting numbers. Fits right in defensively. He'll be so much better than Jamal Crawford.

It will be really interesting to see what type of substitution patterns Thibs goes with throughout the year. Nunnally has the perfect skillset to come in with a group of starters to give Jimmy or Wig a rest and let them lead the 2nd unit but I'm not sure he understands how to have an appropriate rotation pattern that keeps your most talented guys on the court as much as possible. Nunnally getting 16-20 a night just sitting in the corner would do wonders for Wigs or Jimmy's ability to drive and would be the first real weak side shooter KAT could kick it too since he's been in Minnesota.

I'm not optimistic that Thibs can rotate guys well but Nunnally will likely look like he's biting off too much if he's out with all 2nd unit guys and he ends up forcing things. With good players, he could get 4-5 3's a night.

He has a really solid shot. I hope he plays this way in the NBA, the Wolves need a shooter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    It will be really interesting to see what type of substitution patterns Thibs goes with throughout the year. Nunnally has the perfect skillset to come in with a group of starters to give Jimmy or Wig a rest and let them lead the 2nd unit but I'm not sure he understands how to have an appropriate rotation pattern that keeps your most talented guys on the court as much as possible. Nunnally getting 16-20 a night just sitting in the corner would do wonders for Wigs or Jimmy's ability to drive and would be the first real weak side shooter KAT could kick it too since he's been in Minnesota.

I'm not optimistic that Thibs can rotate guys well but Nunnally will likely look like he's biting off too much if he's out with all 2nd unit guys and he ends up forcing things. With good players, he could get 4-5 3's a night.
    I have zero confidence that Nunnelly will see the light of day on this team unless there is an injury. I've watched Thibs enough now to know that I just expect what I've seen in the past. Unlike the stock market....Thibs past substitution pattern is pretty much a guarantee of Thibs future substitution pattern.

We kind of act like Thibs is going to change. We can hope....but he never does.

I thought you were giddy for Broekhoff?

Nunally is a good sign BTW...I'm just busting on ya.
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...

Quote Originally Posted by kingsxman View Post
    I have zero confidence that Nunnelly will see the light of day on this team unless there is an injury. I've watched Thibs enough now to know that I just expect what I've seen in the past. Unlike the stock market....Thibs past substitution pattern is pretty much a guarantee of Thibs future substitution pattern.

Nunnally probably won't play more than 10 minutes a night out of the gate. If/when Butler gets hurt, that may change though
    Inching back towards the wagon...slowly...

Quote Originally Posted by The Country Club View Post
    I thought you were giddy for Broekhoff?

Nunally is a good sign BTW...I'm just busting on ya.
    Wanted both, would've been happy with either.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsxman View Post

the thing is though, he didn't have any decent back up wings last year (which is his fault as GM), however, let's hope that between the two rooks, cj williams and nunnally he will find someone who he trusts to play so that Butler and Wiggins can play fewer minutes.

The good news for Nunnally is that Thibs has positioned Rose as the main backup at the 2. Rose can't stay healthy and that will inevitably open minutes at some point. Unless Okogie surprises with more consistency than expected, Nunnally will get a chance.

1 members liked this post.

Thread Information